Stonewall Jackson

6,670 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by (removed:110205)
Mort Rainey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone here ever spent time thinking about how the Civil War goes differently if Stonewall hadn't died? It could be argued that the next few months after his death ended up swinging the war. He was borderline unstoppable during his time in the war (i may be wrong on this). I'm not saying the South wins with him, but it makes me wonder has much longer the war would have lasted with him.
Sapper Redux
Borderline unstoppable is an interesting statement. He certainly displayed intense will and motivation and clearly dominated weaker opponents. However, his weaknesses often get glossed over. His performance during the Seven Days was marginal at best and his performance during the Antietam Campaign was spotty. And it's not apparent why that is. There's no good explanation or excuse that I've found. He just sort of lost his sense or motivation for awhile at times.

The biggest drawback with Jackson were his tactics. Superior will meant superior casualties. That's fine against folks like Banks who didn't want to take the casualties, but Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan were different animals. I once had a friend who said the only difference in the outcome at Gettysburg had Jackson been there would have been the casualties: they would have been higher for the South. I don't know if that's the only difference (though I think they would have been higher), but it makes a good point. Jackson in independent command was different from Jackson the subordinate.
Mort Rainey
Interesting!
BQ78
AG
Jackson died at just the right moment to be the perfect "what-if" that should never be. The south could have run circles around the Union army in the east but who was going to stop the Federal armies in the west? That is where the war was won not Virginia.
Sapper Redux
BQ78 said:

Jackson died at just the right moment to be the perfect "what-if" that should never be. The south could have run circles around the Union army in the east but who was going to stop the Federal armies in the west? That is where the war was won not Virginia.

That's very true.
Been waiting so long
If Jackson had been on Lee's left wing, the battle of Gettysburg would have lasted only one day. His aggression would have pushed the desperately weak Union position off Cemetery Ridge - just as Lee wanted. There would have been no "interpretation" of Lee's order that delayed the attack and allowed the Union army time to reinforce. The Union army would have been strung out for 20 miles in disarray retreating to Washington with Lee hot on their heels.

So, yes, it could have been entirely different.

Also could have been different if Lee had listened to Longstreet and circled right instead of choosing to attack a fully arrayed Union army on a strongly held ridge (day 2).

Either scenario would have given Lee the opportunity to attack Washington with a full strength army.
wtr1975
AG
No question about it. The Battle at Gettysburg was lost on day one when Stonewall's replacement, Robert Ewell, failed to act decisively and take Culp's Hill. The Northern troops were allowed to take the high ground putting the South at a disadvantage on day two. I've always thought that Jackson's death following his injury at Chancellorsville was a divine act allowing the Union to remain united.
Been waiting so long
There were several divine interventions. Lee's lost orders miraculously recovered by a Union sargeant that lead to McClellan being able to have the upper hand at Antietam. Jackson's untimely death from being shot by his own troops. The failure to recognize the value of the round tops on day 1 at Gettysburg. How does Lee miss that? Lee's strangely worded order that allowed Ewell to rationalize not capturing Culp's Hill and Cemetery Ridge. Lee's sudden incapacitating illness at North Anna - when he had Grant in a trap, but was unable to direct the battle or make his orders known. And the list goes on. Just too many unlikely happenstances.

The Northern states were already seeing disorder and war weariness. One giant victory and Washington under siege may have been sufficient to force Lincoln to negotiate.

I am a bit torn by the results. I think that keeping the Union together allowed for future important events that benefit us today, that otherwise would not have happened. But at the same time I am unhappy with the federal government that Lincoln loosed which has evolved into a ravenous monster, trampling and emasculating states' rights and pushing them from their rightful status in the republic.

titan
S

The real what-if in the same time frame is probably the Battle / Fall of New Orleans. If that doesn't come-off, if Farragut is turned back, it changes the complexion of much of the war in 1862. And it is not a given that the ironclads that could have made the difference could not have been made ready--- stupid things like inter-state bickering and rivalry kept needed parts from being delivered, which was fatal as the difficulties of having to have some items like shafts forged as far away as Tredegar iron works in Richmond and shipped out were serious enough by themselves and would continue to be.
titan
S
Been waiting too long,

Quote:

I am a bit torn by the results. I think that keeping the Union together allowed for future important events that benefit us today, that otherwise would not have happened. But at the same time I am unhappy with the federal government that Lincoln loosed which has evolved into a ravenous monster, trampling and emasculating states' rights and pushing them from their rightful status in the republic.
Ah, but you have just made a post citing instances of apparent divine acts. If you see it that way, why not trust it? Because I think we have just seen another one, in the thwarting of the statist collusion. The Union wasn't going to survive in the present if that had continued to roll on. Now there is a chance it will, if the actual American spirit can once more be unleashed and tapped, though it will be touch and go.

Been waiting so long
Titan,

Agreed.
titan
S
A broad question is was the Civil War winnable militarily? Or, like the Pacific War, did it depend on a big enough victory and setback against Washington to make a political settlement possible? Of course Pearl made that impossible in WW II--- but what about 1864 election?
The Original AG 76
AG
titan said:

A broad question is was the Civil War winnable militarily? Or, like the Pacific War, did it depend on a big enough victory and setback against Washington to make a political settlement possible? Of course Pearl made that impossible in WW II--- but what about 1864 election?
Our only hope was a massive victory and pressure , if not the outright occupation of Wash. City early before the massive war machine could be assembled. The yankees had far far too many resources and men to make a war of attrition winnable.
One thing we did have in our favor was the northern lack of will to fight early in the war and pathetic generalship. There was a yuge segment of the population that did not want to fight and it was only by the heavy handed tyranny of the Lincoln admin that the voices of reason were suppressed. Very little has been published of the jailings and oppression of yankee citizens for their outspokenness against the war.
Once the overwhelming military machine was developed and generals such as Grant and Sherman were deployed it was all over. The Confederacy could have won battle after battle ( and we did) yet the shear numbers made a military victory impossible. Grant and Sherman were willing to lose any number of men necessary and slaughter, rape and pillage as many innocent civilians as could be brought under the sword to not just defeat but destroy the South...in order to " save" it for their so-called union.
Liquid Wrench
For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet but there is still time for it not to begin against that position and those circumstances which made more men than Garnett and Kemper and Armistead and Wilcox look grave yet it's going to begin, we all know that, we have come too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a fourteen-year-old boy to think This time. Maybe this time with all this much to lose than all this much to gain: Pennsylvania, Maryland, the world, the golden dome of Washington itself to crown with desperate and unbelievable victory the desperate gamble, the cast made two years ago; or to anyone who ever sailed a skiff under a quilt sail, the moment in 1492 when somebody thought This is it: the absolute edge of no return, to turn back now and make home or sail irrevocably on and either find land or plunge over the world's roaring rim.
IDAGG
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Grant and Sherman were willing to lose any number of men necessary and slaughter, rape and pillage as many innocent civilians as could be brought under the sword to not just defeat but destroy the South...in order to " save" it for their so-called union.
Seems like a pretty even handed analysis.
The Original AG 76
AG
IDAGG said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Grant and Sherman were willing to lose any number of men necessary and slaughter, rape and pillage as many innocent civilians as could be brought under the sword to not just defeat but destroy the South...in order to " save" it for their so-called union.
Grant never made it any secret that he was willing to take and inflict as many casualties are necessary to wear down Lee. He had no regard for the losses. Much like Gen Patton and other successful military leaders.
Sherman...well...the March to the Sea was a war crime in any other war. Total destruction and slaughter. Took generations for Georgia and the Carolinas to recover. As a side note read up on Beast Butler in New Orleans . His general order 28 called for the RAPE of any Southern lady who did not bow down to an occupying yankee. Damn near jap like for that bast$rd. For decades a chamber pot was called a Butler in S Louisiana.
IDAGG
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

IDAGG said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Grant never made it any secret that he was willing to take and inflict as many casualties are necessary to wear down Lee. He had no regard for the losses. Much like Gen Patton and other successful military leaders.
Sherman...well...the March to the Sea was a war crime in any other war. Total destruction and slaughter. Took generations for Georgia and the Carolinas to recover. As a side note read up on Beast Butler in New Orleans . His general order 28 called for the RAPE of any Southern lady who did not bow down to an occupying yankee. Damn near jap like for that bast$rd. For decades a chamber pot was called a Butler in S Louisiana.
Here is a recent post of yours from the politics forum:

Quote:

The leaders may be the artsy-tartsies and the ultra white guilt rich libs but the foot soldiers are the 97% black population who are nothing more than parasitical slaves to the dem plantation faithfully voting EXACTLY as their WHITE massas be a tolding dim to does ! As long as we allow the white dem slave owners to use OUR tax money to continue to buy these votes there is no way that these people can free themselves. They have proven , beyond a doubt, that they do not possess the ability nor the drive to leave the new slave system on their own volition . They have to be forced or starved OUT !
I hardly think you have the temperament to analyze anything related to the civil war or race in any sort of even handed way. That is my point.
The Original AG 76
AG
IDAGG said:

The Original AG 76 said:

IDAGG said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Quote:

The leaders may be the artsy-tartsies and the ultra white guilt rich libs but the foot soldiers are the 97% black population who are nothing more than parasitical slaves to the dem plantation faithfully voting EXACTLY as their WHITE massas be a tolding dim to does ! As long as we allow the white dem slave owners to use OUR tax money to continue to buy these votes there is no way that these people can free themselves. They have proven , beyond a doubt, that they do not possess the ability nor the drive to leave the new slave system on their own volition . They have to be forced or starved OUT !
I hardly think you have the temperament to analyze anything related to the civil war or race in any sort of even handed way. That is my point.
Well.... aren't WE special !!!
I bow down to your typically morally superior self. So unworthy to even be in the presence of such an enlightened being....
DEO VINDICE
BQ78
AG
It was Richard Ewell not Robert, and his performance on July 1 up until he elected not to attack Cemetery Hill or Culp's Hill was impeccable, as good as or better than Jackson could have done. Ewell reversed his march as the battle commenced, marched his men in good order 15 miles in the heat of the day, threw them immediately into a tough five hour battle and caused the Federals to break their line north of Gettysburg.

Lee gave him the discretion that evening and he took it, he knew better than anyone the condition of his men after such a grueling day. He was an experienced enough and competent commander to know what his men could do and not do. He would mess up on other days later in the war but not here. It may be fun to debate counterfactual history but it is pretty pointless too. But let's just remember the situation, exhausted Confederate second corps with only one division that had not been heavily engaged in five hours of fighting that day. On Cemetery Hill and to its east you have the first division of the First Corps, including the Iron Brigade, partially dug in on the high ground of the Hill. They had not been routed off the field they had withdrawn in good order when the Eleventh Corps collapsed. On Culp's Hill you had the reserve troops of the First Corps who had not been engaged at all in combat so far and were already dug in pretty well on the heights. To add to that defense you had the whole XII Corps under Slocum arriving. Johnson's Division, the only fresh one Ewell had, probed Culp's Hill and Johnson was surprised when troops got on his flank and nearly captured him personally. He reported back to Ewell and suggested an attack on the hill in the increasing darkness might not be a good idea. Ewell used his discretion and did not attack under the circumstances.

We can debate all day what Jackson would have done or not. He was no super hero that was undefeated or undefeatable. His worse days were when he was exhausted and while serving as a subordinate to Lee. His strength had always been at independent command. He might have done exactly what Ewell did that day. But let's say he does attack with exhausted men against the defenses I described above. We have many examples of tired troops attacking relatively fresh troops, dug in on the high ground in the Civil War and seldom are they successful. The ones that were successful were because the defenses were set up on the hill top versus the military crest or consisted of a layered defense that precluded the lines behind to fire for fear of hitting their own men retreating. I cannot think of one situation with the defenses like the Federals had on Cemetery Hill and Culp's Hill and the Confederates as fatigued as they were where a successful attack was made. So if Jackson had done it, it would have been a unique circumstance of the war in my opinion.
Rabid Cougar
AG
In actuality, Ewell's Third Division under Gen Allegheny Johnson had just arrived on the field and had not participated in the earlier fighting. Ewell ordered them to take the hill. Instead of attacking, Johnson sent a party to reconnoiter the hill and they ran into the remnants of the Iron Brigade digging in. The party was almost captured but returned with their information that the hill was occupied. There was also information that large Federal units (the XII Corps) were approaching from the east on the Hanover Road. That all contributed to the decision not to attack that evening.

I am not totally convinced that Jackson would have come to the same conclusion. Jackson was very reactionary. I really think he would have followed up breaking Barlow's lines on Barlow's Knoll and continued to press the assault along Rock Creek through the eastern edge of town, which is what Early actually did. There was nothing in front of him at this point. I think Jackson would have continued to press until he was on Culp's Hill. This would have been before the Iron Brigade got there after they broke. Of course we don't know how Steinwehr, who on Cemetery Ridge at the time, would have reacted to Jackson appearing on his right .

Say Gettysburg turned out exactly the same with Jackson still alive. I do not think that Jackson would have contributed that greatly to the ANV during the Overland Campaign and ending with Petersburg. All the battles (except for the Wilderness) were very set piece and left little opportunities for independent command, which was Jackson at his best. I think he would have have been trapped, just as Ewell/Early, Hill and Longstreet were, into reacting to Grant's every move.

Now had he had been in command of the Second Corps in the '64 Valley Campaign, that is a topic for a whole new discussion.
aalan94
AG
As with all counterfactuals, it comes down to the North's will to fight. The south cannot win the war outright, but could force a Vietnam-style draw. To that extent, Stonewall is valuable. That being said, I think the real likelihood of the North giving up after suffering all those losses is slight. I call it the Blitz syndrome. You would think that after the horrible shock, people want the war to end, but in fact, after suffering so much, people are more likely to double-down. Vietnam was hardly bloody in comparison to nearly anything, there was no danger to U.S. soil and it was easier to cut ties, especially the way we did it, which wasn't technically losing the war (in 1973). That came later after the North resumed their offensive. In the Civil War, it's total war. That being said, Jackson probably upps the South's chances of some kind of negotiated defeat from 15 percent to 25 percent.
BQ78
AG
Cougar:

That assumes you don't get the Jackson of the Seven Day's or Kernstown or McDowell or Fredericksburg and get the one who had good days against very inferior opponents.

Keep in mind that Lee always thought Longstreet was his best subordinate, after the army realigned after the Seven Day's Lee gave more units to Longstreet because he thought Longstreet could handle them and Jackson could not. Lee always made his camp by Longstreet and never with Jackson, part of it was his greater faith in Longstreet and his advice rather than Jackson. I admit that part of it was Longstreet was a bit more lively than Jackson who was too Presbyterian, heck even after Old Pete lost three children to scarlet fever in early 1862 his camp was still more lively than Jackson's.

I might even go as far to say that the greatest flank ever performed in the Wilderness was done by Longstreet, not Jackson. Jackson took too long in deploying his men, wasting day light and using a line of divisions his fourth division never really got into the fight at all and they all jumbled up and stalled well before dark, that is why he was thinking of continuing the offensive in a risky night attack when he was wounded.

Longstreet probably saved Lee's bacon in the Wilderness with his flank attack that he had to plan and execute on the fly. He crushed the best union corps in the AoP (not the lowly 11th corps like Jackson) and they were never the same after that day. Their commander Winfield Scott Hancock admitted that he had been "rolled up like a wet blanket" by Longstreet.

As stated in my first post, Jackson died at the perfect time. He was an amazing fighter but no demi-god. We could talk about his failure to communicate with his subordinates and petty squabbles with them (he got Garnett killed at Gettysburg) but he has been put so high on a pedestal that there is no bringing him back to reality anymore for the general masses.
Mort Rainey
ChiliBeans said:

For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet but there is still time for it not to begin against that position and those circumstances which made more men than Garnett and Kemper and Armistead and Wilcox look grave yet it's going to begin, we all know that, we have come too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a fourteen-year-old boy to think This time. Maybe this time with all this much to lose than all this much to gain: Pennsylvania, Maryland, the world, the golden dome of Washington itself to crown with desperate and unbelievable victory the desperate gamble, the cast made two years ago; or to anyone who ever sailed a skiff under a quilt sail, the moment in 1492 when somebody thought This is it: the absolute edge of no return, to turn back now and make home or sail irrevocably on and either find land or plunge over the world's roaring rim.
Wow, impressive that you just wrote that beautiful passage by yourself. You're very talented
Mort Rainey
The Original AG 76 said:

IDAGG said:

The Original AG 76 said:

IDAGG said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Quote:

Well.... aren't WE special !!!
I bow down to your typically morally superior self. So unworthy to even be in the presence of such an enlightened being....
Cmon Preston, we know it's you
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

Cougar:

That assumes you don't get the Jackson of the Seven Day's or Kernstown or McDowell or Fredericksburg and get the one who had good days against very inferior opponents.

Keep in mind that Lee always thought Longstreet was his best subordinate, after the army realigned after the Seven Day's Lee gave more units to Longstreet because he thought Longstreet could handle them and Jackson could not. Lee always made his camp by Longstreet and never with Jackson, part of it was his greater faith in Longstreet and his advice rather than Jackson. I admit that part of it was Longstreet was a bit more lively than Jackson who was too Presbyterian, heck even after Old Pete lost three children to scarlet fever in early 1862 his camp was still more lively than Jackson's.

I might even go as far to say that the greatest flank ever performed in the Wilderness was done by Longstreet, not Jackson. Jackson took too long in deploying his men, wasting day light and using a line of divisions his fourth division never really got into the fight at all and they all jumbled up and stalled well before dark, that is why he was thinking of continuing the offensive in a risky night attack when he was wounded.

Longstreet probably saved Lee's bacon in the Wilderness with his flank attack that he had to plan and execute on the fly. He crushed the best union corps in the AoP (not the lowly 11th corps like Jackson) and they were never the same after that day. Their commander Winfield Scott Hancock admitted that he had been "rolled up like a wet blanket" by Longstreet.

As stated in my first post, Jackson died at the perfect time. He was an amazing fighter but no demi-god. We could talk about his failure to communicate with his subordinates and petty squabbles with them (he got Garnett killed at Gettysburg) but he has been put so high on a pedestal that there is no bringing him back to reality anymore for the general masses.

I totally agree about Lee's affection for Longstreet.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Wow, impressive that you just wrote that beautiful passage by yourself. You're very talented.
Of course.

I figured most posters here have seen part of it before.
SRBS
Sapper are you familiar with the opus work on the Maryland campaign by Ezra Carman? Assume you are as you seem to have vast knowledge of all things Civil War.(caveat:agree with you on 50% of civil war stuff negative zero on current political stuff)
Just started the first volume. Great stuff. I do greatly respect your opinion in this realm
Sapper Redux
I am familiar with it, though I haven't seen the entire thing, just an edited volume. I also really like Stephen Sears' short volume on the Maryland Campaign.
SRBS
Yep, Sears' "Landscape Turned Red" is my favorite Sharpsburg book.
titan
S
BQ78,

Quote:

. I admit that part of it was Longstreet was a bit more lively than Jackson who was too Presbyterian, heck even after Old Pete lost three children to scarlet fever in early 1862 his camp was still more lively than Jackson's.
Curious --- am I reading your paragraph correctly that what is being referred to there was that Longstreet was more likely to see to matters of keeping troop morale, than Jackson? The mention of too Presbyterian --- is it meaning in some ethical sense---- like the difference between the Royal Navy's rum ration and the USN ban?

Jackson's very very devout faith hasn't been mentioned much in the thread, so was curious.
Sapper Redux
Jackson was not personally popular with his soldiers. In fact, he gave the appearance of not caring much about their suffering. They followed him because he won.
titan
S

Quote:

Jackson was not personally popular with his soldiers. In fact, he gave the appearance of not caring much about their suffering. They followed him because he won.
Thanks. So it was not some oblique reference to Jackson being too strait-laced. That is almost how it read. Sounds like more refers to a lack of empathy, and that Longstreet was more connected in this regard. Interesting.
BQ78
AG
Yeah, Longstreet partied and Jackson prayed.

Jackson's men came to like him because they won.
Mort Rainey
Dr. Watson said:

I am familiar with it, though I haven't seen the entire thing, just an edited volume. I also really like Stephen Sears' short volume on the Maryland Campaign.

To the Gates of Richmond. Great book!
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Been waiting so long said:

There were several divine interventions. Lee's lost orders miraculously recovered by a Union sargeant that lead to McClellan being able to have the upper hand at Antietam. Jackson's untimely death from being shot by his own troops. The failure to recognize the value of the round tops on day 1 at Gettysburg. How does Lee miss that? Lee's strangely worded order that allowed Ewell to rationalize not capturing Culp's Hill and Cemetery Ridge. Lee's sudden incapacitating illness at North Anna - when he had Grant in a trap, but was unable to direct the battle or make his orders known. And the list goes on. Just too many unlikely happenstances.

The Northern states were already seeing disorder and war weariness. One giant victory and Washington under siege may have been sufficient to force Lincoln to negotiate.

Interesting point and I agree that Lincoln is the starting point for the Leviathan that our federal gov't has become. But I think the 17th Amendment has more to do with the current state of the ravenous behemoth than anything else.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.