Balfour Declaration Theories

998 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BQ78
aeroag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have thoughts/opinions on the Balfour Declaration's role in bringing the US into WWI?

This is something that I was not particularly familiar with until recently and is quite an interesting piece of history. I am interested in what others have to say/think on the subject

Specifically interested to see if anyone has any theories/opinions on Benjamin Freedman's claims and speculation as to the reasoning behind and ramifications of the Balfour Declaration.
aalan94
AG
Pretty sure that sinking ships transporting our civilians and trying to instigate a rebellious nation on our southern border to conquer a third of our territory is what did it.
aalan94
AG
And Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.
BQ78
AG
Not to mention that we were already in the war before the declaration was even made.

As to the declaration itself, the western world is still paying for its shortsightedness and ignorance of middle east culture.
aalan94
AG
I agree with BQ 78, but you can't blame all the Middle East problems on that. The Europeans screwed a lot of people in a lot of countries from South America to Africa and Asia by drawing borders that didn't match ethnic/linguistic or any other lines. This is a problem, but the Incas aren't sawing people's heads off because of it. Well, not anymore.
Islam's inability to control its radical elements and Israeli intransigence (mostly, but not all a response to Muslim hostility) is the problem.
BQ78
AG
Not blaming all but some of the problems. If the French and British had realized the Arabs were a tribal people and not a national people, they would not have drawn up the countries the way they did. For example, the Kurdish passion is very much paying for the sins of Balfour.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.