HMS Royal Oak

5,353 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aalan94
coupland boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've often wondered if it was visible from the surface given the right conditions. But typically the only pictures I can find are of the lime green buoy. I found this photo which indicated it was the hull of the Royal Oak.

Anyway, this wreck has always fascinated me.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
elaborate !
coupland boy
AG
The upturned hull of the Royal Oak lies about 12.5 meters (about 40 feet) below the surface of the water. That's kind of deep but the ship is also a pretty big object too.

I'm asking if anyone knows if the ship is actually visible looking down at the water from above. I don't know if the picture i posted is BS or not. You'd think there'd be more photos of the wreck if it were visibke under the right conditions - such as calm water, correct sun angle, and water clarity. I also don't see the green buoy that the British have moored over the ship (a war grave that diving is strictly prohibited) in that photo.
coupland boy
AG
Royal Oak underway - a beautiful ship.

Sonar image of the wreck

Marker buoy:

Excellent female specimen (just because)

GasAg90
This history needs to be repeated.
JABQ04
AG
You got me curious about it and looked it up. Due to the way the wreck lies, they said, on clear water conditions, you can see the hull 5-10m down. Also due to oil leaking, they were able to remove a large portion of the fuel from her. Pretty neat info on the ship
coupland boy
AG
Thank you. I wasn't looking for stars for the girl. But she is magnificent though, ain't she?

Anyway, I have been looking and looking and just can't find anything about visibility. Perhaps tides vary the depth but not 5 to 15 meters which is what I've read. 5 meters? Yes that's probably visible. 10 or more? I don't know.

I think it's pretty cool how the Brits fly the Royal Navy's ensign on the hull and swap it out annually.

Reading about the oil removal bit was pretty cool as well.

I wonder why the propellers were removed? Is it because those things are valuable?
JABQ04
AG
Heres some good info on the ship. And I was wrong, or misread the depth. At the shallowest she is only 12m from the surface.

http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/wrecks/royal-oak/wreck.php

And yes, the girl was definetly star worthy. A+ for that effort sir!
coupland boy
AG
But i too saw 5 meters written somewhere as well
JABQ04
AG
Wikipedia has it listed as within 5m and Abel to be seen under clear conditions.

Didn't hit me until I reread an article that over 100 dead were boys under the age of 18 who were part of the "Boy Seaman" group. Sounds kind of like a combo of Sea Scouts, JROTC, and an early enlistment program.

Also how lucky Gunther Prien got in not only making it and out of Scapa Flow, but being able to take multiple salvoes at the ship.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Wikipedia has it listed as within 5m and Abel to be seen under clear conditions.

Didn't hit me until I reread an article that over 100 dead were boys under the age of 18 who were part of the "Boy Seaman" group. Sounds kind of like a combo of Sea Scouts, JROTC, and an early enlistment program.

Also how lucky Gunther Prien got in not only making it and out of Scapa Flow, but being able to take multiple salvoes at the ship.
Because he wasn't supposed to be able to get in there. They had no idea that the first explosion was a torpedo hit. After the attack the Brits filled in the inlet that he got past a block ship with earth.
aalan94
AG
Wow. Battleships and boobies. What's not to like?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.