252 Years Ago

1,167 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sapper Redux
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I know not what others may choose but, as for me, give me liberty or give me death.

Patrick Henry
Richmond, VA
aalan94
AG
Which he probably never said.
Apache
AG
I wonder what the percentage of quotes by famous people out there circulating were dreamed up by writers or uttered by others. Like how the heck did the Spartans get all those great one liners? "We'll fight in the shade" indeed. Herodotus (The Michael Bay of ancient Greece) sure had a way with words.

Anyway, Patrick Henry sure knew how to fire people up. That "Liberty or Death" had been said before, so it's not a stretch if he said it. If it helps history deprived folks know of his existence and importance, then I say let's go on attributing the quote to him. *With an asterisk of course.
BQ78
AG
Well he said something that caused the Virginia Convention to change their tune of the moment. But in keeping with the #fakehistory tune, His second most famous quote:

Quote:

If this be treason, make the most of it!
was apparantly followed by shouts of treason from the listeners and a quick apology from Henry.
Sapper Redux
I used to like Henry until I started learning more about his positions and attacks on people who disagreed with him. Great orator, an ass otherwise.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.