Grave of Amos Gates, one of Austin's Old 300

3,573 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tmaggies
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My aunt shared this post with me. A gentleman who works at Producers Cooperative, William Lazenby, stumbled onto an old cemetery on private property that contains the graves of Amos Gates and his family. Pretty cool stuff.

The post is at https://www.facebook.com/william.lazenby.9/posts/1418574821534602.

Quote:

Today I was asked to go look at a ranch in Washington County with a couple of other Producers employees. This ranch is between 2000 and 3000 acres. The pastures need to be sprayed with herbicide to control weeds and some brush. We needed to scout the target species and determine what product(s) fit the job as well as scouting the terrain before putting our big spray rigs in here. While we are doing this for the man who is leasing the place. I know the previous owner but I didn't know the complete history of the ranch. It lies along the Brazos River just a short distance from where the Navasota River intersects it. At this confluence is the historic town known as Washington-on-the-Brazos. Hopefully you passed Eighth Grade Texas History and remember it is the place where Texas pioneers signed the Texas Declaration of Independence (including Newton County's Claiborne West). The Texians were rushing the process. They had just learned their brothers-in-arms at the Alamo had all been put to the sword at the hands of Santa Anna's army. They had to presume he would soon be here to do the same thing to them. They finished the document and got it signed on March 2nd, 1836 - 181 years ago today. The Texas equivalent of being a historic blue blood is to be able to trace your family line back to one of these signers or perhaps one of veterans of the Texas Revolution. For many Texans, the pinnacle of "blue bloodless" is to be able to claim ancestory back to "The Old Three Hundred", Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin's first 300 settler families. The cattleman with the grazing lease on the place had told us that there was an old abandoned cemetery in one of the big pastures. As we were driving through one of them, we stumbled upon it. It was surrounded by a crumbling rock wall and a wrought iron fence, barely keeping the cows out. I went inside and found the tombstones under assault from brush, McCartney Rose, greenbrier and dewberry vines. There were only seven or eight stones inside with several that were completely illegible from wear. One of them; however, was identified by a Texas Centennial (1936) marker as Amos Gates. Gates was one of Austin's Old Three Hundred, coming to Texas from Kentucky with Captain Abner kuykendall (Marshall E. Kuykendall) in 1821. Gates would ride with Kuykendall in retaliatory expeditions against Indian raiders on the widely scattered settlers cabins. Gates was the first settler in what is today's Washington County (Brenham). He was born in 1799. When he died here in 1883, he was said to be the oldest man in the county. One of the identifiable stones is that of his son, a Civil War veteran. Worn away stones are believed to include his.mother, his sister and her husband. While I'm saddened to see the neglected condition of this old cemetery, I feel blessed that I got to see it on a beautiful Texas spring day.

SRBS
Thanks!!
p_bubel
Cardiac Saturday
drmwvr
AG
Very cool, thanks for sharing!
dr_boogs
AG
Come over to this thread after it was cross posted on Outdoors Board. Thank you for taking the time to make this post and to pay your respect to one of our founding fathers.
water turkey
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.
TwoMarksHand
AG
So cool! I'm a direct descendant of one of the families from The Old Three Hundred.
aggieband 83
Whiskey Before Breakfast
tmaggies
ABATTBQ87
AG

Quote:

Hopefully you passed Eighth Grade Texas History and remember it is the place where Texas pioneers signed the Texas Declaration of Independence (including Newton County's Claiborne West). The Texians were rushing the process. They had just learned their brothers-in-arms at the Alamo had all been put to the sword at the hands of Santa Anna's army. They had to presume he would soon be here to do the same thing to them. They finished the document and got it signed on March 2nd, 1836
Thanks for the great post and pictures: unfortunately someone doesn't know their Texas History according to the highlighted comments
Rex Racer
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

Hopefully you passed Eighth Grade Texas History and remember it is the place where Texas pioneers signed the Texas Declaration of Independence (including Newton County's Claiborne West). The Texians were rushing the process. They had just learned their brothers-in-arms at the Alamo had all been put to the sword at the hands of Santa Anna's army. They had to presume he would soon be here to do the same thing to them. They finished the document and got it signed on March 2nd, 1836
Thanks for the great post and pictures: unfortunately someone doesn't know their Texas History according to the highlighted comments
Yep. Voted on it March 2. Signed it on March 3.
aalan94
AG
I think he was referring to the point that the Alamo had not fallen on March 2, but on March 6. A more proper way to write it would be that they were voting in a hurry because they expected the Alamo to fall at any moment.
tmaggies
AG
Had a similar story recently with Jesse Grimes. He was a signer of Texas Declaration and first State and Federal senator of our great state. Found his homestead and family graveyard in a cattle pasture near Navasota. He was later moved with his wife to State Cemetery in Austin. His family members and daughters grave still there but in very bad shape. Have the honor to claim family......grandmother was a Grimes. No one at Star of Texas Museum knew the location or the local historians.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.