Famous American that WAS:

1,207 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BQ78
bufrilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
President
Commanding General of Army
Governor (two states)
Senator
USRepresentative (two states)

Now that is a resume!!
Cen-Tex
AG
'Raven' was a busy man
bufrilla
AG
You are correct.
aalan94
AG
You forgot "Drunk" and "Abandoned his wife on his wedding night."
bufrilla
AG
Thanks 94, good old TexAgs with the Negative. Don't think those words would have stood out to identify the person.
aalan94
AG
Commander of the Army might also be a stretch. The Republic of Texas army was little more than a mob and Houston was barely in control of them.

This is not to say I dislike Houston. I love him. But he got all of his early positions from his relationship to Andrew Jackson and he got lucky later on.

I think his best moment was when he fought secession. He knew it would be a disaster and although he prized his reputation, he was willing to sacrifice it for what he believed. I'm not a southern apologist, but neither am I the alternative. With John Brown fresh on their minds, the idea of an abolitionist president caused real and legitimate terror in the south, and although Lincoln was no extremist, he couldn't just go on TV and calm their fears. And the raising of troops to invade the South was a provocative act that needlessly forced Texas over the edge. It was an era in which cooler heads were unable to prevail, even though Houston tried.
BQ78
AG
Quote:

Abandoned his wife on his wedding night."
I always understood this to be more the other way around, she was supposedly physically repulsed by him and freaked out before the deed was done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.