WW1 Silent-actors-dressed-ghost-soldiers-posted- poignant

1,392 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VanZandt92
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really very moving. One of my friends sent it to me. Watch the video in the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3669617/Silent-actors-dressed-ghost-soldiers-posted-stations-country-poignant-reminder-lost-bloody-Battle-Somme.html
VanZandt92
It was for remembrance of the Somme. Would bring a tear to the eye
VanZandt92
Sightings of soldiers
Ag_EQ12
AG
Powerful statement. The Brits do a great job with WWI rememberence. The Imperial War Museum has a fantastic exhibit on the war for the centenary.
VanZandt92

JABQ04
AG
I was all over the BBC last year on July 1 for the Battle of the Somme commemoration. Very moving tribute indeed. To my knowledge nothing like that has been done here in the US for our major events. They might get a blurb in the local paper, a spot on the news but that's it. Very impressed with the coordination and logistics that the event planner went through to do this and more over how much of a surprise it was to not only London but the other cities. Seems like it really got through to the people. We Americans are very fortunate that as bad as our grandfathers and other distant relations had it, the whole sale slaughter of the Somme, Ypres, Verdun, Mons and the like were never experienced to that degree
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

I was all over the BBC last year on July 1 for the Battle of the Somme commemoration. Very moving tribute indeed. To my knowledge nothing like that has been done here in the US for our major events. They might get a blurb in the local paper, a spot on the news but that's it. Very impressed with the coordination and logistics that the event planner went through to do this and more over how much of a surprise it was to not only London but the other cities. Seems like it really got through to the people. We Americans are very fortunate that as bad as our grandfathers and other distant relations had it, the whole sale slaughter of the Somme, Ypres, Verdun, Mons and the like were never experienced to that degree.
125th and 150th Anniversaries of Manassas and Gettysburg were huge events. 15,000 plus re-enactors.

The proportion of the casualties to population in England in terms of the slaughter of the WWI battles is mind boggling. As I said in a previous post, just reading about their experiences is gut wrenching.
aalan94
AG
Given the changes that have come to London in the last 100 years, they might have brought some Gurkha troops along too.
VanZandt92
If only I could get Rev War reenactors in those numbers. Well actually that is too many, but you know what I mean. There will be a spike in interest for the 250th though. 2026 that is. We're gonna give the British a Devil of a Whipping then.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.