Annexation of Texas Slogan

7,058 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Vestal_Flame
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A fellow teacher came to me asking me about any slogans used during the period of Texas Annexation. There was one that was used around the same time as "54-40 of Fight"(Oregon) but I can't remember the exact wording. Something like "Texas, all or nothing" but that's not exactly it. Apparently that has been taken by the Lottery Commission. Any help is appreciated.
p_bubel
"Tyler and Texas!"
Smokedraw01
Thanks. That's not the one I was looking for but it has given us some leads.
Bregxit
AG
Quote:

John C. Calhoun centered his political career around the defense of slavery and the Southern planter way of life. For Calhoun, the specter of a cotton-producing free Texas under British control was an intolerable threat to all that he cherished. Courtesy United States Senate.

John C. Calhoun went much further. Once he had dreamed of becoming president himself, but he knew that his many controversies had probably ended his prospects. Still, Calhoun wanted to shape the 1844 campaign his own way with a popular issue that would unite the South and marginalize Van Buren or any other contenders who might tamper with slavery. Without regard for Tyler's hopes, he made public a lengthy letter he had written to Lord Aberdeen, the British Foreign Secretary, in which he wrote passionately of Texas annexation in terms of the preservation of slavery and the extension of Southern power.

In the letter, Calhoun brought his powerful intellect to bear in an argument that was later summarized in the campaign slogan, "Texas or Disunion." As far back as 1831, Southern radicals like Calhoun had spoken of seizing Texas and making it part of the great cotton kingdom. Now, Calhoun wrote, it was going to happenone way or the other. If Texas annexation were rejected, the South would not stand by and allow Texas to come under the domain of Great Britain. Rather than let that happen, the Southern states would secede and join with Texas in a new Confederacy.
??
Smokedraw01
Thanks. That is it.
Vestal_Flame
AG
"Texas, all or nothing" was a phrase associated with Polk, IIRC.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.