Sons of the American Revolution....

6,305 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chilimuybueno
Federale01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone joined this organization? If so, can you walk me through the process, how long it took, etc?

This weekend I used the LDS website Familysearch.org, findagrave, and ancestry.com to do some research. Through that, I found my family goes back to at least 1760 in North Carolina. I found pay vouchers for service during the war for someone matching my relative from the same county from which others say he was born. He also married a woman whose father was a minister, vocal supporter of the movement, and representative to the NC statehouse during the war. I also found other people in different lines of the family had applied to SAR in the past and confirmed part of the lineage.

Anyway, I think the SAR organization does good work preserving and telling the story of the war, and I just was wondering what the process for joining was like and what you can expect after joining. Thanks.
aggiejim70
AG
When you find out, how 'bout posting it. On my mother's side, my granddad's granddad's granddad served in the revolution, on the American side, and is buried in a Methodist church cemetery outside Statesville N.C. When I was researching this, some time ago, I was cautioned by some distant cousins in N.C. to the fact that if you have ancestors in the south that fought for the Patriots, there's a good chance you have some that fought for King George.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
Wow, a bunch of us with NC ancestors. Here's mine:

https://familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/12760554

Quote:

Johan Jacob Braun -

it was Lancaster County where the family settled and remained until around 1757, when they moved southward to Rowan County, North Carolina -the stated destination on the Braun family German emigration permit.

After arriving in Rowan County, the family began spelling their name "Brown" and it is believed that Jacob took on the name of "wagonmaker" at that time. He served in the North Carolina Militia in Introubles and in the American Revolution at Cowpens and King's Mountain.

In 1760 and 1761, Jacob purchased two tracts of land on Crane Creek, Rowan County, from the Earl of Granville. A portion of this land adjoined that of Jacob's brother, Michael Brown.

Jacob was a wagonmaker, and performed patriotic service during the American Revolution by making and repairing wagons.

Cen-Tex
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Wow, a bunch of us with NC ancestors. Here's mine:

https://familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/12760554

Quote:

Johan Jacob Braun -

it was Lancaster County where the family settled and remained until around 1757, when they moved southward to Rowan County, North Carolina -the stated destination on the Braun family German emigration permit.

After arriving in Rowan County, the family began spelling their name "Brown" and it is believed that Jacob took on the name of "wagonmaker" at that time. He served in the North Carolina Militia in Introubles and in the American Revolution at Cowpens and King's Mountain.

In 1760 and 1761, Jacob purchased two tracts of land on Crane Creek, Rowan County, from the Earl of Granville. A portion of this land adjoined that of Jacob's brother, Michael Brown.

Jacob was a wagonmaker, and performed patriotic service during the American Revolution by making and repairing wagons.

I would guess our families crossed paths. I had relatives that were Swiss Anabaptists that came to the US and settled in Lancaster and Berks Co. Pennsylvania. Had a ggggrandpa, John Scott, that fought at Kings Mountain. Some of the family later settled in east Tennessee in Washington and Green County area. My part of the family eventually moved to south central Tx.
VanZandt92
Federale01 said:

Has anyone joined this organization? If so, can you walk me through the process, how long it took, etc?

This weekend I used the LDS website Familysearch.org, findagrave, and ancestry.com to do some research. Through that, I found my family goes back to at least 1760 in North Carolina. I found pay vouchers for service during the war for someone matching my relative from the same county from which others say he was born. He also married a woman whose father was a minister, vocal supporter of the movement, and representative to the NC statehouse during the war. I also found other people in different lines of the family had applied to SAR in the past and confirmed part of the lineage.

Anyway, I think the SAR organization does good work preserving and telling the story of the war, and I just was wondering what the process for joining was like and what you can expect after joining. Thanks.
I have friends in it and I qualify, but haven't done it or the DAR. Good luck to you.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I have friends in it and I qualify, but haven't done it or the DAR. Good luck to you.

I mention the DAR to my daughter and get major eye-rolling.
Federale01
AG
Cool, my 6Xgrandfather was born in Rowan County in 1760. They may have served together if those are indeed his paystubs which I have found.

I have hit a bit of a wall though, unfortunately. I can't be sure that the same guy who received pay from his service was the same as my relative. The pay vouchers only used names and no other identifying information. I doubt there was more than one William H. in that county of age to fight in the revolution, but I guess it is possible it is not my relative.

And after posting this, I dug more on all the links people are using that tie my 6xgrandmother to a known revolutionary participant. Numerous people on Ancestry.com made the link and the last names matched. However, I noticed everyone was citing the same source, which provided no additional source for their link. I also noticed that her supposed parents were actually married four years after she was born. Also, according to later census data, she was born in Virginia, a state in which her supposed parents never lived. So, I am a little stuck. Even though others have used the same link to join SAR in the past (1920s), I don't know if it can be supported today. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Anyway, I will keep y'all updated on the process. I have made contact with the state chapter who offered to put me in touch with local reps which will help me through the process. I haven't heard from them as of now.
VanZandt92
I honestly believe that there is proliferation of huge amounts of bad information on ancestry. Com. It multiplies exponentially by the day, so I sympathize. Much of it is garbage.
Federale01
AG
Thanks. I noticed many people cite the genealogy library in Provo, Utah but don't actually upload the text of the document. So, you have to believe them that it is there. Being a history major, I can't trust a source unless it is in writing in front of me, preferably a copy of the original.

Luckily, after this early period, local governments got much better with records. I can trace the rest of the line through census data and death certificates.
VanZandt92
Federale01 said:

Thanks. I noticed many people cite the genealogy library in Provo, Utah but don't actually upload the text of the document. So, you have to believe them that it is there. Being a history major, I can't trust a source unless it is in writing in front of me, preferably a copy of the original.

Luckily, after this early period, local governments got much better with records. I can trace the rest of the line through census data and death certificates.

Can you put some of the names you're tracing to on here? Are there pension applications?
Federale01
AG
Sure, thanks! That would be awesome.

I am trying to locate a William Hunter, 1760-1840, purported born in Rowan County. He died in Buncombe County just outside of Asheville. Apparently there is a old family cemetery located next to a Presbyterian Church, at 2215 Hendersonville Rd, Arden, NC 28704 near Lake Julian.

I have found pay vouchers for William Hunter from the state of North Carolina circa 1784 provided by the Salisbury District, Auditor, Office Lower Board and some from Morgan City, Rowan County. There are references to a CPT William Hunter, but I am not sure if that is him. He appears tied to a different county.

He married an Anna "Annie" "Ann" Caldwell, 1762-1863, according to later census data, she was born in Virginia and died in Buncombe County, NC. There are reports William crossed into Tennessee to marry here in Greene. She is purported to be the child of David S Caldwell and Rachel Craighead but I don't buy it. David Caldwell is the well known figure, his home is a historic site in Raleigh. https://www.visitnc.com/listing/david-caldwell-historic-park

Basically, I want to confirm William Hunter was born in Rowan County and is the same William Hunter in the pay stubs, which will be tough. It doesn't help that Rowan County has split into several different counties. Also, any info Anna Caldwell.

The family line after William is pretty easy to find.
Lord_TyTy
I had ancestors at Kings Mountain as well. According to family history, my relative is the one who shot Major Patrick Ferguson off his horse. Not too sure on the validity behind that story, though
VanZandt92
Federale01 said:

Sure, thanks! That would be awesome.

I am trying to locate a William Hunter, 1760-1840, purported born in Rowan County. He died in Buncombe County just outside of Asheville. Apparently there is a old family cemetery located next to a Presbyterian Church, at 2215 Hendersonville Rd, Arden, NC 28704 near Lake Julian.

I have found pay vouchers for William Hunter from the state of North Carolina circa 1784 provided by the Salisbury District, Auditor, Office Lower Board and some from Morgan City, Rowan County. There are references to a CPT William Hunter, but I am not sure if that is him. He appears tied to a different county.

He married an Anna "Annie" "Ann" Caldwell, 1762-1863, according to later census data, she was born in Virginia and died in Buncombe County, NC. There are reports William crossed into Tennessee to marry here in Greene. She is purported to be the child of David S Caldwell and Rachel Craighead but I don't buy it. David Caldwell is the well known figure, his home is a historic site in Raleigh. https://www.visitnc.com/listing/david-caldwell-historic-park

Basically, I want to confirm William Hunter was born in Rowan County and is the same William Hunter in the pay stubs, which will be tough. It doesn't help that Rowan County has split into several different counties. Also, any info Anna Caldwell.

The family line after William is pretty easy to find.

That's exciting to try to match the names. I doubt I can add anything but I am curious.

Indeed Rowan was broken into Davidson and other counties.

Buncombe, you'll note the slang term "bunk". That came from a nickname because Felix Walker, a local representative, was verbose in speech in either congress or the legislature. Felix was a frontiers man and longhunter who was famous as a companion of Daniel Boone. Felix was wounded and Boone saved his life.
VanZandt92
That is really great to have somebody at Cowpens and Kings Mountain!
CanyonAg77
AG
VanZandt92 said:

That is really great to have somebody at Cowpens and Kings Mountain!
Boy, am I unobservant. I just googled up his name because I knew about the "wagon maker" name. I tell my wife it's why I'm a car nut, it's genetic.

I realized it was a different link than I've seen before, but I skimmed right over the part about Cowpens. Would you belive that this is the first time I've seen anything about where he served, other than the fact that he made wagons?
Federale01
AG
Last night I found another one, James poteet. In the 1810 census records for buncombe county he was listed as "Col. James Poteet." Ancestry.com has profiles of him saying he served in Virginia. I believe that as his daughter's headstone, which I have found, says she was born in Virginia as well. He moved to Buncombe County but probably died in Yancey.

If anyone has any sites or resources you use to tracks folks down who served in the revolution or find vital records in that part of the world, I would appreciate it.
southcsag
Federale01 said:

Last night I found another one, James poteet. In the 1810 census records for buncombe county he was listed as "Col. James Poteet." Ancestry.com has profiles of him saying he served in Virginia. I believe that as his daughter's headstone, which I have found, says she was born in Virginia as well. He moved to Buncombe County but probably died in Yancey.

If anyone has any sites or resources you use to tracks folks down who served in the revolution or find vital records in that part of the world, I would appreciate it.
Try dar.org.They have a genealogy section that allows you to get "record copy" of a DAR members ancestor. It is really helpful to tracking the Revolutionary War patriot.
Twelfthman99
AG
I've been meaning to do this... I have a genealogy book from my grandmother that puts a direct relative at Cowpens. I've also learned that Alexander Ewing (the physician in the picture below) is a relative and I'm hoping to also join SRT. My wife is already DRT.

BQ78
AG
Well since he had about 8 balls in him, it would be hard to say who killed him, as you indicated. Wonder if your ancestor helped strip him and piss on him too, along with his favorite camp follower who was also killed near him (good thing CNN wasn't around in those days)?

Dude was a bad ass and gentleman though and his rifle was pretty ingenious. He refused to shoot Washington with his rifle when he easily could have at Brandywine. The Over Mountain men had no such scrupples, but I guess he should have surrendered instead of coming up shooting after his horse drug him into the American lines.
VanZandt92
My grandfather was captured by Ferguson at Cane Creek near Kings Mountain. My grandmother came crying to Ferguson for his release and supposedly Ferguson acquiesced because of that.
claym711
AG
Your grandfather? Just how old are you?
NE PA Ag
I had always been told of an ancestor on my mom's side of the family that had crossed the Delaware with Washington named Hallory (sometimes Hallery) Malone, originally from Virginia. We had a copy of the 1854 article from the Sumner County TN newspaper about his passing as he had settled there around the turn of the 19th century. My grandfather and great grandfather were both named for him.

Later in life I did free online research on that side of my family and could never make the connection all the way back to him. My great great grandmother was the Malone and my ancestor had a daughter of that name that I kept running across. The daughter never married and never left Sumner County TN, while my great great grandmother moved to Washington County TX at some point, got married there and died in Waco, so I was stuck.

One night my wife and I were watching a "Who Do You Think You Are" episode with Rob Lowe. They used the DAR to help him find out he was descended from a Revolutionary War veteran. I went to their website and punched in my maybe ancestor's name and sure enough, someone descended from my great grandfather that was named after him was a member. It was there that I was able to see the path to Hallory via my great great grandmother Malone; turns out she was his granddaughter and now I also know who my 3g grandfather (her father) was. I now just need to prove my lineage to my great grandfather that's already in the DAR records and my brother and I can join the SAR (I also do not know the details of exactly what to do).

A cool side note to this story...my wife and I drove from NYC to Nashville and spent a few days there over this past Christmas/New Year's holiday. I knew Hallory was buried in Sumner County, which borders Davidson County. I found the location of his grave on the Find a Grave website. We drove out there and I bushwacked around the small overgrown cemetery and found his nearly 160 year old gravestone, still legible. I had such an exhilarating feeling from finding it.
NE PA Ag
I can't remember his name offhand and I'm at work right now, but I am also a direct descendant of someone that fought in the Texas Revolution as well. Is there an organization like the SAR, but for Texas Revolution veterans? I found one online called Sons of the Texas Republic, but it's for ancestors of anyone that lived in Texas before statehood.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Sons of the Republic of Texas mentioned above. Similar to the DRT ( Daughters --)
VanZandt92
claym711 said:

Your grandfather? Just how old are you?

I don't type out all the greats. I've posted that here before.
EVA3
AG
I'm an SAR member and I enjoy being a part of it. My ancestor Robert J. Miller was at King's Mountain as well, and lost his leg from a wound sustained in that battle.

I'm also a member of the SCV and SRT. If you qualify, I encourage you to join. It's very interesting. A good bunch of guys and you learn a lot. And the organizations really do a lot to preserve history for future generations.
aggiedata
AG
I wonder how many folks posting here have ancestors that fought at King's Mountain? Seems like we have a few. We should get together and share war stories at the Chicken some day.

4th G-Grandfather, found under Campbell's command, and made a Colonel afterwards. He lost a brother and several cousins during the battle.

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:William_Edmiston_(5)

here is a picture of his house, restored and moved

http://www.theemoryhouse.com/the-edmondson-lodge/
Federale01
AG
Update: long...

I am not going to lie, this has been a much more difficult process than I thought it would be. I have not yet been accepted into the local chapter, but my application has just been ok'ed for submission for consideration.

First, let me start off by saying the folks I have been in contact with at SAR have been very helpful and engaging from the beginning. I know that organizations only stay alive if new members join, but I sincerely got the impression these guys want you to be a part of their club and they will help you get there the best of their ability. I have been working with the local registrar who has been a great help finding more information and compiling my application.

Originally, like I noted, I thought I could trace the line through my male side of my family all the way back. Unfortunately, being in Texas and not close to the actual burial sights and other records, many stored in local courthouses till this day, I was not able to confirm my relative was the one whom I found war war records for in North Carolina. But, I started looking to other lines of the family and I found one that I could trace all the way back. It is still my father's line, but it switches to the maternal line around 1900. Interestingly, my middle name is their family name, so I followed that line back next.

The first number of generations were pretty easy. Basically, if your relative was born just after 1830, you can likely find a record of them and trace your generation down the line. This is really easy because in 1850, the federal census started asking for every name of person in the household. Prior to 1850s, they only asked the name of the head of the house and everyone else was a tick mark in a column. So, if you have found a relative in 1850, you can see their wive and children and follow them as they get older through the 1860 and 1870 censuses, and so on. Then, around 1903, Texas started tracking birth and death records pretty well.

The most difficult link to establish for me was to a relative born in 1825. They were too old to appear in the same household as their father in the 1850 Census, but born too soon for the state to have good records of births. I was lucky for two reasons. At some point, some cousins decided to compile family information and write a 600 page genealogy book about the family. They included names, records, supporting documents, family histories, etc. This book was a great help. It showed that they had visited a local courthouse and found records that my relative gave land to all his children, one being the relative I needed to prove the parental link between. (I would not have been able to get this record without traveling to MS). The other was the 1850 census that showed my relative lived next door to his father and three of his other brothers. These names matched the deed record in the book. The local registrar thinks the census together with the deed information is enough circumstantial evidence to prove the link.

What you need: Basically, you need verifiable documentation of each of your line back through the years and the service of a relative in the Revolutionary cause. So, I used a combination of birth certificates, death records, SS applications, CSA headstone applications, census information, deed records, family bible records, and concurrent family history written by family members. If you don't have a single document that proves direct lineage, you can compile several documents that will prove your case, like I explained above. Basically, for a document to count, it has to be something you can produce or someone could verify if need. I saved the images I found on Ancestry and emailed them with my application.

Things to watch out for.: You can't believe everything you see on Ancestry.com or other type of sites. People on there are extremely lazy and will add everything to their relatives whether it makes sense or not. I went down several dead ends because someone on Ancestry added the wrong marriage date or census record to someone. You also can't just rely on old family history passed down for several generations that someone decides to write down someday. For a family history to count, it needs to be concurrent to the time period to be seen as a record. Family bibles do count, but they will want a copies of the relevant pages and the cover page.

Things that will help. Ancestry.com does make it very easy to find some of these records and they search their databases proactively, which helps. Like I mentioned, you just have to use logic and weed out the bad hits. Familysearch.org is another great search engine. Use the DAR website. If you can link to a DAR approved relative or ancestor, you are pretty much done right there. You can also request supporting docs from other DAR members for a fee. This can help point you in the right direction. Also, the Mormon church is a vital research tool when it comes to genealogy. I was only able to find the book about my relatives in two places in the US, Indiana and at the LDS Family Library in Salt Lake. Luckily, the Mormons had digitally scanned the book and I could access it at a local family center here. They have great resources and will help you find what you are looking for.

This has been a fun and frustrating process. It has been tough to think I was finished with my application just to have the registrar ask for more information. But, some of the stuff I have found has been amazing. For example, my Great x 4 grandfather had 8 sons and 3 son-in-laws fight in the Civil War in MS. Two were captured at Vicksburg. On my dad's side, I found a relative that was a Union LT who was killed by a rebel raid north of Chattanooga.

Hopefully my application goes through. And I hope this helps those thinking about applying.
Federale01
AG
It would be very easy for you. Reach out to you local chapter of SAR and they will walk you through the rest. If you can't find the local chapter, reach out to the state chapter and they will point likely forward your information to the local chapter.
VanZandt92
Ancestry.com is trash and has done great disservice to a cool hobby.
combat wombat™
AG
Ancestry.com is not trash. However, it is awful for people who don't understand how to correctly do genealogy research. They take the "work" I'd itbwss as the gospel.

I did the work to get myself into the DAR and my husband into the SAR. It helped that we both had relatives that had done the research... I just needed to prove it.
chilimuybueno
AG
I submitted my application last week. Took me about two months to do the research and pull all documents together. My ancestor patriot had not been previously recognized so it took longer than the typical journey where the patriot is already noted by SAR or DAR. I used Family Search online and spent a little time at the Clayton Library in Houston.
combat wombat™
AG
Two months is actually pretty quick, in my ezperience.
chilimuybueno
AG
Fed, did your application go through? Mine has been signed off on by the Texas SAR Registrar. Should be about another 4 or 5 weeks to get approval from National.
Federale01
AG
Yes, I am happy to report that I received word last week that my application was approved by National. My application was received there on June 16, so it took them about 2 months to process. Good luck on yours. I was very fortunate that I was able to link to an already recognized veteran.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend a meeting in person to receive my certificate and pin. I have since moved from Austin. But, the registrar explained that I can maintain my membership in Austin, ask the state registrar to release me so I can join a local club in my area, or maintain duel membership at both. I haven't decided what I want to do yet.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.