Museum of the American Revolution

975 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sapper Redux
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opens in Philadelphia on April 19th. Been looking forward to this as this is my favorite time period if they include the Constitutional Convention as well.

Makes me want to spend our next family road trip in the Northeast

We are going for a trip to NOLA next month and I have added a spa day for the wife to hit up the WW2 museum
Sapper Redux
The Constitution Center in Philly already does a very good job of covering the convention and the lasting debates over the Constitution. I wasn't sure how they could pull off a museum dedicated to a document, but they did.

Philly itself is very much worth visiting. They have the only remaining Spanish-American War battleship along with a ton of 18th and early 19th century sites. If you want to visit Independence Hall, make sure you get your tickets first thing in the morning.
BQ78
AG
Quote:

Spanish-American War battleship
Technically it is a cruiser.
aalan94
AG
Yes, the USS Olympia. It is very awesome. Of course, across the river, in New Jersey, is the Battleship New Jersey. Both are worth visiting. I was up there last year doing research at the Historical Society of Philadelphia.
Wicked Good Ag
Dr. Watson said:

The Constitution Center in Philly already does a very good job of covering the convention and the lasting debates over the Constitution. I wasn't sure how they could pull off a museum dedicated to a document, but they did.

Philly itself is very much worth visiting. They have the only remaining Spanish-American War battleship along with a ton of 18th and early 19th century sites. If you want to visit Independence Hall, make sure you get your tickets first thing in the morning.

Thank you for this. I never knew about the Constitution Center. Another thing to add to my list that sadly the family won't care about but I will
Sapper Redux
If you can convince them to go, I guarantee they'll be surprised at how much they enjoy it. It has sections designed to engage kids (say 8-18) in the kinds of debates we still have over the Constitution and it's meaning, and I think it does a really good job.

The Ben Franklin Museum is also worth visiting, though they don't have much material from Franklin himself. It's more a way to show folks daily life in the late 18th century AND just how much of a bad ass rake Franklin was.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.