Sketches from WWII Soldier

1,615 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kugelfang52
chickencoupe16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Came across this on Facebook. Really incredible sketches and such a unique perspective. Thought y'all might enjoy viewing them as much as I did.

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/victor-lundy-wwii-sketchbooks
BQ78
AG
Nice find.
OldArmy71
p_bubel
Wow
Liquid Wrench
Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy insights into some of the "ordinary" experiences of the soldiers that don't get told in movies or textbooks. Two of these sketches reminded me of a conversation with a neighbor many years ago.

Was working as an election clerk one day and we had a lot of downtime. The election judge introduced me to an older gentleman who was also working that day. "ChiliBeans, do you know Mr. So and So (not our real names)? He's a war hero. He fought in Europe during WWII."

Mr. SoandSo was 80ish at the time, fairly quiet and soft-spoken, and looked like a church deacon. I said "Is that right?" He nodded, told me when he was there. Then he started to smile and said, "You know, they only tell you all the bad parts of war. There were some good times too. When we got into France, they really welcomed us as liberators. The women especially. They shared their food, their wine....and everything else. And I certainly did take them up on it." It was nice to see that old man with an ear to ear smile and beaming eyes.
Kugelfang52
Wow, Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.