2 Days in Washington DC

4,505 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stive
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in DC for a business conference in early Feb and have two free days to peruse through some of the sights. I've never been, so for someone like myself, what would you for sure hit during that short time and/or what would you avoid?
AEK
AG
Go to Library of Congress, the Archives, and whatever Smithsonian strikes your fancy. Also hit up the memorials and the International Spy Museum. Avoid the White House tour...3 hours of pain to spend 20 minutes on a self guided tour through 1/4 of the space.

For restaurants go to Old Ebbets grill and Bens Chili Bowl.
gigemhilo
AG
Stive - When you going?

I will be there early June, but on a school trip with my son. I am hoping we get to do an itinerary like what is suggested. However, I think my son would love the chance to see the White House.

I, too, have never been.
Stive
AG
I'll be up there 1/31-2/4.

On the 1st and 2nd I only have meetings in the evenings so I'm free for most of the day.
93Spur
Suggest these sites, which can be visited in less than four hours, assuming you avoid your own vehicle and can taxi/uber without incident (private car makes life great, but is a cost):
Lincoln Memorial/Vietnam Memorial/Korean Memorial
Car to -
Washington Monument (outside, not inside)
Walk from Washington Monument, from Washington Monument toward the White House to see it real world
Car to -
WWII Memorial
Car to -
Capital Building (outside and basement). If you want to see inside beyond the visitor center, contact your rep for a private tour.
National Archives Building (across the street from Capital)
Supreme Court Building (1 block down from National Archives)
Jefferson Memorial

With more time -
Arlington. Robt. E Lee's home, Tomb of the Unknowns, Changing of the Guard (at least 1 hour here)

Mort Rainey
93Spur said:

Suggest these sites, which can be visited in less than four hours, assuming you avoid your own vehicle and can taxi/uber without incident (private car makes life great, but is a cost):
Car to -
Walk from Washington Monument, from Washington Monument toward the White House to see it real world
Car to -
WWII Memorial
Car to -
Capital Building (outside and basement). If you want to see inside beyond the visitor center, contact your rep for a private tour.
Jefferson Memorial

With more time -
Arlington. Robt. E Lee's home, Tomb of the Unknowns, Changing of the Guard (at least 1 hour here)

Arlington might not seem as exciting as some of the more popular memorials but I promise it would be well worth your time. The Arlington tour I went on was one of the coolest historical visits I've ever done
74OA
AG
A bit long and built for more time than you have, but you can pick and choose what's of interest.....

Suggestions for first-time visitors to Washington DC:

Timing. Visit during DC's beautiful, comfortable Spring or Fall. Avoid Summer tourist high-season--a hot, humid, over-crowded misery. Winter is not as bad, but can be a cold, wet mire.

Transportation. Fly into Washington Reagan National Airport, not distant Dulles International Airport. Reagan Airport is only about a mile from the National Mall and is conveniently served by the Metro subway system (clean, safe, cheap). Don't bother with the expense and hassle of a car in DC, as weekday traffic and parking are usually impossible--use the Metro instead. If you have elderly or handicapped in your group, also consider the Open Top tram which services all the major Mall attractions. It's a bit expensive, but one ticket lets you get on and off all day along the tram's route and it is particularly convenient for touring the somewhat distant lower Mall.

Hotel. If you find downtown DC hotels full or too expensive, stay five minutes away in Crystal City (Sheraton, Embassy Suites, Doubletree, Hyatt, Days Inn, Marriot, Holiday Inn, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Crown Plaza, Ritz Carlton) or fifteen minutes away in Alexandria (Hilton, Marriot Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn). Both are close-in, safe suburbs and from either you can conveniently hop on the Metro's Yellow or Blue lines and go quickly to and from DC.

Sightseeing. First visit the excellent DC Visitor Information Center in the Ronald Reagan Building (Federal Triangle Metro Station) to get oriented and grab maps/guides/tickets. See the lower Mall memorials on day one, and spend the rest of your visit cruising the museums and public buildings around the upper Mall, going further afield if you subsequently have time. In summer, walk the outdoor sites during the cooler AM and visit air-conditioned venues during the sweltering PM. The National Capitol Visitor's Center, Air and Space Museum, American Indian Museum, National Gallery, African American Museum and Union Station all have pleasant places to eat.

1. Lower Mall. One very full day: White House, Washington Memorial, WWII Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Korea Memorial, FDR Memorial, MLK Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Holocaust Museum. Except for the WH, no convenient Metro access and a long walk.

2. Upper Mall. Two very full days just to get a glimpse: National Capitol, Union Station, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, National Botanical Conservatory, American Indian Museum, National Air and Space Museum, Natural History Museum (gem and mammal wings), National Gallery, National Archives, National Portrait Gallery, American Art Museum, Museum of African American Culture & History, Smithsonian Castle museums. All are easy walking distance from Metro stations.

3. Greater DC. A half-day each due to transportation/distance/size:
National Cemetery: A must-see. Blue line to Arlington Cemetery Station.
The Pentagon: Yellow or Blue lines to Pentagon Station. Book tour online first.
National Cathedral: Red line to Tenleytown/AU Station, then any Metrobus showing a #30-series route number, taxi or just walk south on Wisconsin Avenue.
Old Town Alexandria: Yellow or Blue lines to King Street Station, then free trolley.
Mount Vernon: Yellow line to Huntington Station, then Fairfax Connector bus #101.
Udvar-Hazy Annex of the Air and Space Museum: Superb. Silver line to Wiehle-Reston East Station, then a one-stop ride on Fairfax Connector bus #983 or taxi.

This is an extremely aggressive time budget to merely cruise the highlights. You could spend all day in any one of the major museums, for example. Your taxes pay for almost all, so enjoy.
Rabid Cougar
AG
74OA said:

A bit long and built for more time than you have, but you can pick and choose what's of interest.....

Timing. Visit during DC's beautiful, comfortable Spring or Fall. Avoid Summer tourist high-season--a hot, humid, over-crowded misery. Winter is not as bad, but can be a cold, wet mire.

Transportation. Fly into Washington Reagan National Airport, not distant Dulles International Airport. Reagan Airport is only about a mile from the National Mall and is conveniently served by the Metro subway system (clean, safe, cheap). Don't bother with the expense and hassle of a car in DC, as weekday traffic and parking are usually impossible--use the Metro instead. If you have elderly or handicapped in your group, also consider the Open Top tram which services all the major Mall attractions. It's a bit expensive, but one ticket lets you get on and off all day along the tram's route and it is particularly convenient for touring the somewhat distant lower Mall.

Hotel. If you find downtown DC hotels full or too expensive, stay five minutes away in Crystal City (Sheraton, Embassy Suites, Doubletree, Hyatt, Days Inn, Marriot, Holiday Inn, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Crown Plaza, Ritz Carlton) or fifteen minutes away in Alexandria (Hilton, Marriot Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn). Both are close-in, safe suburbs and from either you can conveniently hop on the Metro's Yellow or Blue lines and go quickly to and from DC.

Sightseeing. First visit the excellent DC Visitor Information Center in the Ronald Reagan Building (Federal Triangle Metro Station) to get oriented and grab maps/guides/tickets. See the lower Mall memorials on day one, and spend the rest of your visit cruising the museums and public buildings around the upper Mall, going further afield if you subsequently have time. In summer, walk the outdoor sites during the cooler AM and visit air-conditioned venues during the sweltering PM. The National Capitol Visitor's Center, Air and Space Museum, American Indian Museum, National Gallery, African American Museum and Union Station all have pleasant places to eat.

1. Lower Mall. One very full day: White House, Washington Memorial, WWII Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Korea Memorial, FDR Memorial, MLK Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Holocaust Museum. Except for the WH, no convenient Metro access and a long walk.

2. Upper Mall. Two very full days just to get a glimpse: National Capitol, Union Station, Supreme Court, Library of Congress, National Botanical Conservatory, American Indian Museum, National Air and Space Museum, Natural History Museum (gem and mammal wings), National Gallery, National Archives, National Portrait Gallery, American Art Museum, Museum of African American Culture & History, Smithsonian Castle museums. All are easy walking distance from Metro stations.

National Cathedral: Red line to Tenleytown/AU Station, then any Metrobus showing a #30-series route number, taxi or just walk south on Wisconsin Avenue.
Old Town Alexandria: Yellow or Blue lines to King Street Station, then free trolley.
Mount Vernon: Yellow line to Huntington Station, then Fairfax Connector bus #101.
Udvar-Hazy Annex of the Air and Space Museum: Superb. Silver line to Wiehle-Reston East Station, then a one-stop ride on Fairfax Connector bus #983 or taxi.

This is an extremely aggressive time budget to merely cruise the highlights. You could spend all day in any one of the major museums, for example. Your taxes pay for almost all, so enjoy.
Second all of the above. Specially on getting a rental car. If you don't need it for business don't get it.

METRO- buy the SmarTrip Card at Reagan Airport station (Assuming that is where you fly into). It is something like $10 and you get $8 of fares on it. You can always add more on if you need.

Strongly recommend Crystal City or Alexandria for hotels. I stay there every time I have to go to DC for work and my building is the GAO building at the Gallery Place/China Town station.

I would add the two Navy Museums at the Navy Yard. Very easily accessed from the Green Line.

Mort Rainey
74OA said:

This makes me wish I could take three days off and do this next week!
Stive
AG
I'm flying into Reagan on Tuesday afternoon, but I'll need to rent a car. I have dinner with an old friend up in Bethesda that evening, but am crashing with another friend out in McLean.

Wednesday morning I'll get up early, drive into town and have all day to do whatever. Back out to McLean to stay the night again.

Thursday morning drive back in for another day of tourism. My BIL is flying into Reagan about lunch on Thursday and wants to join me for a few hours to see some stuff. I'll have him take the subway in from the airport and meet up with me somewhere near the capital to put his bag in my car while we knock out a few sights. I'm going to see if my congressman can give us a tour that evening (I know he prefers giving his tours at night but is very willing to do them) then we'll drive back out to Reagan, turn in the car, and catch an Uber to the Gaylord for the business conference that begins the next morning.

Any other thoughts/suggestions to that schedule would be much appreciated.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Stive said:

I'm flying into Reagan on Tuesday afternoon, but I'll need to rent a car. I have dinner with an old friend up in Bethesda that evening, but am crashing with another friend out in McLean.

Wednesday morning I'll get up early, drive into town and have all day to do whatever. Back out to McLean to stay the night again.

Thursday morning drive back in for another day of tourism. My BIL is flying into Reagan about lunch on Thursday and wants to join me for a few hours to see some stuff. I'll have him take the subway in from the airport and meet up with me somewhere near the capital to put his bag in my car while we knock out a few sights. I'm going to see if my congressman can give us a tour that evening (I know he prefers giving his tours at night but is very willing to do them) then we'll drive back out to Reagan, turn in the car, and catch an Uber to the Gaylord for the business conference that begins the next morning.

Any other thoughts/suggestions to that schedule would be much appreciated.
It is a perfect set up for the exclusive use of the Metro.....up until your BIL meets you with his luggage. There are metro stops at each of your destinations. It would cut about a half hour to an hour off each of your trip segments. Even your trip from Bethesda to McLean. Even in this segment it would be better to have your friends drive, meet each other and pass you off. I find that the locals know their way around the area a lot better than me listening to the directions from my phone. I don't have a solution for your BIL's luggage situation though. Even if you drag it with you, they wont let you in the sites with it.

Parking near the Capital will also be problematic. Most of the time one ends up parking out by the Jefferson Memorial.

If you have never been it will be worth the effort and you will enjoy it.. You will just make lots of mental notes of what not to do next time.

(removed:110205)
If you're looking to maximize your time, we did an evening bus tour of the monuments. Took us around to all of the big ones (including MLK) and had ample time at each. Beautiful way to see the monuments as well (lit up at night).

We also did a bus tour (almost a full day) out to Mt. Vernon. A lot of money has been poured into Mt. Vernon. They're museum and theatre were some of the best I've been in. The tour also stopped in old town Arlington and we got a private tour of Washington & Lee's church. Very moving.
VanZandt92
Lots of solid advice above and the metro trains really matter.

I'm going to play devils advocate here as you don't have a lot of time. Smithsonian Museum of American History is at least half a day, as is Air and Space. Walk the hell out of the mall from Library of Congress (free to the Lincoln Memorial). I can spend two days on those alone, but that is me.

I quite like the 2nd Air and Space museum also, esp if you like WWII planes.

Treasury - good tour but I wouldn't do it twice. I'd pass this one up for now.

Holocaust museum - you need an appointment for this one. It isn't a quick in and out and it will mess you up.

NO Whitehouse. Actually Ive never done it, but cannot imagine spending my day doing that.
VanZandt92
Specifically, for those of you who haven't been to Mt Vernon in 20-30 years, it is quite improved. Their museum is really good and getting better every day. It is not just a plantation home by a river. It is a solid attraction that can take a day.
aalan94
AG

Udvar-Hazy.

If possible, do it twice.

And if you don't believe me, what can beat an Enola Gay, a Space Shuttle, a Concorde and 100 of their friends indoors and airconditioned?

Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

Udvar-Hazy.

If possible, do it twice.

And if you don't believe me, what can beat an Enola Gay, a Space Shuttle, a Concorde and 100 of their friends indoors and airconditioned?

Been there twice. I would do it twice more!

Another good Museum is the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico.
VanZandt92
Yes that is what I meant by 2nd Air and Space. Couldn't remember the name
Federale01
AG
93Spur said:

Car to -
Car to -
WWII Memorial
Car to -
Jefferson Memorial

With more time -

Sorry, there are a few geographical issues with your list.

Unless the weather is bad or you have trouble walking, you don't need a car between the Lincoln and Washington monument. It's would be better to walk to the WWII monument after you finished up around the Lincoln. You are only a few blocks away once you are done with the Vietnam or Korean Memorial. From WWII it's just a short walk to the Washington Monument. From the Washington you are only a few blocks to the south side of the White House. You will be able to easily see the next stop. The sight lines on the main part of the mall are really great.

Also, the Archives isn't across the street from the Capitol. It's a few blocks away and a block off the Mall. And the Supreme Court isn't by the Archives. It's to the east of the Capitol and the Archives is a few blocks to the west. You can walk to all three, but it's a bit of a walk. if you go to the Archives first, you will have to pass through the Capitol grounds again to get to SCOTUs and Library of Congress.

All the big sites along the mall are within walking distance of each other if you are healthy. But it's like the Vegas strip, nothing is as close as it looks due to the scale of the buildings. I ran the mall almost everyday for five years. It still tricked me every now and then. The Hop on Hop off busses will save your legs if you just want to focus on the mall and Arlington or you can Uber, like mentioned. Uber drivers are everywhere in DC.

If you have the time, the Capitol is a beautiful building. In my opinion it's worth the time to tour it. The Archives is a must see as well. Nothing is quite as cool as reading the founding documents in person, even if some are extrmely faded now. You shouldn't have a problem with lines in February.
Federale01
AG
I don't think you will have trouble finding parking on the mall during the week. February in DC during a work day is nothing like June in DC. Your biggest problem if you drive in will be fighting rush hour traffic. It's a royal ***** to get into the city in the morning And you don't need you car much once you are in the city. If you do drive, just check the parking signs. Some streets must be cleared for rush hour and they will ticket then tow you if you stay parked in a rush hour lane.

As far as the place where your friend could meet you on the mall, it all depends on where you will park. there are about 5 stops along the mall that could work for you. Just don't leave any bags exposed. Your window will get popped pretty quick if you leave something valuable in plain sight.

Your drive to and from Bethesda will be very easy if there is no traffic. But that stretch of the beltway is brutal during rush hour. Just give yourself plenty of time to get there. It should be fairly smooth sailing for you after dinner.
Tater Salad
I would do anything possible to avoid trying to drive a car in D.C. as a visitor. There is almost nowhere you would really want to go that is not Metro-accessible. Not only is parking a major hassle, but it's almost impossible to use your GPS to help you navigate efficiently. A number of the major streets change from one-way to two-way depending on time of day, and I've not seen a GPS device that could really handle this. In addition, the 200 year old maze of streets and traffic circles, and unpredictably closed streets are a nightmare for your GPS.
Stive
AG
The Waze app is mans new best friend!! It picks up on those kinds of changes.
Stive
AG
Any "must sees" at Arlington National that are off the beaten path?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Stive said:

Any "must sees" at Arlington National that are off the beaten path?

The Civil War sections
My great aunt (WWII WASP).She is about twenty feet from JFK.

Activities that impact me during my visits....
Watch a funeral from afar. I have never been there when there wasn't at least one taking place. The procession, taps and gun salute. General Officers/statesmen will have Cannon Salute.
Go to a section and walk the rows of tombstones and read them.
BQ78
AG
The mast of the USS Maine is there. There is a Confederate monument. There are monuments to the Lockerbie bombing, the Iran Resuce attempt and many of the crew of the USS Liberty are buried there. Plus countless heroes of the nation are buried there that you can pay your respects to depending on your interest from the Revoultionary War to the current war.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Federale01 said:

All the big sites along the mall are within walking distance of each other if you are healthy. But it's like the Vegas strip, nothing is as close as it looks due to the scale of the buildings. I ran the mall almost everyday for five years. It still tricked me every now and then..
One of the best places to run I have ever come across. I had the opportunity to run the mall and the adjacent area during Snowmegedon in 2003. I had the entire mall to myself. Ran down the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue.
coupland boy
AG
Audie Murphy's grave is very close to the amphitheater and the Maine's mast. I was disappointed to have missed that. It's apparently one of the most visited (or was) graves at Arlington that a walking path over to it was necessary.
Stive
AG
There's not a walking path to it (if there was there isn't anymore). But yes, it is right across the street from the amphitheater.
coupland boy
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

I was going based on this but like you said maybe it's not there anymore. He was a popular actor as well as war hero so perhaps the attention has faded.

"On 7 June 1971, Murphy was buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery. In attendance were Ambassador to the U.N. George H.W. Bush, Army Chief of Staff William Westmoreland, and many of the 3rd Infantry Division. Murphy's grave site is in Section 46, headstone number 46-366-11, located across Memorial Drive from the Amphitheater. A special flagstone walkway was later constructed to accommodate the large number of people who visit to pay their respects. It is the cemetery's second most-visited grave site, after that of President John F. Kennedy.

If i hadn't missed visiting it I'd know the answer.
Stive
AG
That's either been removed or I was blind/oblivious. Other than some pebbles and stones placed on top of his marker, his wasn't any different than any other around as far as I can recall.

Stive
AG
Quick trip summary (sorry didn't take many photos). A friend of mine loaned me his parking spot in a garage on L street and 18th so parking wasn't an issue while I was there and most of the sites were a short walk each day.

Day 1 (by myself):

Started out at Arlington due to some of the things on the mall not opening until 9:30 or 10:00 in some cases. Spent about two hours there and got to watch the changing of the guard, see most of the more notorious markers, found a few stand outs on my own just by keeping my eyes open, and finished with the Custis/Lee house and museum. I did get to witness a funeral procession which was moving in it's own right.

After Arlington, I drove downtown, parked and walked towards the Whitehouse. I checked out the statues at Lafayette Square, around the Treasury building, the Whitehouse from front and back, then made my way to the upper Mall area. I started with the American History museum, spent a few hours there, then went to the Native American Museum. I enjoyed the American History museum and most of the exhibits there, but didn't like the Native American Museum at all. Afterwards, I walked up towards the capital then looped back down to the Archives.

When I finished at the Archives, I headed back "home" to beat traffic and hook up with a college friend for dinner.

Day 2

Started a bit later by design and went to the Natural History Museum to start off (I liked it). I then walked down to the Washington Monument to meet by BIL and tour the lower mall. This is where I had a gross miscalculation. My BIL is a BIG boy. He can't walk nearly as fast as I can and only for a fraction of the time. By the time he walked from downtown (after putting his luggage in my rental) to the Washington Monument, he was already dragging a bit. By the time we finished with Korea, Lincoln, and Vietnam, he was already struggling a bit so we took a cab down to the Capital. We did a Capital tour, followed up by being allowed into both the House and Senate chambers while they were in session (pretty cool on both fronts). Once that was done, he was toast so we headed back.

On Friday night I was able to meet up with an old corps friend that is now a LTC and works for the DOD. He took me on a tour of the Pentagon and a quick drive through of Fort Myer (WHAT A VIEW), and a swing by the Iwo statue.

Regrets:

Without the big slow guy, I probably could have checked off the Jefferson, and the Aviation museum as well as had some time in the Library of Congress. But oh well.....I'll check those off next time I'm in town.

Thanks for all of the insight over the last few weeks. This thread was a HUGE help in me lining out my days.
coupland boy
AG
Actually you can see the grave just beyond a tree from street view. I'm assuming it's the sidewalk around the tree that borders on several other graves as well.

Without knowing why it was there (according to wiki) i never would have thought it was constructed for his grave only. As with everything at that cemetery it's low key, respectful, and well done.
Stive
AG
Ahh....my apologies. I remember that little side walk but it doesn't seem to just go up to his grave (it runs by others as well) so I assumed it was just there for other asthetic purposes. I also didn't equate it to being there because of him.

If wiki is right and it was put there because of his grave, then you're right....its properly and subtley done.
texas.aggie.2010
there is at least 1 Aggie, Capt Clyde William Campbell '66, buried in Arlington national cemetery http://www.aggienetwork.com/news/112097/silver-taps-notification/
I Am A Critic
Stive needs new spectacles.

Stive
AG
I've already acknowledged the sidewalk. It circles a tree and actually runs "by" 5 or 6 different graves. As the other poster said, it's tastefully done and looks like it's supposed to be there for any number of reasons.....not just for Murphys grave.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.