Seventy-five years ago right now...

2,389 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gigemhilo
thach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sixteen B-25Bs launched from USS Hornet (CV 8) were dropping bombs on Tokyo, Nagoya, and other locations in the Empire of Japan.

If the link works, here's John A. Hilger's (Class of 1932) story from Life Magazine from May 1943: Life

Of course, several other Aggies were involved as well, including Bob Gray and George Gay (indirectly, as an observer of the day's events as a member of VT-8).
JABQ04
dcbowers
AG
Lt. Col. Richard "Dick" Cole Of Comfort, Texas is the lone remaining Raider. Truly the greatest generation.

http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/territory/the-last-raider-wwii-legacy-cemented-on-th-anniversary-of/article_b79bd594-c66c-570a-9d88-d775a281aeab.html
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
In roughly an hour and a half, the last Silver Goblet toast will be made. Hard to fathom after 75 years. Really wish I could be at Wright-Patt today, especially for that 17 plane B-25 flyover. That's gonna be a sight, I bet.
The Original AG 76
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

In roughly an hour and a half, the last Silver Goblet toast will be made. Hard to fathom after 75 years. Really wish I could be at Wright-Patt today, especially for that 17 plane B-25 flyover. That's gonna be a sight, I bet.
Where do they get 17 B-25's ? I had no idea that there were that may still flying ! I though that the Raiders had their last " Silver Goblet" ceremony a few years ago when there were a few more still with us.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Maximus_Meridius said:

Where do they get 17 B-25's ? I had no idea that there were that may still flying ! I though that the Raiders had their last " Silver Goblet" ceremony a few years ago when there were a few more still with us.
There are quite a few still flying, but I had figured the number closer to 10-12, and of varying different models. I don't think they've had 17 come together in one spot in a very long time. I'm talking decades. I don't know if they've even had that many at Oshkosh.

So about two years ago was when they opened the famous bottle of Hennessy cognac that was bottled Jimmy Doolittle's birthyear. Prior to that, they used different bottles. The plan had been for them to save that bottle until there were two left, and then they would open it and toast their fallen/passed comrades. They did it when there were 4 left, but only 3 were able to make it, mainly because they were all so old that making it one more year was considered risky. I think that was 2 years ago, but someone fact check me there. Today (in 45 minutes), I'm not sure what bottle Cole will use, but this will be the last Goblet ceremony ever (though I suspect they'll have one following his death, and probably be the children toasting their parents or something similar, and that would probably be the end-someone has to turn Cole's over).
GasAg90

I've been fortunate to be associated with the Raiders for several years and to attend reunions, toasts, etc. The children, which have known each other years, are continuing reunions and have set up a 501c for educational purposes.

There are a surprising number of b-25s still flying. I think it was the 70th (maybe the 68th) reunion they assembled over 20 b-25s for a flyover.

coyote68
No words from me that can express enough gratitude for what those men did. And there were many hundreds of thousands just like them.

gigemhilo
AG
My wife's uncle owns one of the B-25s that was at the anniversary. "God and Country" hangered at Mid America Flight Museum in Mt Pleasant, TX (KOSA).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Growing up, those guys were heroes in my eyes. Still are. Would have loved to see 17 Mitchell's flying.
CanyonAg77
AG
So it's currently about 10:30 in the morning of April 21st in the Phillipines.

Quote:

It was April 1942, and World War II had the nation in a chokehold. In the fight against Japan, the small island of Corregidor in Manila Bay was the last of America's strongholds in the area. As the small island continued to be pummeled by artillery shells from Japanese planes, the only safe spot for American soldiers was the bombproof Malinta Tunnel. The 830-foot by 35-foot passagewayused as headquarters, a supply depot and makeshift hospitalbecame the spot of Aggie legend.

It was April 21,San Jacinto Day, Brig. Gen. George F. Moore, Class of 1908, realized. According to the book Softly Call the Muster by John A. Adams, Jr. '73, Moore asked another Aggie, Maj. Tom Dooley '35, if they could get a list of the Aggies fighting at Corregidor. There were 24 of them.

"So, we had a roll call, and a muster is a roll call," Dooley was quoted as saying. He sent word to one of the news correspondents reporting from the island, and the reporter wired the story back to the states.

Sometimes in tradition, truth and legend land so close together, a historian can get whiplash. And somewhere along the newswire, the tale of Aggie Muster at Corregidor grew wings, said retired University Archivist David Chapman '67. The Houston Post ran the headline, "Aggies Fete San Jacinto35 Texans Bear Down on Famed Fight Song." The story said the group gathered in the tunnel and "sang Texas songs."

Impossible, said Chapman. The story is debunked by other accounts, too. It was war, Chapman said. Artillery shells rained from the sky; there was no way the Aggies would have physically gathered together, he said.

But as a historian, Chapman calls no foul. The story, he explained, gave hope to a nation and helped cement the genuine celebration Muster triggers now. It gave Muster an international standing. This year there will be more than 325 Musters held around the world, but it was that 1942 Muster that provided the inspiration for what Muster has become.
https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/133894/the-1942-corregidor-muster/
SRBS
aalan94
AG
Here they are in all their glory:

gigemhilo
AG
I think God and Country was either the third or th eforth to fly in on that first video. I couldnt get a good look at either plane, but she was polished aluminum and loaded with guns on the front.

I didnt see her on the second video.

This is a picture of her at the reunion:

gigemhilo
AG
Lots of good video and pictures of the reunion event here:

Urbanna Reunion Facebook Page
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.