Civil War Literature

2,800 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jickyjack1
TJJackson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After recently discovering my ggg-grandfather's service to Texas in the civil war, I was wondering if there was a required reading list of books concerning the civil war?

I've never had this much fascination with the war until now. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Rabid Cougar
AG
7th Texas Infantry/ 10th Texas Infantry. A Google search will provide a good background. They took part in lots of major actions in the West and there should be a broad base of information available.
JABQ04
AG
"Granbury's Texas Brigade: Diehard Western Confederates". Haven't read it, but doing Civil War reenactment a for a couple of years as a Western Confederate impression got me interested in the war in the West. Got to do a reenactment at Corinth, MS where we portrayed th 2nd Texas in their assault in Battery Robinette. Cool price of history.
huisachel
Edmund Wilson's "Patriotic Gore" is a good place to start any study of that war.
TJJackson
In my research I've narrowed it down to the 7th, 10th, or 12th Texas Infantry. Nothing concrete putting him directly in one of those units, but I'm still looking.

I do want to learn more about the war and the people themselves.
EVA3
AG
What's his name?
EVA3
AG
I have a gg-grandfather who was in the 12th Texas Infantry, Co. C.
TJJackson
James Duncan Manning was my ggg-grandfather, and looks like his father may have been in the war as well. His name was Michael Nehemiah Manning.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
"Granbury's Texas Brigade: Diehard Western Confederates". Haven't read it, but doing Civil War reenactment a for a couple of years as a Western Confederate impression got me interested in the war in the West. Got to do a reenactment at Corinth, MS where we portrayed th 2nd Texas in their assault in Battery Robinette. Cool price of history.
Did 125th of Franklin. I truly saw the Elephant. All you needed was to add live rounds. We were marching to the point to begin the assault. We could see the works at the top of the hill. Not a word was uttered.

FYI the Charge at Franklin was longer, larger and had more casualties than the grand assault at Gettysburg on 3 July.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Junior college at Hillsboro has a museum which contains ALL or most of Confederate records ! Found my GGF report . You can probably email them but they charge a very small fee for the hunt .
JABQ04
AG
quote:
quote:
Did 125th of Franklin. I truly saw the Elephant. All you needed was to add live rounds. We were marching to the point to begin the assault. We could see the works at the top of the hill. Not a word was uttered.

FYI the Charge at Franklin was longer, larger and had more casualties than the grand assault at Gettysburg on 3 July.

Got the same impression at Corinth. Came out of the wood line and saw the redoubt with US Flags and lots of blue kepis in th distance. Formed from line of battle into double column of companies and went for it. One heck of an experience. If you blocked out the spectators and only stared straight ahead then it felt like I had stepped back in 1862. Who do you reenact with. My cousin, who got me into reenactments was at Franlin.
TERRY L
Both of my ggf's were in Wilson Rifles. They were from Gonzales. One joined when he was 15 or 16. Left his boys academy in Gonzales to join.
TJJackson
quote:
Junior college at Hillsboro has a museum which contains ALL or most of Confederate records ! Found my GGF report . You can probably email them but they charge a very small fee for the hunt .

Definitely want to look into this.
Lee72
AG
There are two index records of CSA soldiers for a Michael N Manning who served in Co G, 12th Texas Infantry Regiment (Young's).
He entered service as a Private and was promoted to rank of Corporal by war's end.

There is also an Indigent Soldier Petition #33871 submitted by a M N Manning who was born in Alabama but moved to Houston upon end of war.
Co G, 8th Texas Infantry, Overton Young, Col.
Highest rank held - Corporal
Aged 75 on 08Feb1917; born about 1842

Likely these are the same person since they were both in Young's Regiment and were Corporals at end of war.

I didn't find anything concrete regarding his "son".

Hope this helps you a little bit. This was from military records search on ancestry.com.

Regards,
Lee72
1st Lt Cmdr, 11th BGE
Texas Division, SCV
TJJackson
The first one would be correct. He died in 1866. I'm not sure about the other. He may have been his son, brother to my ggg-grandfather. Thank you for the info!
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
http://www.hillcollege.edu/museum/

Started from the collection of Harold Simpson, foremost expert on the Texas Brigade.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsi55
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Got the same impression at Corinth. Came out of the wood line and saw the redoubt with US Flags and lots of blue kepis in th distance. Formed from line of battle into double column of companies and went for it. One heck of an experience. If you blocked out the spectators and only stared straight ahead then it felt like I had stepped back in 1862. Who do you reenact with. My cousin, who got me into reenactments was at Franlin.
No longer in the hobby. Haven't campaigned since the 125th wtih my Dad. Went from age 15 until about age 30 then kids sports started to get it the way. All my uniforms and accoutrements could be mistaken for ACW originals now. I haven't gotten the itch start back up.
Neches21
My direct lineage ggg grandfather was in the 18th Texas Infantry Co A.
3 of his brothers were in the 7th Texas Cavalry Co D and another brother returned to his former home in East Alabama to fight with the 13th Alabama Co. K.

Lone Star Regiments in Gray by Wooster was one of better works that I referenced.
The Seventh Star of the Confederacy was another helpful read.
Csruffneck
I find all of this very interesting. When my grandmother passed away in 2008, she was one of the last surviving daughters of the comfederacy. Her father's (my great grandfather) saddle from the civil war is at my parents house.
VanZandt92
I'm supposed to do a CW reenactment in February. I'm trying to work up the excitement level, but man its pretty kitsch or at least cliche.
Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
My great grandfather was in the 12th Texas infantry. Nacogdoches County.

Confederate pension application #23477
jickyjack1
Csruffneck said:

I find all of this very interesting. When my grandmother passed away in 2008, she was one of the last surviving daughters of the comfederacy. Her father's (my great grandfather) saddle from the civil war is at my parents house.

Wow. Now that's real.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.