Oliver Stone's "Untold History of the United States"

1,124 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by IDAGG
XpressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This popped up in my Netflix Recommendations and I was curious about whether any of you had seen it.

Starts right around the beginning of WWII, and I'm on the fourth episode and we've just moved into the Truman Doctrine.

One thing I was intrigued by was the light in which Stone paints Henry Wallace. I hadn't learned much about Vice Presidents, but learning about how the Democrat Party bosses basically stole the 4th term for Vice Presidency from Henry Wallace was pretty astounding. Then, Stone keeps bringing Wallace back into the picture as the 'voice of reason' (my words) against Truman's ignorance (my words) of what THE Bomb would accomplish on a global stage beyond just Hiroshima.

Anyways, curious to see if you've watched it...and if you haven't, maybe you should.
dcbowers
AG
David M. Kennedy portrays Henry Wallace as something of a nut who was constantly feuding with others in his party. No wonder he was not a favorite within his own party (especially the southern Democrats). At least for a while, he was enamored with the Soviets, so maybe that is why Oliver Stone likes him.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Martin Cash
AG
Pretty much everything Stone does is 'untold history.'

Untold, because it never happened.
CanyonAg77
AG
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/19/oliver-stone-s-junk-history-of-the-united-states-debunked.html
IDAGG
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/19/oliver-stone-s-junk-history-of-the-united-states-debunked.html

CanyonAg, thanks for posting the link. I had never heard of this book, but of course I know of Oliver Stone and laughed heartily at his movie "JFK".

Of all the great points in the article you linked I found this one funny as hell:

Quote:

Jimmy Carter's national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski, an "obsessed anti-communist" who, the authors note darkly, was a member of the Bilderberg Group and Trilateral Commission, "set the trap for the Russians in Afghanistan."
I have said for a long time that in some respects if one goes far enough to the right and to the left on the political spectrum you wind up meeting. So far-leftist Oliver Stone apparently hates the Trilateral Commission.....the same Trilateral Commission that used to get far-rightist panties in a wad as well. Those of you old enough will remember that some people on the far right were upset with George H.W. Bush for being a member of the Trilateral Commission. As I have said before: Two Sigma gonna Two Sigma. I never thought I would see Oliver Stone high-fiving the John Birch Society. What a world.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.