Killing Reagan

1,970 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cen-Tex
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two-hour version of O'Reilly's book on National Geographic Channel.

I thought it was very well done. Tim Matheson did a fine job as Reagan, and most of the supporting cast, especially the guy who played Michael Deaver, looked like the person they were playing.

The relationship between Reagan and Nancy was sympathetically portrayed, and her turn to astrology was handled with some sensitivity.

Hinckley's madness was well-portrayed.

I enjoyed it.
TAMU74
AG
I'm reading the book now. The NG was well done.
Did you see the NG "Killing Kennedy"? That was very well done too.
OldArmy71
AG
I did not see the Kennedy one. Wish I had.

I did not read the Reagan book, but from what I have heard, it was quite controversial because O'Reilly suggests that Reagan's decline began because of the assassination attempt. Many, many, many people who worked with Reagan denied this, and as you know, the movie decided to deal with that notion very obliquely. (I am glad they did.)
TAMU74
AG
I'm just about finished w/ the book and I didn't get the impression that the assassination attempt caused his decline. However, it was a life changing event that I think even Reagan suggested.
I got the feeling Reagan was more appreciative of what he had in life after that point.
Now did it effect his overall health after that...probably for a 70 year old man.
He came much closer to dying at that time then I realized...according to the book.
You should read it and Killing Kennedy also.
NG will have Killing Kennedy again soon as we are coming up on Nov. 22
I going to get the Killing Patton and Killing Jesus next.

OldArmy71
AG
Good point about the NG Kennedy. I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks.
OldArmy71
AG
Just FYI, here's a review of O'Reilly's book from four authors who have written books on Reagan:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/10/16/what-bill-oreillys-new-book-on-ronald-reagan-gets-wrong-about-ronald-reagan/?utm_term=.104b0d2654e2

National Review has several reviews that are very critical of the book, as well.

Again, I have not read the book myself.
chick79
AG
I read Killing Lincoln and Killling Kennedy. Books were poorly researched and not that good. O'Reilly is on a money grab spree with these Killing books.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
All profits go to CHARITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TAMU74
AG
I just realized that the book I read is "The Day the President was Shot" which has O'reilly's name on the dust cover and is about the Reagan assassination attempt.
But it is not the "Killing Reagan" book by O'reilly.
Cen-Tex
AG
Never realized the issues Reagan had w/Sec. of State Haig. The 'Killing Reagan' movie portrayed their relationship as somewhat antagonistic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.