Agent Garbo

942 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Original AG 76
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
'Agent Garbo,' The Spy Who Lied About D-Day

I was listening to the podcast Tell Me Something I Don't Know and this man came up.

Apparently, he wanted to help the Allies during WW2 but they had no interest in making him a spy. So he approached the Germans and told them that he would spy for them. He created fake reports using the information he got from a library and the British caught wind. So he helped the British by spreading disinformation to the Germans, including information about the D-Day landing.

Really interesting stuff.
BQ78
AG

Rule 1, IFIFY
AgRyan04
There is a book by Ben Macintyre called Double Cross which includes Garbo and all his double agent cohorts who helped with the D-Day misinformation.....great read.

He has another one called A Spy Among Friends that is about a triple agent
The Original AG 76
AG
One of the greatest, yet largely unheralded, achievements of the war was the ability of the British to " roll up" every Axis spy network and agent in the UK during the war. The resulting disinformation campaign was worth a few divisions , at least, and definitely shortened the war.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.