Company has plan to "safely and ethically" raise the bow of Titanic

5,155 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by plowboy1065
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wesag
SBISA Victim
AG
My thoughts exactly.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I don't really need to expound why this idea wouldn't work, right? This is only slightly more plausible than Clive Cussler's Raise the Titanic novel.

Plus you're desecrating one of the most famous grave sites in the world...
Aggies Revenge
AG
No bueno
JABQ04
AG
From what I remember reading from Ballard or Cameron, the wreck is in pretty bad shape. I don't think it would survive the trip to the surface.

Isn't it also a protected site?
BQ78
AG
Unless they have a monumental chilled fresh water tank to put it in for 20 years or so it will all crumble to a pile of rust.
BrazosBendHorn
It's already crumbling. I highly doubt that they could bring it up in anything other than pieces. Many, many pieces.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/08/100818-titanic-3-d-expedition-shipwreck-science-collapsing/
aalan94
AG
Yeah, I doubt it will work. It's not a matter of simply scaling up the Hunley. The Hunley didn't have any major cracks in the hull and its landing on the seabed was basically non-violent.

The rust and crumbling that BrazosBendHorn and others mentioned is half the story. The real story is what happens with the millions of gallons of water that start rushing out of it once you break the surface. The ship wasn't built to hold water in, but keep it out, and it would be structurally dangerous even if the bulkheads, rivets, etc. were in perfect shape.

Now, they certainly can raise large ships like this. See the WWII ships (smaller, of course) that were stolen off the floor of the Java Sea. But bringing it up to preserve it is a lot more difficult than bringing it up as scrap metal.
CanyonAg77
AG
I thought by "bow", they meant the first 20 or 30 feet. Watching the video, they want the front 2/3 of the ship.

No freaking way this works. It would be one of the most amazing engineering feats ever done, if it were done in 50 feet of water. At a depth of 12,500, where the pressure is about 5,500psi? It's a freaking fairy tale.

The people proposing this are either idiots or con men.
JABQ04
AG
I think the condition of the wreck is what will not allow this project to succeed. The depth and size have been attempted before resulting in moderate success. Look up Project Azorian for reference. A brief run down is a Soviet sub sank, the US found it and attempted to recover part of the sub from a depth of approximately 3 miles. How much was recovered and what was found is still up for speculation, but at least a portion was raised to be studied. Interesting read if anyone e cares to look it up.

But again, there is almost no way possible that the bow of the Titanic would survive being raised 2 mile to the surface. Hell it probably won't even last another 20 years as is.

Now the Bismarck is in extremely good condition for what she went through. if there was no protected site status and was not classified as a war grave that would be an interesting scenario.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Here is the Facebook page of the CEO of the "company" that is spearheading this project.

https://m.facebook.com/william.meyer.71?fref=nf
p_bubel
That page is a real laugh.

Quote:

Please help Titanic Truths LLC expand their office space by helping them to purchase a Tiny house/shed that will be used for any and all work related matters regarding ship wrecks such as the Olympic Class of Liners. All money raise will go to purchasing the unit that will be used as home office, design studio and museum for ship wreck memorabilia.

BQ78
AG
So what you are saying is this idea has about as much traction as Lindsey Graham's Presidential election campaign had in 2016.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
JABQ04 said:

I think the condition of the wreck is what will not allow this project to succeed. The depth and size have been attempted before resulting in moderate success. Look up Project Azorian for reference. A brief run down is a Soviet sub sank, the US found it and attempted to recover part of the sub from a depth of approximately 3 miles. How much was recovered and what was found is still up for speculation, but at least a portion was raised to be studied. Interesting read if anyone e cares to look it up.

But again, there is almost no way possible that the bow of the Titanic would survive being raised 2 mile to the surface. Hell it probably won't even last another 20 years as is.

Now the Bismarck is in extremely good condition for what she went through. if there was no protected site status and was not classified as a war grave that would be an interesting scenario.
Uh...not really close to being the same scale.

K-129 (the sub): 330 ft x 28 ft x 28 ft, 2700 tons

Titanic: 441 ft x 92.5 ft x 100 ft (assuming the break in the middle, which I know is erroneous, but I can't find the actual number, I'm also setting the height to 100 to account for the loss of the stacks). Assuming a constant weight distribution, 23,165 tons.

To make this work with the truss system similar to the Hunley operation, you would need a structure that was roughly 450 ft long, 120 feet wide, and 150 feet tall. It then needs to be capable of withstanding (with little or no deflection due to load) over 25 tons (a lousy 1.08 factor of safety). In theory, yes, you could design a structure that could accomplish this, but the cost would be more than the Titanic itself, I'd bet.

And even with K-129 being smaller, and of a higher structural integrity due to design, materials, and age...it still broke up on its way to the surface. Titanic has next to nothing left in structural integrity. It'd probably collapse when it broke free of the seafloor (which it's buried several feet into, so you've got suction there).
JABQ04
AG
I agree 100 percent that the Titanic can never be raised to the surface, I thought I made that clear in my post. However raising the a Soviet sub (or a portion of it anyways) from three miles below the surface in 1974 was attempted and moderately successfully. Even with a portion breaking off on the ascent, the US was still able to retrieve a decent sized section of the sub. Now fast forward 43 years and with all the advances in technology I think a salvage at an immense depth could be attempted and has a good chance to have some success. However there many factors that would come into play such as safety, practicality, age of the wreck, wreck condition and so on. I just happen to think that something of that size could be lifted to the surface if the right conditions are met.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I knew you weren't saying this could be done, but I was taking issue with the comparison to the sub operation. I think the scale is just so drastically different that it puts them into two totally different realms.

Even with the advances in metallurgical science since 1974, lifting something the size of the bow of the Titanic is still beyond us, in my opinion. Especially with the method this clown's proposing.
ce1994
AG
Why raise it? If it is not hurting anything down there then leave it be.
Guitarsoup
AG
The company wanting to do this needs a new office. So they are fundraising by begging for donations. You won't believe what the office looks like! </clickbait>

https://www.youcaring.com/titanictruthsllc-710552?fb_action_ids=1330702166964098
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
You would hope anyone even considering this preposterous scenario would at least know how to spell "steel" and "pillar"
plowboy1065
S
Wow I had to click out of his pages. Going down a worm hole I could see myself getting trapped in
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.