Free Masonry

5,693 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Blue Bell Ag
BrazosBendHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

as is the Protestant club..Demolay ( sorry if misspelled).
Order of DeMolay, IIRC, is a youth organization that is loosely affiliated with the Masons (I had a friend in college who had been a member of DeMolay, Rainbow was a similar youth org, for girls).

I suspect that one big draw for the Masons and other fraternal orders, several decades ago, was that it gave good ol' boys a place to go to enjoy a brew or a hard drink (particularly the guys who were members of churches that frowned on drinking. In the dry west Texas town where I grew up, it seemed to me that most of the men I saw who sported Masonic rings belonged to those churches in town that frowned on drinking. Maybe it was a coincidence).
The Original AG 76
AG
BQ78 said:

Not trying to paint with too broad a brush here but the young people and youth of today don't seem to be joiners of anything other than sports organizations such as elite sports teams. Guess momma and daddy think every little junior is going to be a professionald athlete. Dreams will die hard when they all don't get a trophy anymore.
I think that one of the things that prolly turns off the yuts is that all of these groups are very hierarchal and structured. It takes years to move up the ladder and most are merit based and require a set of accomplishments and achievements in order to be successful. Its probably the structure part that is the major turnoff as the trend today is " freedom" and do your own thing.
I hope that the great hospital work done by the Shriners can survive. They are an amazing group of men and have served a huge need for decades.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think the difference is in the pace of life. "Back in the day", the wife is taking care of 100% of the house, and the little munchkins are seen, not heard, playing baseball on the vacant lot. No TV to occupy dad, etc. So the fraternal organizations served a real need for networking, socializing, etc.

Men today don't have the leisure time to join. Wives aren't tolerant of 'old boys clubs'. Kids have to be taken to activities and the dads are coaching. Etc. Etc.

I appreciate the good works of the Shiners and others, but they are about as relevant as the buggy whip makers.
IDAGG
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I think the difference is in the pace of life. "Back in the day", the wife is taking care of 100% of the house, and the little munchkins are seen, not heard, playing baseball on the vacant lot. No TV to occupy dad, etc.
I think this is pretty spot on. Someone told me years ago that the advent of TV was one of the major reasons that fraternal lodges in general were in decline. I have also heard that a lot of these lodges were strongest in small to medium sized towns. If you think about the proliferation of TV since the early 50s and then the decline of small towns as the US has become more urban, it has basically gutted the lodges.

And it is just not the current young people that quit joining. I am near retirement and I only know of one person that is associated with a lodge. He is a Shriner and he is around 60. He mentioned that he is about the youngest person in his lodge. There are only a few younger than him. I asked him what he thought the average age of his lodge was and he said about 70. These fraternal orders haven't been popular "with the younger crowd" since sometime in the middle of the past century.
Stive
AG
According to everything I've heard and read, they peaked in the 50's after WW2. The fraternal aspects of the military was something that a lot of those guys missed greatly. Throw in the reduction in farming (daylight to dark hours...no spare time), the access to a car to get to meetings easily, TV was on the way up but wasn't all the way there yet......and you have a perfect storm for the boom in those organizations.

That's interesting about the previous posters comment about small towns. Coming from a fairly small town in NE Texas, according to my dad (he's mid 60's now) there was a decent crowd in fraternal organizations but he seemed to think it was more a city thing. Factory workers, business men, and professionals had more set hours during the day, and thus more time/energy to go to an evening meeting. The farmers and ranchers "didn't have time for that crap" and did their interaction with other men at the feed store, sale barn, or church on Sunday. I'm not saying that's more correct than the thought that the small towners did it more, but just thought I'd mention it as a different point of view.
IDAGG
AG
Stive, you make some good points. I decided to GoogleFu and see if there was any facts. I found this article which backs up a lot of what you are saying:

Quote:

For instance, the Freemasons are far from their glory days. They have lost nearly 3.8 million members since their peak in the late 1950s.

The national decline for the Elks started in 1980, and membership dropped from 1.64 million to 802,592 in 2012.

The Lafayette No. 143 Elks lodge has experienced similar membership losses since 1970. Back then, the lodge had more than 2,000 members. In 2010, there were only 322 members.
And to your point about returning WW II veterans:

Quote:

It was the "Greatest Generation," or World World II veterans, who triggered the major boom in many organizations after the war ended in 1945.

"They were ready to own this society, to be a part of everything," said Duane Vaught, deputy grandmaster of Grand Encampment of Knights Templar, a Christian-oriented fraternal organization open only to Freemasons. "Unbelievable numbers of them joined everything. Our membership skyrocketed starting in the mid-'40s until the mid-'60s. Our membership was huge in the '50s. Everybody wanted to be a member."

They were ready to own this society, to be a part of everything.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/18/fraternal-service-groups-battle-waning-membership/
VanZandt92
I don't know that there is a cause and effect of TV to decline of fraternal organizations. Maybe, but I don't make that connection in a linear fashion.
terata
AG
Are you smiling, Stive? MASONS do a lot more for their communities than anyone knows. The Shriners are an outstanding example of a MASONIC organization providing altrustric assistance to many in need.
Stive
AG
What are you talking about?
terata
AG
The tone of your earlier reply seemed derogatory towards MASONRY. It could be me, I am a MASON, and it's one the best moves I've ever made. Any man can be made a MASON, whether they become one is a matter of choice, sort of like AGGIES. Many students attend Texas A&M, but not all are AGGIES. It's a mind set. I can say if a MASON lives the tenets of MASONRY, they will be better men.
Ol Jock 99
AG
He said the masonic order is on life-support and uses outdated fundraising and marketing models. Do you dispute either?

He also mentioned a bunch of positive stuff they do. I don't see the issue.
Stive
AG
^
|
|
|
This

I've posted 3 comments on this thread: one was a one liner commenting about Cheers, one was talking about the small town vs big city memberships, and dynamics. The third is the one I guess you're taking exception to, but I've reread it twice now and I'm trying to figure out how I came across like a jerk. I complimented and admired the organization's service focuses, but simply pointed out where they've failed (drastically) over the last 50 years in the areas of marketing and relevance.

While I'm not a Mason (or a member of any fraternal organization), I'd say I'm about as aware of what they do, where they are organizationally, and where they've failed terribly as anyone out there. My paternal grandfather was one, my uncle is one, my FIL is a past member of the devan and EXTREMELY vocal and inquisitive about all of it, and my BIL is in. I've been to multiple (read 30-40) Shrine events over the last 13 years, and have been asked dozens of times by family members and friends to talk to them about why I think the organization is having trouble recruiting and growing.

I'm not speaking disparagingly about the organization's philanthropic efforts, nor am I gloating in their current irrelevance and future struggles. I'm simply pointing out where they've failed (drastically), and what I believe their future is. Frankly, at this point, if they somehow became relevant again it would be one of the more miraculous turn arounds in recent memory.
terata
AG
I apologize to you Stive. I concur, the organization needs to modernize, however, traditions are hampering the effort. Hopefully, we can turn it around.
terata
AG
Old Jock, no, I'm not disputing either. BTW, are you a MASON?
CanyonAg77
AG
Do you really think that lack of modernization is the only reason its dying?

My guess is that this type of organization is going the way of the buggy whip. I just don't see fraternal organizations as being relevant to modern life. It really doesn't matter how wonderful or charitable they are.

Like drive-in movies, the Amish, etc., there will always be a few holdouts, but times have passed them by.

Good luck to you trying to save an organization you love.
Ol Jock 99
AG
terata said:

Old Jock, no, I'm not disputing either. BTW, are you a MASON?
I am not, but I am a member of a civic service organization in our area of Dallas. My great-grandfather was pretty high ranking (I forget which, upper 20s IIRC), but he was the last family member to be a Mason.
Blue Bell Ag
AG
In the last 12 months, the lodge I belong to has lost 4 members to death. In contrast, we have had 3 new Masons in the same Lodge over the past 5 years. We all know the fraternity is losing members much faster than they can be replaced. The Grand Lodge of Texas has tried a number of different approaches to build membership; however, none of these efforts has helped the Lodge I belong to.

If you get a chance, Google the Sul Ross Lodge in College Station. That lodge is among the most successful in Texas in attracting and maintaining new members.

Finally, I would like to mention that the Lodge in Brenham handed out six $650 scholarships the past Monday night at the high school auditorium.
Stive
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Do you really think that lack of modernization is the only reason its dying?

My guess is that this type of organization is going the way of the buggy whip. I just don't see fraternal organizations as being relevant to modern life. It really doesn't matter how wonderful or charitable they are.

Like drive-in movies, the Amish, etc., there will always be a few holdouts, but times have passed them by.

Good luck to you trying to save an organization you love.
I think the fraternal aspects of it are dying because of most of the things already listed in this thread. I also believe that they could stabilize the organization if they rebranded themselves into a philanthropic group as opposed to the fraternal one.

People enjoy being part of something (church, non-profit, alumni groups, etc.), and many people are looking for something like that to be a part of (especially if it supports a worthy cause). My view is the "worthy cause" aspects of what the lodges have done through the years has been largely hidden from view or misunderstood/miscredited. It's always been about the fraternal aspects and that's what they have largely marketed. That's no longer an attractive aspect for most men and should be forgotten (IMO).

If the group trumpeted the hospitals, burn clinics, etc., updated some of their less attractive aspects (lose the aprons and fezs) and actually marketed themselves publically, then I think they stand a chance.
Rabid Cougar
AG
IDAGG said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I think the difference is in the pace of life. "Back in the day", the wife is taking care of 100% of the house, and the little munchkins are seen, not heard, playing baseball on the vacant lot. No TV to occupy dad, etc.
I think this is pretty spot on. Someone told me years ago that the advent of TV was one of the major reasons that fraternal lodges in general were in decline. I have also heard that a lot of these lodges were strongest in small to medium sized towns. If you think about the proliferation of TV since the early 50s and then the decline of small towns as the US has become more urban, it has basically gutted the lodges.

And it is just not the current young people that quit joining. I am near retirement and I only know of one person that is associated with a lodge. He is a Shriner and he is around 60. He mentioned that he is about the youngest person in his lodge. There are only a few younger than him. I asked him what he thought the average age of his lodge was and he said about 70. These fraternal orders haven't been popular "with the younger crowd" since sometime in the middle of the past century.
Lots of VFW's are closing their doors too even though there are probably as many, if not more, veterans of foreign wars as there were from the late the 40's thru the 70's.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

If the group trumpeted the hospitals, burn clinics, etc., updated some of their less attractive aspects (lose the aprons and fezs) and actually marketed themselves publically, then I think they stand a chance.
I think you have a point.

Yet, in some ways, those weird traditions from George Washington's time (or before) are part of the appeal. It would be a shame to cast them aside. Sort of like we haven't needed someone to actually come down out of the stands as a sub since January 1, 1922.
Stive
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I think you have a point.

Yet, in some ways, those weird traditions from George Washington's time (or before) are part of the appeal. It would be a shame to cast them aside. Sort of like we haven't needed someone to actually come down out of the stands as a sub since January 1, 1922.

Very true!

Now take that same tradition, and make everyone standing in the crowd as a 12th man wear a leather helmet during the games and you have something comparable!
BQ78
AG
TIf only there was an organization that would let me wear a fez and vest and drive a minature sports car in a parade, I would be all over that!
terata
AG
Yeah I do think modernization would help. I need some input from yuts to proceed. Many some gaming programs that allows men to ride around on large Harleys wearing fezs in a virtual sense might appeal to prospects.
Stive
AG
terata said:

Yeah I do think modernization would help. I need some input from yuts to proceed. Many some gaming programs that allows men to ride around on large Harleys wearing fezs in a virtual sense might appeal to prospects.

You'd be surprised! Don't knock it till you try it.

Meanwhile, do us all a favor and film the meeting where you bring that idea up for growth/recruiting purposes. I'd like to see a clip of old men's heads exploding (not literally of course).
Ulrich
I thought Masonry was a historical thing that no longer exists. I did know about Shriners but I didn't know they were Masons until I read this thread.

Granted that my family is not involved and I'm not interested in the idea of joining clubs, but as a 29 year old guy I'm going to say there is definitely some work to be done on the publicity/recruiting front.
wesag
AG
Ulrich said:

I thought Masonry was a historical thing that no longer exists. I did know about Shriners but I didn't know they were Masons until I read this thread.

Granted that my family is not involved and I'm not interested in the idea of joining clubs, but as a 29 year old guy I'm going to say there is definitely some work to be done on the publicity/recruiting front.

They don't really recruit. You ask them one time and they provide you info and can provide a mentor. That's it.
Trinity Ag
S
BrazosBendHorn said:

Quote:

as is the Protestant club..Demolay ( sorry if misspelled).
Order of DeMolay, IIRC, is a youth organization that is loosely affiliated with the Masons (I had a friend in college who had been a member of DeMolay, Rainbow was a similar youth org, for girls).

I suspect that one big draw for the Masons and other fraternal orders, several decades ago, was that it gave good ol' boys a place to go to enjoy a brew or a hard drink (particularly the guys who were members of churches that frowned on drinking. In the dry west Texas town where I grew up, it seemed to me that most of the men I saw who sported Masonic rings belonged to those churches in town that frowned on drinking. Maybe it was a coincidence).

I was a DeMolay. We had a very active chapter, but it is closed now. It is still around in Texas, but much smaller that it was in the 80s.

It was supported by the Masonic Lodges, who provided adult sponsors and allowed us to use the Lodges for meetings.

I never made the transition to Mason, even though my grandfather was a 33rd degree.
terata
AG
That's very impressive Trinity Ag. Any 33 MASON is respected.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

People enjoy being part of something (church, non-profit, alumni groups, etc.), and many people are looking for something like that to be a part of (especially if it supports a worthy cause). My view is the "worthy cause" aspects of what the lodges have done through the years has been largely hidden from view or misunderstood/miscredited. It's always been about the fraternal aspects and that's what they have largely marketed
I think this is a good point that extends well beyond the Masons. I've been a part of other fraternal/civic organizations, and there's just nothing to be enthused about driving across town to attend a monthly meeting and listen to the same speeches by the same people every month. Conversely, I see tons of people volunteering for active organizations like the Houston Rodeo which present 1.) a charitable aspect; 2.) stated benefits, and 3.) STUFF TO DO.

I'm happy to volunteer for the neighborhood park group and things that involve activity. But social networking just isn't the compelling draw that it was in smaller communities during the middle of the last century.
Eliminatus
AG
All the posts so far seem valid to me. I am 31 years old and have had a small interest in joining before.

But the semi-secretive nature of it is also what is preventing a lot of growth I am sure. No one close to me is a Mason nor do I know any friends who are one. It has always been a word of mouth organization. Which is fine.

But what do you do when they aren't many mouths? Or any around you. Free Masonry becomes out of sight, out of mind. Do you just show up at the local lodge or something? I had always heard you need a sponsor. But I do not know for sure. And that is the problem. There is not much knowledge out there on even how to join. Fathers inducting sons only lasts for so long.

So to add another vote of modernization. You want new blood, you have to start actively recruiting. Because to put it bluntly Freemasonry is simply not a thing to most young men. Most of us are completely ignorant on it. To the point there is little interest in it. Generally speaking that is.
A.G.S.
AG
I am a member of Sul Ross, and while I haven't been a Mason very long, I can attest that out of the few other Lodges I have had the privilege of visiting, we do seem to have the most variety in the age of our members. I imagine it is similar at Lodges in close proximity to major universities.

We do have many members in their 70's and 80's, but we also have quite a few students who join every year, and a lot in their 20's and 30's.

I agree with most of the posters here, that it would be great for the health of the organization if more of their charitable works were better advertised. Freemasonry, along with all of its associated organizations, do a significant amount of philanthropic works, and in order to continue those works there will need to be new members to take the reigns.

If anyone does have any questions there is generally a meeting ( or at least someone there) most Monday evenings. Next Monday, the 12th, is a meeting and there will be a dinner beforehand, so there will certainly be a large number there. Even if not for the masonic aspect, it is definitely interesting to hear about the history of our Lodge in respect to the history of A&M.
Blue Bell Ag
AG
I've wanted to visit Sul Ross for a long time. Hopefully I'll get off my arse and make the short drive to College Station from Brenham.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.