Best History Podcasts?

6,283 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by VanZandt92
No Bat Soup For You
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been been listening to the British History Podcasts for the last few months. I'm 130 episodes in and I'm wondering what other podcasts I could listen to next.

I searched for Roman History on my player but they only had series on the fall of rome and I'm more interested in the overall history.
West Texan
AG
There's a really good podcast called The History of Rome, that starts at the formation of Rome. I haven't finished it, but I really enjoyed it.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is excellent as well. He has different topics he covers, but my favorites are Blueprint for Armageddon that covers WWI, and Wrath of the Khans over the Mongol Empire.
AtlAg05
AG
History of Rome is really good. I believe Mike Dugan is the podcaster.
CT'97
AG
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is pretty good.

I haven't listened to his Downfall of Rome series but his WW1 series is good.
Smokedraw01
AtlAg05 said:

I'll second this. His one over Revolutions is very well done.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
RedAgs01 said:

AtlAg05 said:

I'll second this. His one over Revolutions is very well done.

Player FM is way too specific in their searches.

I searched "Roman History" and literally only a few shows on the downfall of Rome came up. I searched a History of Rome and I get this podcast. I know how I'm going to waste my next 6 months.

Thanks guys.
kubiak03
AG
Dan carlin's death throes of the republic is a really good podcast on the end of the roman republic. Great job of setting up the climate and how the elite thought.

Punic wars is another great one of his.

Mike Duncan's history of Rome is another great one. He takes a few episodes to find his groove but ends up being very good. Also takes a few episodes to get going.

The complete life of Julius Caesar - Cameron Riley - is a pretty funny history podcast. Just be prepared for his occasional Christian and capitalism bashing. It gets old sometimes
Phil Garner
Ben Franklin's World

There are several pirate history podcasts that are pretty good. Just search pirate podcast.

There is a history of exploration that I love and find relaxing.

Sorry for lack of names, but I don't have time to look up right now.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I'm listening to Carlin's Countdown to Armageddon now. Loooooooong but very good.
Presley OBannons Sword
not strictly a history podcast, but Jocko Podcast is great
VanZandt92
North Carolina Bits of History

Walter Edgar Journal, which had other topics besides straight history

Virginia Historical Society lecture series here but not sure if you can download or just stream. http://www.vahistorical.org/read-watch-listen/video-and-audio?field_channel_tid=13 :
Smokedraw01
Wise About Texas is decent.
H6RBW
AG
Can't be said enough: Dan Carlin's Hardore History.

If you're lookimg for Roman history, he has a series Death Throes of the Republic which is 6 (long) episodes. He also has a 3 episode series called Punic Nightmares on the wars against Carthage.

After you've listened to those, do yourself a favor and listen to Ghosts of the Ostfront.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Henny - website, please .
Apache
AG
Not exactly podcasts, but if you have ITunes, you can get iTunesU. There are a couple of great lectures on there I would recommend:

The first is about Hannibal (Punic Wars) through Stanford by Patrick Hunt. Very similar outline to what Dan Carlin did. Pet peeve: he pronounces cavalry as "Calvary" OMG it drove me crazy. Otherwise a great podcast and more in-depth than Carlin's.

The second is a series of lectures through UC Berkeley, specifically Western Civ. from 1453-present. Some of you may be rolling your eyes at this one, but the lectures are great. The specific one I mention is the Spring 2008 series of "History 5" class. I actually downloaded all these and listen to them on occasion. The prof. is very even handed & I would recommend it as a nice general overview of some of the major events of the last 500 or so years.

One podcast not mentioned yet is the "The Napoleon Bonaparte Podcast". It has around 19-20 episodes roughly an hour long.... done by a huge Napoleon fan and the author of "Napoleon for Dummies". If you slog through this beast of a podcast, you'll have a new appreciation for the Corsican genius. Don't let the "Napoleon for Dummies" part make you think this a juvenile effort.... it is in depth and top-notch.
wesag
AG
kubiak03
AG
The Napoleon one was done by the same guy (Cameron Riley) that did the Julius Caesar and Augustus ones I'm listening to.

Very funny and entertaining but his now very frequent Christian bashing towards the end of Caesar is wearing very thin.

I also got a kick in how he tried to play off Napoleon as some benign imperial force (just trying to spread the great ideals of the French Revolution and freedom) compared to the United States.
(removed:110205)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

In Our Time by BBC4 is great. Discrete topics. They usually have 2-3 professors that meet with the host (Melvyn Bragg). Lots of history and some philosophy and science.
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

Not exactly podcasts, but if you have ITunes, you can get iTunesU. There are a couple of great lectures on there I would recommend:

That reminded me of a great lecture series I downloaded from Yale: a history of the Greek city states by Professor Donald Kagan.
(removed:110205)
H6RBW said:

Quote:

That reminded me of a great lecture series I downloaded from Yale: a history of the Greek city states by Professor Donald Kagan.
Roku has a learning channel I subscribe to. It has college courses. Last time I checked they had 2 or 3 universities....one was some directional Missouri school and...Yale. I watched videos of one of Kagan's ancient history courses. It's amazing how much great free stuff is out there.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
H6RBW said:

Quote:

That sounds like a good one.
H6RBW
AG
Here's a link to the page for the downloadable Yale courses:

http://oyc.yale.edu/courses

Kagan's Introduction to Ancient Greek History is still available. Recommended.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Spy Museum has a cool podcast. Will Hurd '99 was on there last year.
Phil Garner
Guitarsoup said:

You just got me hooked on this last night. Thank you!
Presley OBannons Sword
Phil Garner said:

Guitarsoup said:

You just got me hooked on this last night. Thank you!
what did you search for
Phil Garner
Spy podcast and spy museum both worked. Also try Spycast.
Phil Garner
Check out this podcast: SpyCast
https://audioboom.com/channels/4634320.rss via @PodcastAddict
Presley OBannons Sword
found it, thanks
No Bat Soup For You
AG
kubiak03 said:

Mike Duncan's history of Rome is another great one. He takes a few episodes to find his groove but ends up being very good. Also takes a few episodes to get going.

He does kind of start off awkward and slow but by the time he gets to the punic wars he has found his groove.
jay07ag
AG
Dan Carlin's Hardcore history is by far the most entertaining and engaging history podcast I've ever listened to. Start with Blueprint for Armageddon (Covering WWI)...it'll knock your socks off.
Phil Garner
DryCleanerCast

Another spy podcast. Focuses on the history of intelligence and counter-terrorism. Some episodes are almost exclusively history of intelligence, with little to no terrorism theme.

Their Twitter is super lib, but I still listen. I fear they won't be able to hide their bias in the podcast eventually, but I've enjoyed the couple of random episodes I've listened to so far.
option short side
AG
Apache said:

The first is about Hannibal (Punic Wars) through Stanford by Patrick Hunt. Very similar outline to what Dan Carlin did. Pet peeve: he pronounces cavalry as "Calvary" OMG it drove me crazy. Otherwise a great podcast and more in-depth than Carlin's.

The second is a series of lectures through UC Berkeley, specifically Western Civ. from 1453-present. Some of you may be rolling your eyes at this one, but the lectures are great. The specific one I mention is the Spring 2008 series of "History 5" class. I actually downloaded all these and listen to them on occasion. The prof. is very even handed & I would recommend it as a nice general overview of some of the major events of the last 500 or so years.

One podcast not mentioned yet is the "The Napoleon Bonaparte Podcast". It has around 19-20 episodes roughly an hour long.... done by a huge Napoleon fan and the author of "Napoleon for Dummies". If you slog through this beast of a podcast, you'll have a new appreciation for the Corsican genius. Don't let the "Napoleon for Dummies" part make you think this a juvenile effort.... it is in depth and top-notch.
I can't believe I never heard of this until now. I just finished a great series on the emergence of capitalism. Very concise and well produced.
Thomas Little
AG
Any good ones about World War 2?
H6RBW
AG
Quote:

Thanks for mentioning this. I don't use iTunes, but I think I may have found the same course (albeit from a different semester) here:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/series.html#c,d,History

Is Laqueur the professor?

No Bat Soup For You
AG
Thomas Little said:

Any good ones about World War 2?

This is a really late reply but I started the history of ww2 podcast by Ray Harris Jr this week and it's been addicting so far. I'm more in to classical history than recent history but this is still awesome.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.