Axis military WW2

1,679 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CT'97
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has there been any definitive volumes on the daily living and war time experiences of the grunt soldiers on the losing side that yall can suggest? Especially the Japanese? Not looking for strategy or officer stories of command. Looking for the nitty gritty, everyday Joe taken off the street of Tokyo or Berlin and their experiences throughout the war. Similar to our stories like The Old Breed. Really interested in the defenders of the Pacific Islands and their stories. I know very few survived overall but if there is anything out there that yall know of I'd appreciate it. Just for my curiosity.

Rabid Cougar
AG
In my library:

"In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front"
"Blood Red Snow: Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front."
"Infantry Aces"
"Panzer Aces"
"Grenediers"
SRBS
The battle for Okinawa by Colonel Hiromichi Yahara is probably the only land war book from the Japanese perspective that I have. Quite good. I'll peruse my library and see if I have anything else.
Can recommend others on naval stuff.
Have several films on DVD that I can strongly recommend if you are interested. A poster on this board co-wrote one of the best books ever on a battle of the Pacific war. Shattered Sword. About Midway. A definitive work.
JABQ04
AG
A Tomb Called Iwo Jima is a collection of first hand accounts of survivors of Iwo. Some evacuated prior to the battle and some fought and were captured by the US.

*Japanese survivors*
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The only book I have in my library that might fit the request is Midway: the Battle That Doomed Japan, the Japanese Navy's Story. Written by Mitsuo Fuchida and Masatake Okumiya, both aviators who partipated in the battle and give their first-hand accounts. I read that one right before reading Shattered Sword:The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Parshall and Tully. Both were excellent reads.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Check out the movie about the J side of Iwo directed by Clint Eastwood
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
74OA
AG
"Soldat"
"Panzer Commander"
"Forgotten Soldier"
"A Tomb Called Iwo Jima"

Google away........
JABQ04
AG
Twilight of the Gods by Thorolf Hillbland (Swedish SS Volunteer)

Tigers in the Mud by Otto Carius (Panzer Ace)

After Stalingrad: Seven Years as a Soviet POW by Albert Holl

Teddy Suhren; Ace of Aces Memoirs of a Uboat Rebel bun Teddy Suhren

Adventures of my Youth: A German Soldier on the Eastern Front 1941-1945 by Armin Scheiderbauer
The Original AG 76
AG
Goodbye Translyvania - A Romanian Waffen SS soldier story

hard to read poorly written but a fascinating insight on the centuries old cultural hatred of everybody by everybody based on 700 year old events in that part of Europe.
Eliminatus
AG
Ooo. Y'all definitely delivered. Will be looking into all of these suggestions.

Thanks everyone.
CT'97
AG
5 years, 4 fronts, A German Officers World War 2 Memoir.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.