Stonewall Jackson and slavery

5,130 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jickyjack1
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reading this right now:

Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson

Just finished a section on Jackson and slavery. It's very interesting and shows the wide varieties of slave ownership, that don't fit the traditional Uncle Tom's Cabin Narrative.

Jackson owned six slaves, three that he got on his own and three given to him as a wedding gift when he married his second wife. The three he had were slaves who belonged to other owners who were facing bankruptcy and the slaves themselves came to Jackson to ask him to buy them. Jackson was well-loved in the African-American community because he had started a bible study program for blacks, and when a lawyer told him he was violating a Virginia law against educating slaves, he basically said that it was his Christian duty to save the souls of blacks as well as whites and that if the lawyer had a problem with that, then he had a problem with Christianity, so shut up.

The first slave who asked Jackson to buy him did so with the agreement that Jackson, who had no real need for a slave, would let him work for cash and buy his freedom, which Jackson did, although he had to wait longer than the original plan because the slave got sick. Another slave was a young girl that he bought because a friend couldn't take care of her. She got sick and he moved her into his house and took care of her, until ultimately she died. He lost money on her.

The slaves that came with his wife were a mother and her two sons. The mother stayed in their house as a cook and his wife referred to her as "my treasure" or something. The two boys drove his carriage for him.

This is a very different kind of mentality towards slavery than we're generally exposed to. I won't make the argument that it was very common, but as in all cases, the types of slavery would have been as varied as the owners themselves.
Sapper Redux
Jackson's actual feelings about slavery hare a little hard to deduce. He didn't leave much in the way of writings on the subject and his biographers sometimes tend towards what they hope rather than what they can prove. Jackson was kinder towards slaves than many other owners and his school was a success unlike previous attempts. It should be noted that the challenge to his school wasn't a very serious one. Other schools of a similar nature had been tried in the recent past. The big issue was allowing slaves to assemble together. What we don't have is any evidence that he ever questioned the system of slavery.
BQ78
AG
Sure we know what his thoughts on slavery were; it was portrayed in the movie Gods and Generals with him kneeling in the snow at Chancellorsville with his cook Jim Lewis just before the Battle of Fredericksburg praying for Jim's freedom. That was certainly one of the more cringe worthy scenes in a movie full of them.

Seriously, although a completely fictional episode, it does accurately reflect Jackson's belief in God's will. With slavery like most things in his life, it is not hard to ascertain what he thought. He was a man who saw all through a prism of Christianity. He felt it was God's will that slavery existed and therefore it was accepted and not questioned. It was his duty to treat all men with Christian respect and to help them save their souls.

Had Jackson lived it would have been interesting to see how he accepted southern defeat. Many southerners, Robert E. Lee included, had a crisis of faith after the war wondering how God could allow them to be defeated. IMO, Jackson's faith was so strong that he probably would have been able to move on with his life and faith.
Post removed:
by user
Sapper Redux
Why couldn't they have treated the freedmen as their brothers?
Post removed:
by user
aalan94
AG
Finished the book, by the way. It actually makes me appreciate the historical accuracy of Gods and Generals that much the more. While the movie dragged seriously and seemed stilted, it was actually very close. Gwynne recounts a number of episodes directly out of the movie, even the deal with the little girl who befriended Jackson, while kind of silly and hokey, is absolutely true, almost perfectly as shown. The hokey scene with the musicians performing Bonnie Blue Flag did happen, although it was only part of a larger performance.

I think that movie is the ultimate expression of why we rarely get great history and great movies to come together. History is often not perfect for narrative films and artistic license is necessary to keep the plot moving and the watcher from becoming confused. Thinking about recent movies, the most historically accurate that I can recall in the last few years is Unbroken. But the story lent itself to it. Most historical events are too confused, two slow in developing, or have too many characters to be convenient movies.
Sapper Redux
Sorry, but Gods and Generals felt very Lost Cause to me.
BQ78
AG
I think you are both right!
aalan94
AG
Dr. Watson, I agree with you. It is boosterish. But so are many civil war movies. Take Glory, for example. A movie which makes one side out as heroic is an entirely different matter from historical accuracy. Did the Massachusetts regiment have a great record? Certainly. Are they portrayed warts in all? Not really. They certainly didn't portray the rampant racism in the Northern army as much as they could have. The problem is, if we try to make a moral statement about slavery, it will crowd out the movie in every case. But you know what? If you want to talk about what the war was really about, you should show no battlefields and make the movie set in a hospital where people are dying of unrelated diseases, because disease killed more people than battle did.

I'm opposed to whitewashing, but you're never going to find a good mix of accurate commentary on slavery without dumping 30 minutes of sidebar content into a movie that already sucks because it has too much sidebar content.

We should show all movies, particularly Civil War movies, with a disclaimer that this is part of the history of a gigantic event, but to really understand it, you should read history.

The Original AG 76
AG
I guess that I am one of the few that loved Gods and Generals. As you said it was a fairly accurate in its portrayal and being " Lost Cause" made it all the better.
Not much left for us un-reconstructed Southerners in this PC revisionist infested country anymore !
DEO VINDICE
VanZandt92
That being said, there still could be a killer movie about Kings Mountain.
aalan94
AG
Original Ag, I have ancestors who fought for both sides. I find myself rooting simultaneously for Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and the people who are trying to kill him.

If we ever let America get to that serious a point again, let's have the second civil war with paint balls and then all gather for BBQ when it's over.
claym711
AG
Ver good book
45-70Ag
AG
Kind of reminds me of this quote

Quote:

" As I read and study, I pull for Lee, Jackson, and Longstreet. As I live, I thank Grant, Lincoln, and Democracy.
aalan94
AG
What I love about the Civil War is that I can pull for Pickett's men and then at the same time pull for Chamberlain's men over on another part of the battlefield. Bravery is bravery, and both sides were Americans. I even consider the Indian wars to be American vs. American too, although that's anachronistic.
option short side
AG
aalan94 said:

Reading this right now:

Just finished a section on Jackson and slavery. It's very interesting and shows the wide varieties of slave ownership, that don't fit the traditional Uncle Tom's Cabin Narrative.

Jackson owned six slaves, three that he got on his own and three given to him as a wedding gift when he married his second wife. The three he had were slaves who belonged to other owners who were facing bankruptcy and the slaves themselves came to Jackson to ask him to buy them. Jackson was well-loved in the African-American community because he had started a bible study program for blacks, and when a lawyer told him he was violating a Virginia law against educating slaves, he basically said that it was his Christian duty to save the souls of blacks as well as whites and that if the lawyer had a problem with that, then he had a problem with Christianity, so shut up.

The first slave who asked Jackson to buy him did so with the agreement that Jackson, who had no real need for a slave, would let him work for cash and buy his freedom, which Jackson did, although he had to wait longer than the original plan because the slave got sick. Another slave was a young girl that he bought because a friend couldn't take care of her. She got sick and he moved her into his house and took care of her, until ultimately she died. He lost money on her.

The slaves that came with his wife were a mother and her two sons. The mother stayed in their house as a cook and his wife referred to her as "my treasure" or something. The two boys drove his carriage for him.

This is a very different kind of mentality towards slavery than we're generally exposed to. I won't make the argument that it was very common, but as in all cases, the types of slavery would have been as varied as the owners themselves.
Mistreating slaves to the point depicted in Uncle Tom's Cabin was rare as it didn't really make economic sense
Sapper Redux
Actually made perfect economic sense unless you were involved in selling slaves to the Deep South. Once in the Deep South, field slaves were commodities to be used until worthless. The average lifespan was much shorter than the average white lifespan and the average infant mortality rate was significantly higher.
option short side
AG
Sure in large commercial farms, but most slave owners did not own more than a handful of slaves. The price of a slave was continually rising and small land owners could not afford to mistreat slaves for the sake of mistreating them ala Simon Legree, which I believe was what the op was refering to.
Sapper Redux
Have you read accounts such as "12 Years a Slave"? Or Fredrick Douglass' memoirs? The size of holdings does not mean much. Slaves were still frequently brutalized and abused.
option short side
AG
Who argued slaves were not abused or brutalized? I argued that slaves were rarely brutalized just for the sake of being brutalized ala Simon Legree. Slaves were usually at a higher risk of being brutalized on larger plantations. The majority of slave owners held under 5 slaves and faced relative higher economic consequences for the loss of a slave than the large plantation owners.
option short side
AG
Dr. Watson said:

Actually made perfect economic sense unless you were involved in selling slaves to the Deep South. Once in the Deep South, field slaves were commodities to be used until worthless. The average lifespan was much shorter than the average white lifespan and the average infant mortality rate was significantly higher.

The practice of selling and loaning slaves out did not end once they reached the Depe South. Slaves were frequently sold, traded, and loaned out in the Deep South among large and small slave owners alike
Sapper Redux
option short side said:

Who argued slaves were not abused or brutalized? I argued that slaves were rarely brutalized just for the sake of being brutalized ala Simon Legree. Slaves were usually at a higher risk of being brutalized on larger plantations. The majority of slave owners held under 5 slaves and faced relative higher economic consequences for the loss of a slave than the large plantation owners.

There is no such thing as a pure economically rational actor. Furthermore, given the poor state of medical care and the nature of the work, owners had little guarantees about how long their slaves would be productive. And, the very nature of slavery and the concepts of race and class as developed in the South encouraged violence. If you want to say Simon Legree is a caricature you would be correct. The violence was typically more restrained on a day-to-day basis but just as soul-crushing and sadistic.
Sapper Redux
option short side said:

Dr. Watson said:

The practice of selling and loaning slaves out did not end once they reached the Depe South. Slaves were frequently sold, traded, and loaned out in the Deep South among large and small slave owners alike

It depended on their job and skill level. Child mortality was absurdly high in Deep South plantations.
option short side
AG
Dr. Watson said:

option short side said:

There is no such thing as a pure economically rational actor. Furthermore, given the poor state of medical care and the nature of the work, owners had little guarantees about how long their slaves would be productive. And, the very nature of slavery and the concepts of race and class as developed in the South encouraged violence. If you want to say Simon Legree is a caricature you would be correct. The violence was typically more restrained on a day-to-day basis but just as soul-crushing and sadistic.

What is happening here? Who ever said slave owners were pure economic actors? You don't need to be a pure economic actor to not sadistically ruin your property and commodities. I think I was clear as I was talking specifically about the Simon Legree caricature
option short side
AG
Dr. Watson said:

option short side said:

Dr. Watson said:

It depended on their job and skill level. Child mortality was absurdly high in Deep South plantations.

Again I never made the statement that all Deep South slave owners sold loaned there slaves. It was prevalent enough to counter your generalized implication that slaves were sold to the Deep South and became a static labor force. I really feel you aren't reading my posts and throwing straw men
Out there
wesag
AG
I try to steer clear of Lost Cause so won't be reading the book.
wesag
AG
option short side said:

Sure in large commercial farms, but most slave owners did not own more than a handful of slaves. The price of a slave was continually rising and small land owners could not afford to mistreat slaves for the sake of mistreating them ala Simon Legree, which I believe was what the op was refering to.

This sounds like fantasy. What happens when you make a person completely subservient to another and allow them little education and no bargaining power ?
option short side
AG
wesag said:

option short side said:

This sounds like fantasy. What happens when you make a person completely subservient to another and allow them little education and no bargaining power ?
The OP made an observation about the wide varieties of slave ownership and that not all of them fit the traditional narrative of Uncle Tom's cabin. I have shared my opinion as to why many slave owners did not treat their slaves like Simon Legree. Nowhere have I applied present morality or defended slavery in any form. Of course it is brutal.
wesag
AG
aalan94 said:

Reading this right now:

Man the description of the book on Amazon was just gushing. I had thought about reading it, but the title of Rebel Yell is pandering to the crowd in and of itself . Then I read the description and thought, there must certainly be better ways to spend my time than a book intimatimg that slavery wasn't always that bad.

Listen, the arena of history is littered with this sort of book about the CW. The sexy area right now is Reconstruction. As a matter of fact, there is now a good deal of evidence that earlier schools of thought on Reconstruction were another form of Lost Cause, and that Reconstruction wasn't half bad.
jickyjack1
wesag said:

aalan94 said:

Reading this right now:

Man the description of the book on Amazon was just gushing. I had thought about reading it, but the title of Rebel Yell is pandering to the crowd in and of itself . Then I read the description and thought, there must certainly be better ways to spend my time than a book intimatimg that slavery wasn't always that bad.

Listen, the arena of history is littered with this sort of book about the CW. The sexy area right now is Reconstruction. As a matter of fact, there is now a good deal of evidence that earlier schools of thought on Reconstruction were another form of Lost Cause, and that Reconstruction wasn't half bad.

Self evident is that you willfully limit your knowledge of the South, the Civil War or, come to that, slavery before and during the war or black experience after. And are determined not to know, other than what "revisited" history you decide yourself receptive to.

This is far from a claim that darkness was not prevalent in many areas, but there were also many areas in which noble actions were to be seen.

Your attitude is convincingly presented as determination to ignore the latter as either impossible or as occurring at such limited frequency and with such limited positive effect as to make them irrelevant.

Even less worthy would be to declare that "bad" happenings during the period negate and make superfluous everything else to do with, as you term it, "the lost cause".

You doubtless justify such an approach to history by shielding it behind the political moonings of fellow simpletons.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
jickyjack1
For many years after the Civil War, the term "Lost Cause" was used reverently in allusion to a noble * but doomed resistance directed toward an overwhelming (both financially and militarily) power determined to unjustly usurp rights legally vested in it's brothers and countrymen.

This fellow uses the term in derision.

*Despite the all-in but flawed belief of this fellow and those who direct his thoughts, the concept of "noble/nobility" in terms of the Southern cause was during the conflict and for generations after taken extremely seriously, but neither then or since has it by Southerners of quality been used as applying to the institution of slavery. Slavery was seen as economically necessary, but rarely -- if ever -- as noble. It is probably fair to say most Southerners privately considered it an unfortunate necessity; some considered it shameful.

The current political default is that the CW was fought by the South primarily to preserve slavery and by the North to end it. The truth, whether the truth can presently get an audience or not, is much more involved. On both sides.
jickyjack1
tallgrant
jickyjack1 said:

Slavery was seen as economically necessary, but rarely -- if ever -- as noble. It is probably fair to say most Southerners privately considered it an unfortunate necessity; some considered it shameful.

I disagree. If I may quote:

"That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations..."
jickyjack1
tallgrant said:

jickyjack1 said:

Slavery was seen as economically necessary, but rarely -- if ever -- as noble. It is probably fair to say most Southerners privately considered it an unfortunate necessity; some considered it shameful.

I disagree. If I may quote:

"That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations..."

You might note the words "probably", "most" and "some". Certainly there were zealots among the pro-slavery faction; not for a second could anyone claim otherwise. Especially in the passion-filled early stage of the war. Nor is this an effort to claim those with reservations toward the practice were a majority, as that was not the case.

Your unattributed (but certainly typical of excited rhetoric to be heard, especially in the first days when blood was high) quotation, in all it's pro-slavery zeal, still does not claim or even touch on any concept of nobility: that the practice -- of itself -- served a noble purpose. Were the specious claim of Christian sanction cited by your unnamed orator true, that would still not rise to the distinction of "noble". Even it's staunch defenders didn't claim nobility as a justification for slavery; they knew naught but crass economics underlay the unpalatable practice.

That there might well be more period quotations to demonstrate your position than to demonstrate mine is likely. This, even if the case, if far from validating such position as representative of the entire South. Private rumination on the subject might add understanding; consider the times and circumstances. Further I don't feel I can venture because too much speculation is where "what happened" becomes "what one wanted to happen", and that is not History.

What is true for the wesags of the landscape is also true for me; none of us can have it both ways.
jickyjack1
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.