Good books on the Cold War?

1,187 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
Pound the Rock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What would be your top suggestions for books on the Cold War? No specific time period or geographical location.

Thanks
Mort Rainey
Legacy of Ashes is a good one. It's on the CIA but a huge chunk of it deals with the Cold War
IDAGG
AG
-"Sword and the Shield" which is based on the Mitrokhin Archive. It documents a fair amount of the KGB's activities during the cold war. It names names of KGB spies and collaborators in the west, plans for sabotage in case of war, etc etc.

-"The Bridge at Andau" by James Michener. About the Hungarian revolution of 1956.

-"The Great Terror: Stalin's Purge of the Thirties" self explanatory.

-"The Gulag Archipelago" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

-And to give a view from the other side "Che Guevara A Revolutionary Life" by Jon Lee Anderson. Basically a hagiography about the patron saint of the left. As might be expected, full of sheet in many places, yet it does give some insight into the Cuban revolution.
BQ78
AG
+1 for the Bridge at Andau and I would add Truman's Memoirs for the beginnings of it.
MGS
My favorite is Red Storm Rising.
Corporal Punishment
AG
A lot of good ones listed already but I loved this one:

Transit Point Moscow
Book by Bernard Asbell and Gerald Amster
Gerald Amster recounts how his thirst for adventure led to imprisonment in a Soviet labor camp and describes his escape and the six months he spent in a Moscow safe house Google Books
(1985)

It's an easy read.
Ag_EQ12
AG
No Cold War reading list is complete without John Lewis Gaddis! His book The Cold War: A New History is required reading for a solid overview by one of the best historians in the field.
DeckMe80
Try Skunkworks by Ben Rich, about the top secret program at Lockheed-Martin that developed the U-2, the SR-71 and the stealth fighter. The stories about how the USSR tried to cope with the U-2 are amazing.
Presley OBannons Sword
I just read Berlin 1961 which I liked a lot. Arguably the zenith of the cold war.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.