Joe Foss fans?

1,796 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TAMU74
LoudestWHOOP!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Original WWII Joe Foss USMC Fighter Ace Medal of Honor Recipient Named Grouping

I had the honor of shaking Joe Foss's hand at a CAF airshow before he passed.
My son has a personalized signed copy of his autobiography.
Saw these items on a website I like to browse.
Quote:

Original Items: One-of-a-kind grouping. Every one of these items belonged to the WW2 fighter ace and Medal of Honor recipient Joseph Jacob "Joe" Foss. These items were acquired directly from his estate.

Joseph Jacob "Joe" Foss (April 17, 1915 January 1, 2003) was a United States Marine Corps major and the leading Marine fighter ace in World War II, and a Medal of Honor recipient, recognizing his role in the air combat during the Guadalcanal Campaign. Ross was accredited with 26 confirmed aerial victories. This surpassed the previous record of 25 set in WWI by Eddie Rickenbacker.

In postwar years, he was an Air National Guard brigadier general, the 20th governor of South Dakota, president of the National Rifle Association, the first commissioner of the American Football League, and a television broadcaster.

This collection consists of the following items:

WW2 USMC Pilot Leather Flying Helmet Type NAF 1092-72 with JF (Joe Foss) ink stamped on goggle strap.
WW2 Type AN-6530 flight googles with steel frame and clear glass lenses and rubber face mask.
WW2 SLOTE & KLEIN USMC Summer Flying Helmet, Contract No. N288s-27405, size small.
WW2 Japanese Government invasion ONE SHILLING "Short Snorter" note signed by multiple Marines and marked GUADALCANAL, JAN 1943 and also signed by JOE FOSS. A Short Snorter is a banknote that has been signed by people traveling together by aircraft.
1963 dated 5 Dollar "Short Snorter" Bill signed by multiple people including JOE FOSS with the date 9/21/1967. A Short Snorter is a banknote that has been signed by people traveling together by aircraft.
1940 University of South Dakota Year Book signed on cover page by JOE FOSS with a Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity photo of him on page 126.
1938 Sioux Falls College Year Book (Foss transferred to South Dakota his Junior Year) with a photo of sophomore Joe Foss on the track team page.
April 2001 Naval History Magazine with an article on Foss, signed by Joe Foss.
Pilot's Handbook for Grumman Wildcat signed by Joe Foss.
June 1943 life Magazine with cover photo of Joe Foss.
Original photo of Joe Foss being presented the congressional Medal of honor by President Roosevelt.
3 memorial envelopes signed JOE FOSS USMC VMF-121
2 Ace playing cards signed JOE FOSS USMC VMF-121

All in all a very impressive collection acquired directly from a relative of Joe Foss.

Muzzleblast
Early in my career I worked for his son in law.

Great people. Great patriot.
Centerpole90
AG
I was always told that one of our neighbors, who passed away a few years ago, had been Joe Foss's 'crew chief' during the war. Of course you know how things over 40-60 years change in the telling so I worked one day to see if I could find any evidence either way.

Once I established that 'Bud' (as we all knew him) was really 'Frank' Cherrington it didn't take long to find that in fact he was in Major Foss's command in 1943. While I doubt that PFC Cherrington was his 'crew chief' it certainly doesn't preclude that he crewed his aircraft.

VMF-115, 1943

TAMU74
AG
I have a very rare professional AFL Football that has Joe Foss's name embroidered on the ball when he was commissioner of the newly formed league..
I got at a 1961 or 62 Houston Oiler game.
I'll try an post a picture.if anyone is interested.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.