Torpedo 8 Midway (George Gay)

1,807 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
coupland boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good chance this was posted previously but i enjoyed reading this today.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/midway-the-sole-survivor-of-torpedo-squadron-8/
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks, I knew the outlines of his story, but haven't read this detailed account.
aalan94
AG
How can you post about George Gay and not note that he attended Texas A&M?
coupland boy
AG
aalan94 said:

How can you post about George Gay and not note that he attended Texas A&M?

Because.........that's a given. Duh!
thach
AG
George Gay was the sole survivor of the carrier-based contingent of VT-8 flying TBD-1s, with Bert Earnest and Harry Ferrier being the survivors of the shore-based contingent of VT-8 flying TBF-1s.

Had the battle happened a few weeks later, VT-8 might have flown TBFs into combat from Hornet instead of TBDs. Hell, all the torpedo squadrons might have been able to switch mounts, as they all did well before the Guadalcanal campaign and prevent the slaughter that happened off of Midway...
GasAg90
Prior to the battle they hadn't flown with torpedoes. Kinda shows how ill prepared the US was for war.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
GasAg90 said:

Prior to the battle they hadn't flown with torpedoes. Kinda shows how ill prepared the US was for war.
Ever hear of the Battle of Coral Sea? May 1942.

Quote:

The highlight of the Devastator's career came during the Battle of the Coral Sea when the type aided in sinking the light carrier Shoho.
The linked article talks about the troubles with the Mark 13 torpedo. It does not specify with what weapon the Shoho was sent to the bottom, but I would think it reasonable to say that torpedoes may have had a hand in that, given that the Devastator was a torpedo bomber (as opposed to a Dauntless, a dive bomber or the Avenger, that could be outfitted with a torpedo or bombs).

edit - I followed the link "Battle of the Coral Sea" which does specify that the Shoho was sunk by a combination of bombs and torpedoes, which suggests to me a combination of American aircraft, Devastators and Dauntlesses most likely.

second edit - the Devastator could also deliver bombs. most photos I see of this aircraft in wartime shots show it carrying a single torpedo.

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/worldwariiaircraft/p/World-War-Ii-Tbd-Devastator.htm
CanyonAg77
AG
I think he meant that "Torpedo 8" had never flown with torpedoes, not the US Navy
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I think he meant that "Torpedo 8" had never flown with torpedoes, not the US Navy
Oops, my mistake. But gave me a good excuse to look all that stuff up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.