Gold shipment buried in Kerr or Bandera counties

9,416 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Belton Ag
insanediego
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't know if it is an old local BS story, but have heard over and over there was a gold shipment that was being chased. They buried their gold somewhere between Kerrville and Bandera, maybe into Medina County. Don't know if it was a government shipment (heard that before) or what. I have searched some online, but don't know if it is just an urban legend type thing or what. Anyone with more input?
insanediego
AG
and apologize if this is a germans bomb the moon thingy.....
CanyonAg77
AG
Don't see your tale at the link below, but it seems to be a common theme in Texas lore.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/tx-treasure.html
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Vestal_Flame
AG
Your cousin started that myth to get people to turn the dirt in his vegetable garden.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Rex Racer
AG
Stories like this are quite common. There are a couple of different versions of a story involving my 6 greats grandfather, some Indians, and a silver mine up in Indiana. One involves my ancestor being scalped and living to tell the tale. It's fun to read them and imagine them to be true, but the odds are they are just tall tales.

[This message has been edited by Rex Racer (edited 7/24/2012 7:17p).]
BQ78
AG
Not to mention Jim Bowie's lost gold cache up near Menard.
Bucketrunner
My grandmother told me that, as a child, she saw something east of Bowser, Texas, near the San Saba/Mills County line. A man came into the community and dug into the side of a small hill. Grandmother told me she saw a "statue of a lady" that was found there, but also said the man supposedly found gold.
Bighunter43
AG
I am very familiar with the Jim Bowie story near Menard and how the held off an "impossible" onslaught of Comanches.........however, there is a similar story near Silver Mine Pass close to Concan.......

Silver Mine Pass
Concan
Uvalde County, Texas
29 30.028' N 99 43.334' W
Directions: Start at the intersection of SH-83 and SH-127 in Concan. Located on SH-83 100 yards south of intersection on east side of the SH-83 in a pull-out.

Text: Named for silver mine opened near pass by Spaniards in 1700s or earlier. Ore was inferior, and mine was abandoned; but 14 shafts (some interconnecting) remain. Near the mine are remnants of a fortification made by 30 men under the leadership of James Bowie, later (1836) a hero of the siege to the Alamo. In 1831, while at work at this mine, Bowie's men repulsed a Comanche attack in a fierce, all-day battle. Hero of the fight was Bowie's slave, "Black Jim Bowie," who risked his life by leaving the fortification to bring water to the besieged.
See photo in original gallery.
keywords: texas historical marker uvalde county historical marker silver mine pass........................well as a boy our Deer lease was on this land where it took place (owned by Dolphin Briscoe).......anyway one day my father and I found the old Spanish mind shafts and the University of Texas Archeological students had a place marked for the Bowie "fortification", only it made no sense as it was on the side of a hill and they would have easily been attacked from above......so we explored the hill above and near the crest we found a "fortification" of piled rocks which WE believe was the real location of the fight......wish I had a metal detector back then!!! Anyway.....,all this talk brought back a fond memory from my childhood!!

[This message has been edited by Bighunter43 (edited 7/25/2012 11:16a).]
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Been many years since I read Coronado's Children
GoneGirl
AG
Cortez's Aztec gold is said to be in hidden in Texas as well.

[This message has been edited by TxElsie (edited 7/28/2012 10:43p).]
insanediego
AG
Was a Realtor recently for 6 years (sadly) and showed some places around the Mt Medina and Sugarloaf Hill area. This story came up over and over. That pass thru there was the focus
, forgot the name. Have a friend that I'll see tomorrow, her family owns lots of land there, will find out what's up. I have seen write up online on this area before, just can't find it
oragator
Might at least be medal detector worthy.
breanna1597
I know about gold buried in Kerr county. Growing up my great grandmother told me her grandfather had a bunch of Spanish gold and when they switched from the gold standard, he hid it in a limestone cave on our property. My aunt has verified the story, and my grandfather told me before he passed that he and his best friend found the gold, but the cave was filled with rattlesnakes, and when they went back they couldn't find the cave again. Take it with a grain of salt though, its only a family legend.
Apache
AG
Quote:

he hid it in a limestone cave on our property.

How freaking big is your property that you can't find that cave again???
I'd divide the place into quadrants & be out there with a GPS & metal detector every weekend.
JABQ04
AG
For real. I want to come help look. Could this be the TA History board meet-up?
aalan94
AG
People don't just ship gold randomly from here to there. If Gold or any valuable is being shipped, it's coming from one place that has gold and going to one place (could even be a moving place like an army camp) that does not and needs it.

I grew up in Medina County and the route, if that's what it is, of this gold makes no sense. There were a few forts, but not many, and there isn't a logical reason for gold to be just wandering around out there. More plausible is that it was on the road to El Paso (today's Highway 90) and got abandoned there. Or even more likely that it was going the other way, after coming from California.
Belton Ag
AG
breanna1597 said:

I know about gold buried in Kerr county. Growing up my great grandmother told me her grandfather had a bunch of Spanish gold and when they switched from the gold standard, he hid it in a limestone cave on our property. My aunt has verified the story, and my grandfather told me before he passed that he and his best friend found the gold, but the cave was filled with rattlesnakes, and when they went back they couldn't find the cave again. Take it with a grain of salt though, its only a family legend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.