Texas City is GONE !!! 70 years ago today

2,342 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BQ78
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Texas City explosion happened today 70 years go. Largest non-nuclear explosion known to man.
https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/lyt01
JABQ04
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

The Texas City explosion happened today 70 years go. Largest non-nuclear explosion known to man.

I'm sitting at work in a refinery now in Texas City. Didn't even dawn on me that today is the day.
The Original AG 76
AG
JABQ04 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

I'm sitting at work in a refinery now in Texas City. Didn't even dawn on me that today is the day.
Go find some old timers and visit. The stories are amazing. Like the WW2 vets they are getting very scarce. The carnage was horrific, especially due to the devastating second explosion. Lots of first responders and just plain ole onlookers were killed in the second.
JABQ04
AG
During site orientation and training this is talked about constantly. The entire Texas City FD, minus one who wasn't there, was killed along with almost all of the curious onlookers.
CanyonAg77
AG
I've mentioned it before, but when my mother graduated from a small West Texas High School in 1947, the sponsors took them on a Senior Trip that included Texas City. And also a trip to Huntsville where they took turns sitting in the electric chair.
spud1910
AG
My grandfather had just started working there. His first day, someone dropped a metal beam almost on top of him, the second day another near miss. The third day he decided that was enough and he didn't go in. That was the day of the explosion.
aalan94
AG
My grandmother was a nurse in Houston and got called to work it. She told some nightmarish stories about that. She was about 25 at the time.

And it was not the largest non-nuclear explosion. There are a lot of competitors for the title, but it's hard to determine. Here are a few that were probably bigger:

Heligoland/British Bang testOn 18 April 1947 British engineers attempted to destroy the entire North Sea island of Heligoland in what became known as the "British Bang". Roughly 4000 tons of surplus World War II ammunition were placed in various locations around the island and set off. The island survived, although the extensive fortifications were destroyed. According to Willmore, the energy released was 1.31020 erg (1.31013 J), or about 3.2 kilotons of TNT equivalent. The blast is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records under largest single explosive detonation, although Minor Scale was larger.

Ripple Rock, British Columbia, CanadaOn 5 April 1958 an underwater mountain was levelled by the explosion of 1375 tonnes of Nitramex2H, an ammonium nitrate-based explosive. This was one of the largest non-nuclear planned explosions on record, and the subject of the first CBC live broadcast coast-to-coast.

Minor Scale and Misty PictureMany very large detonations have been carried out in order to simulate the effects of nuclear weapons on vehicles and other military material. The largest publicly known test was conducted by the United States Defense Nuclear Agency (now part of the Defense Threat Reduction Agency) on 27 June 1985 at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. This test, called Minor Scale, used 4744 short tons of ANFO, with a yield of about 4 kt. Misty Picture was another similar test a few years later, slightly smaller at 4,685 short tons or 4,250 t.
BQ78
AG

This barge rode 100 feet on shore because of the water surge from the explosion (many of the victims drowned in that surge), the two ton anchor from the Grandcamp was found two miles inland from the explosion site.

My mom was in the eighth grade in Port Arthur that day and said they heard the explosion.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
12 years ago I worked for Sterling Chemicals, which was located at the site of the explosion. There was a huge piece of metal still implanted in a yard across the street from the plant's parking lot, and one of the ship's screws was mounted down the highway as well.

The building I worked in was pretty much a hardened bunker. My office had a window but there was a steel plate covering it and all other windows in that building. In fact, on the day of the BP plant explosion, I was doing some .Net coding and heard a thump. It actually sounded like the pressure adjustment when an AC comes on (not sure if that is how to describe that). Then someone came running down the hall saying something about a mushroom cloud and my reaction was, well, that's enough for today, I am going home.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I've mentioned it before, but when my mother graduated from a small West Texas High School in 1947, the sponsors took them on a Senior Trip that included Texas City. And also a trip to Huntsville where they took turns sitting in the electric chair.
Can you imagine the meltdowns among certain folks in our country if some school did this today?
Smithjg
BQ78 said:

My mom was in the eighth grade in Port Arthur that day and said they heard the explosion.
My dad was 7th grade in PA, at St. Mary's in downtown. His family claims to have heard the explosions. One relative lived at Bolivar and he swears his house almost shook off the piers it was built on.
BQ78
AG
Smith:

St. Mary's is where my mom was too, imagine that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.