152 years ago today April 9, 1865

3,529 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
Whiskey Before Breakfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My GGGF James Morris, Co B, 15th Ga Inf, ANV CSA surrendered At Appomattox
JABQ04
AG
If any of you are so inclined, I believe it is fold3, a genealogy website, that has free access to civil war records for two weeks this month.

I looked at documents for multiple relatives, two of whom served in Co K. 5th Texas. One was KIA at Chicamauga and the other WIA at Spotyvania before apparently going AWOL (according to his is pay book on the site) from a Richmond Hospital in summer 1864. He lived for sure because he made it back to Polk County, TX.

Another I'm reasonably sure was with the Co K, 1st Texas for the entire war, which is amazing to have survived all he did and surrender at Appomattox.
Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
That your ancestor survived Millers Cornfield at Sharpsburg.... Is remarkable
CanyonAg77
AG
Whiskey Before Breakfast said:

My GGGF James Morris, Co B, 15th Ga Inf, ANV CSA surrendered At Appomattox

no good at posting pics

You are trying to post the web page as an image. In Firefox, right click the image, "Copy image location" and just post that, not the whole page.

Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
thanks!
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

If any of you are so inclined, I believe it is fold3, a genealogy website, that has free access to civil war records for two weeks this month.

I looked at documents for multiple relatives, two of whom served in Co K. 5th Texas. One was KIA at Chicamauga and the other WIA at Spotyvania before apparently going AWOL (according to his is pay book on the site) from a Richmond Hospital in summer 1864. He lived for sure because he made it back to Polk County, TX.

Another I'm reasonably sure was with the Co K, 1st Texas for the entire war, which is amazing to have survived all he did and surrender at Appomattox.
Very cool! Don't see to many people that had relatives actually in Hood Texas Brigade. There were only about 5,000 of them total over the duration of the war. Only 600 or so surrendered at Appomattox.

Unless they were consolidated into other units due to casualties, most civil war soldiers served their entire enlistment in the same unit.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Need to read "Hood's Texas Brigade; Lee's Grenadier Guard" by Harold Simpson. It is the "have to" read on the Brigade. Has all of the regiments rosters in it too. Read it in high school and many times since.
JABQ04
AG
Sitting in the book shelf right now. Also have "Hoods Texas Brigade" by Polley and "The Bloody Fifth" (a history of the 5th Texas) on my kindle.

We're going to D.C. this summer and first stop is at Gettysburg. I also get a few hours to hit Antietam as we swing back down to Virginia so I'm pretty excited about that.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Sitting in the book shelf right now. Also have "Hoods Texas Brigade" by Polley and "The Bloody Fifth" (a history of the 5th Texas) on my kindle.

We're going to D.C. this summer and first stop is at Gettysburg. I also get a few hours to hit Antietam as we swing back down to Virginia so I'm pretty excited about that.
Picked up a copy of the Bloody Fifth at Fredericksburg this past winter. It had just came out. Only the 1st Volume. Waiting for more.

Gettysburg is awesome experience. My wife's cousin lives just north of Barlow's Knoll. Spent many a day walking the battlefield.

on the way south you will pass all of the fights of the 1862 Maryland campaign. Fox Gap, Turners Gap, Burkettsville , South Mountain all leading up to Sharpsburg. Try to get to Harpers Ferry too.
JABQ04
AG
Noticed it was only one volume. Really haven't gotten into it yet. All this hype about the IT remake made me want to read that one.
BQ78
AG
While swinging back through Viriginia you will want to go to the Wilderness and the Widow Tapp Field where the 5th had their greatest moment of the war.
JABQ04
AG
The Civil War is one of my favorite things to study. With the impending trip this summer Iv been trying to tie in family history to it. My first cousin is a huge genealogy buff, and has traced parts of the family back to the mid 1600s from England and Germany. Here are two 100% positive family members who served in Hoods Texas Brigade, Co K 5th Texas Infantry.

The first is a man named John Porter Smith. He passed in 1919 and is my Great Great Grandmothers Brother. (Family has a history of living long and producing children for a loooonnngggg time) His final wound, which is shown being treated in June 1864 and again Oct 1864 was taken at Spotslyvania. he does not appear on the rolls of the surrender of the ANV, so either he bolted when he had the chance or was invalided out. He was married in Texas in june of 1865.

Enlistment and first page of his pay book

Wounded at Gaines Mill

Present for Duty for Gettysburg

Wounded Gaines Mill again (casualty Report notification)

John C Beard (great great grandmas husband's uncle)

Enlsitment

Present for Duty at Gettysburg

Appointed company 1SG

KIA Chicamauga

Sorry if this is too long. I highly recommend the fold 3 sight for civil war research, The free trial for civil war records expires on the 15th of this month.
JABQ04
AG
BQ78 said:

While swinging back through Viriginia you will want to go to the Wilderness and the Widow Tapp Field where the 5th had their greatest moment of the war.

Trust me, I wish I could. I have reached my Civil War limit according to my wife. Plus we have a 10 year old and a 5 year, and they aren't going to want to be drug all over Virginia for that......yet.

Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
option short side
AG
Very neat Whiskey. I find the entire Petersburg campaign and subsequent retreat to Appomattox fascinating. Lee was such an aggressive commander so I can only imagine his frustration being pinned down. I plan on taking a vacation this fall to the Shenandoah Valley.
SRBS
Great thread!!
Rabid Cougar
AG
option short side said:

Very neat Whiskey. I find the entire Petersburg campaign and subsequent retreat to Appomattox fascinating. Lee was such an aggressive commander so I can only imagine his frustration being pinned down. I plan on taking a vacation this fall to the Shenandoah Valley.
Petersburg Campaign was brutal as was what is called the Appomattox Campaign. I worked summers as living historian at PNB while I was in school. Terrific area in regards to ACW battlefields. Most of the big forts are still there as well as miles of trench lines. I highly recommend Pamplin Park. It has the National Museum of the Civil War Soldier and lost of interactive living history. It located just off the Boyden Plank Road on the Breakthrough battlefield (April 2, 1865 )in front of Forts Gregg and Whitworth. pamplinpark,org.

There are many good books to read up on the Siege.

the Appomattox campaign is a hidden gem. Nearly all the roads and railroads that the armies used are still there. Many witness buildings. Sailors Creek battlefield is a must see. I had the honor of working with THE historian of that campaign. Chris Calkins. He was the historian at PNB when I worked their but he is the expert in the Retreat. he is now the Superintendent of the Sailors Creek Battlefield State Park. He took me on many a trips through the back roads of south central Virginia as we retraced all the movements of both armies.

The Shenandoah battlefields are pretty neat too. Winchester had five battles alone.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

The Civil War is one of my favorite things to study. With the impending trip this summer Iv been trying to tie in family history to it. My first cousin is a huge genealogy buff, and has traced parts of the family back to the mid 1600s from England and Germany. Here are two 100% positive family members who served in Hoods Texas Brigade, Co K 5th Texas Infantry.

The first is a man named John Porter Smith. He passed in 1919 and is my Great Great Grandmothers Brother. (Family has a history of living long and producing children for a loooonnngggg time) His final wound, which is shown being treated in June 1864 and again Oct 1864 was taken at Spotslyvania. he does not appear on the rolls of the surrender of the ANV, so either he bolted when he had the chance or was invalided out. He was married in Texas in june of 1865.

Enlistment and first page of his pay book

Wounded at Gaines Mill

Present for Duty for Gettysburg

Wounded Gaines Mill again (casualty Report notification)

John C Beard (great great grandmas husband's uncle)

Enlsitment

Present for Duty at Gettysburg

Appointed company 1SG

KIA Chicamauga

Sorry if this is too long. I highly recommend the fold 3 sight for civil war research, The free trial for civil war records expires on the 15th of this month.
I was disappointed to find that these documents are modern computer templates filled in with information from originals.
BQ78
AG
Option Short Side:

Noah Truedeau has an interesting theory that Lee purposely got his army out of communication with Davis, delayed a day and took the longer route to Appomattox so Grant could catch him and he be able to surrender and not be accused of disobeying Davis' orders. It is an interesting theory and he is quite convincing presenting it but of course Lee never would have admitted to it.
JABQ04
AG
You'll have to forgive my ignorance on these. So these documents are just modern day templates that they went and filled out with the info provided? If that's the case then it matches exactly what my cousins genealogical research has found and been passed on. I just got caught up in the moment of finding these and didn't think to verify the originality of the documents. I had hell trying to post them, couldn't figure out how to save them and upload so just took screen shots of my computer and posted those. what should I look for to make sure they are original?
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

Option Short Side:

Noah Truedeau has an interesting theory that Lee purposely got his army out of communication with Davis, delayed a day and took the longer route to Appomattox so Grant could catch him and he be able to surrender and not be accused of disobeying Davis' orders. It is an interesting theory and he is quite convincing presenting it but of course Lee never would have admitted to it.
I don't buy it.

He was marching without a supply train. He was trying meet trains that were being sent from the west with supplies which required him to stay as near the rail lines as possible. This route also allowed Federal cavalry to get ahead of him, which caused lee to take the long way. I also don't think he would have sacrificed a large portion of his army at Sailor's Creek if he was just going to "give up". If that theory was true, he would have given a token effort and surrendered several days before hand.
BQ78
AG
Truedeau bases his theory heavily on Alexander's family memoir, where Alexander questions Lee's delay and taking the long road to Appomattox, allowing the Cav to catch up and surround him.

You know Lee wasn't counting on Sayler's Creek and wasn't even really aware of it until he turned around and came back to see the army dissolving. Truedeau's theory, accurate or not, Sayler's Creek wasn't part of Lee's plan or even within his control.
option short side
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

option short side said:

Petersburg Campaign was brutal as was what is called the Appomattox Campaign. I worked summers as living historian at PNB while I was in school. Terrific area in regards to ACW battlefields. Most of the big forts are still there as well as miles of trench lines. I highly recommend Pamplin Park. It has the National Museum of the Civil War Soldier and lost of interactive living history. It located just off the Boyden Plank Road on the Breakthrough battlefield (April 2, 1865 )in front of Forts Gregg and Whitworth. pamplinpark,org.

There are many good books to read up on the Siege.

the Appomattox campaign is a hidden gem. Nearly all the roads and railroads that the armies used are still there. Many witness buildings. Sailors Creek battlefield is a must see. I had the honor of working with THE historian of that campaign. Chris Calkins. He was the historian at PNB when I worked their but he is the expert in the Retreat. he is now the Superintendent of the Sailors Creek Battlefield State Park. He took me on many a trips through the back roads of south central Virginia as we retraced all the movements of both armies.

The Shenandoah battlefields are pretty neat too. Winchester had five battles alone.

Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

You'll have to forgive my ignorance on these. So these documents are just modern day templates that they went and filled out with the info provided? If that's the case then it matches exactly what my cousins genealogical research has found and been passed on. I just got caught up in the moment of finding these and didn't think to verify the originality of the documents. I had hell trying to post them, couldn't figure out how to save them and upload so just took screen shots of my computer and posted those. what should I look for to make sure they are original?
They are originals but not the actual Confederate unit muster roles. The information is from the actual muster roles /daily reports though. The actual document appears to be something filled in with information from other sources at some point after the war. I looked up my surname and found both my Federal and Confederate relatives information but the forms that contain the information are identical. One says "Federal" and the other says "Confederate".

My dad has copies of original muster roles. The don't look like these documents. Originals are not individualized.

Rabid Cougar
AG
Look at the bottom of the this document. It gives the units history. An original unit document would not have this. This was created after the war.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.