If you could go back...

7,930 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Apache
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
in time what event in American history would you want to witness? You cannot interfere but just observe. The event could be longer than a quick moment meaning could last over a long period of time.
Longstreet
19 August, 1812. USS Constitution vs HMS Guerriere
Corporal Punishment
AG
11/8/16

Hillary's hotel room from about 8 pm until about 1 am.
The Original AG 76
AG
Pearl Harbor
libertyag
AG
My Dad wading in on Red Beach 1, Tarawa, November 20, 1943.
74OA
AG
........me being born.
Wicked Good Ag
Mine would be the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787. I would lov to see the debates of state rights anti federalists vs those wanting a stronger legislative federal government.

Second would be the Grassy Knoll/texas Book Depository
coyote68
Horse head Ctossing on the Pecks from 1750 to 1850.
Smokedraw01
Lincoln's second inaugural address
spaceaggie1975
AG
August 4, 1961

Honolulu, HI

The hospital where Obama was born. This way I could put an end to the debate. Except no one would believe me anyway. At least those that support what I actually learn would believe me.
Post removed:
by user
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
I'd like to be with my ancestor Joseph "Beausolei" Broussard in and around Grand Pre, Acadia in the mid 1750s when he fought an insurgency against the British who were rounding up his family and friends and forcing them off the lands they had lived on and developed for more than a century by herding them onto boats at the point of swords and guns and taking them elsewhere, only to eventually end up at the docks of the Mississippi River in New Orleans and then what is now St. Martinville, Louisiana after crossing the Atchafalaya basin, where he settled and started a new life.
Rabid Cougar
AG
1st and 2nd Manassas particularly Longstreets assault.
tmaggies
AG
XUSCR said:

I'd like to be with my ancestor Joseph "Beausolei" Broussard in and around Grand Pre, Acadia in the mid 1750s when he fought an insurgency against the British who were rounding up his family and friends and forcing them off the lands they had lived on and developed for more than a century by herding them onto boats at the point of swords and guns and taking them elsewhere, only to eventually end up at the docks of the Mississippi River in New Orleans and then what is now St. Martinville, Louisiana after crossing the Atchafalaya basin, where he settled and started a new life.
Sure your on the right forum? This isn't Tiger Droppings!
JABQ04
AG
Most of the events I would like to witness are more to satisfy my curiosity.

Amelia Earhart?
Roanoke Colony?
DB Cooper?
Did Travis draw a line in the sand?
The entire Apollo 11 mission
What really happened at the Little Bighorn
And is Sasquatch real?

Also to see the Texas Brigade at the Wilderness in May 1864.
claym711
AG
LRO put the apollo conspiracy theorists to bed.
texrover91
AG
USS Maine
Formation of the Rough Riders at Menger
JFK assassination

Too many to list; list would expand greatly with the Repiblic of Texas & Mexican Texas
dcbowers
AG
January 1, 1940, New Orleans, Louisiana: Tulane Stadium.

A&M beating Tulane 14-13 and winning the National Championship.

Not sure when this will ever happen again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jickyjack1
JABQ04 said:

Amelia Earhart?
Roanoke Colony?
DB Cooper?
And is Sasquatch real?

The Texas Brigade at the Wilderness really resonates with me, but even with the "fly on the wall" non-involvement, I wonder how much of the actual battlefield violence I could take before rethinking the whole thing.

I have never been in battle, but one supposes that those who are are concentrated intently on the area immediately around their person and focused on survival, of necessity operating with a pretty narrow field of vision.

If we were "witnessing" freely and unrestrictedly, without any sense fear or concern for self, leaving the senses fully open as if at a movie, the actual unbridled carnage and mayhem of warfare, how much could we take?

I'd want to see the "Lee to the rear!" part; I imagine that would be about all I could take. Reading about it is one thing ...
jickyjack1
dcbowers said:

It sure as shootin' won't against Tulane.
The Original AG 76
AG
jickyjack1 said:

dcbowers said:

I'm sure as shooting absolutely positively overnight FACT my friend that is was against #5 TULANE. ANY Ag would know that !
Sapper Redux
The Original AG 76 said:

jickyjack1 said:

dcbowers said:

I'm sure as shooting absolutely positively overnight FACT my friend that is was against #5 TULANE. ANY Ag would know that !

He's saying if we win another national title it won't be against Tulane.
SRBS
Cannae
Trafalgar
Little Big Horn
Borodino
aalan94
AG
I'd like to be in the room when the American delegation says they'd like to buy New Orleans and French Foreign Minister Tallyrand says, "How about ALL of Louisiana?"
dcAg
July 20, 1969 Moon

Saw it take off and saw it on TV but would've been great to have been there.
Rabid Cougar
AG
jickyjack1 said:

JABQ04 said:

Amelia Earhart?
Roanoke Colony?
DB Cooper?
And is Sasquatch real?

The Texas Brigade at the Wilderness really resonates with me, but even with the "fly on the wall" non-involvement, I wonder how much of the actual battlefield violence I could take before rethinking the whole thing.

I have never been in battle, but one supposes that those who are are concentrated intently on the area immediately around their person and focused on survival, of necessity operating with a pretty narrow field of vision.

If we were "witnessing" freely and unrestrictedly, without any sense fear or concern for self, leaving the senses fully open as if at a movie, the actual unbridled carnage and mayhem of warfare, how much could we take?

I'd want to see the "Lee to the rear!" part; I imagine that would be about all I could take. Reading about it is one thing ...

How far did you get into the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan did you get before you looked away? The first time a cannon shell goes through two ranks of men would probably be enough for most people. Not to mention the wounded horses.
Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

I'd like to be in the room when the American delegation says they'd like to buy New Orleans and French Foreign Minister Tallyrand says, "How about ALL of Louisiana?"

Okay I amend my first answer: I want to be in the Corps of Discovery! The best hunting/ fishing/canoeing/ camping trip where the local women wanted to have sex with you of all time!
Cen-Tex
AG
The final battle of the Alamo. Where were the breakouts of the defenders during the battle? How did David Crockett and Cpt. Almaron Dickinson die? Where were the funeral pyres? How many defenders were actually in the Alamo?
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Siege of Vienna and the charge of the Polish Winger Hussars under Sobieski. What a sight to behold.....
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Roanoke Colony
The Salem Witch Trials
Paul Revere's Ride
Second Continental Congress
The Battle of San Jacinto
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg Address
SRBS
Ah, The Winged Hussars. Yep, I'd like to see that!
huisachel
Santa Anna's Ethnic Cleansing Tour of Texas in 1836. It started off with one win after another and then hubris led to disaster when it was decided to rest up and go flush the cowardly Yanqis out of the trees maana.

After half an hour of unpleasantness the tables were turned. Half the army wasn't even there but instead of attacking they backed up, got stuck in the mud from a torrential rain and kept walking away until they got to beautiful downtown Matamoros.

Yep, that is what I would like to watch.

And I would like for Xenophon to accompany me on this Anabasis
VanZandt92
Cowpens 1781 or maybe Eutaw Springs to see my ancestors.

or Lexington and Concord, for similar reasons.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Cen-Tex said:

Where were the funeral pyres?
Northside of East Commerce Street adjoining the Ludlow House......

https://books.google.com/books?id=_CdnP1P3QFsC&pg=PA539&lpg=PA539&dq=location+alameda+funeral+pyre&source=bl&ots=5e70tf-Iqk&sig=aT3kRP2ep7fDQ0pIih2SeXAI8TY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ1LHPiO3RAhWLgbwKHZAsDEcQ6AEIKTAC#v=onepage&q=location%20alameda%20funeral%20pyre&f=false
VanZandt92
American event, not overseas I presume?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.