Hotard`s Cafeteria in Bryan

7,549 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hhilton82
Vestal_Flame
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On page 535 of the 1948 Longhorn, there is an ad for Hotard's cafeteria in Bryan.

Does anyone here remember the place?

Is it related to J.C. Hotard, the director of subsistence for whom the dorm is named?
terata
AG
Yes, I do. Hotards was near the intersection of Villa Maria and Texas Ave, close to the jack-in the Box and that loan company (I think that's whats there now); don't know about family connections.
Vestal_Flame
AG
Thanks. How long did it last?
RoseRichAg01
Interesting (as a former Hotard resident).
HHAG
AG
Here is an ad in the Caldwell paper from '46.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth175718/m1/6/zoom/

[This message has been edited by Yumakazi (edited 6/27/2012 3:06p).]
Vestal_Flame
AG
Wow. Many thanks.
Aggie63
AG
It was there throughout the 50s for sure. It was the only cafeteria in town as I recall. Fast food was not common. A few drive-ins (The Triangle), Bil Bera Root Beer, the Humdinger(burger joint) etc...
RGV AG
AG
Not to derail the thread, but on the front page of that old Caldwell paper the headline is the worst drought in 10 years. Some things never seem to change.
OldArmy71
AG
I remember eating there as a kid in the late 50s.
Jim65
AG
Vestal_Flame

E-mail me at gigem at suddenlink dot net. I went to school with the Hotard boys. One was a sergebutt in my outfit and his younger brother was one of my fish buddies.

So far as I know they were not OR only distantly related to the subsistence director but I can tell you how to contact fish Hotard nowadays. IIRC his older brother died last year and his name was called at Muster this year.
EVA3
AG
My understanding is that Hotard's was further north than Texas/VM. At its former location now stands a pawn shop, right next to the former Townshire shopping center.

My parents spoke fondly of Bil Bera's Root Beer Stand. They knew a guy named Tracy Peters who, after Friday night ropings, would take a bucket in and get it filled with root beer for his horse.
Vestal_Flame
AG
Jim65, thanks for the offer, but it's not worth bothering the guy. I was mostly interested in the connection to Hotard Hall, if any, which it sounds like there wasn't.
terata
AG
EVA you're thinking of the old Wyatt's cafeteria in Townshire.
EVA3
AG
Perhaps, but they may have been in the same place. If Wyatt's was there, Hotard's predates it there. The earliest Wyatt's I remember was downtown (Texas and 31st or thereabouts?).
EVA3
AG
Anyone know the exact location of Bil Bera's Root Beer Stand? I understand it was on South College, just north of Municipal Lake.
sarancher
AG
I went to Hotards many times. It was in the building the pawnshop in at Townshire.
Wyatts was about a mile further north down Texas Ave on the opposite side of the road.
Lee72
AG
Address in the newspaper add says "311 N Main St, Bryan, TX"...maybe that will help you find where it was situated.
AggieFanSince1955
Hotards was first located in downtown Bryan on Main Street @23rd Street.My dad worked as a cook at Hotard's in the late 1940s while going to A&M. Hotard's moved to the Townshire Shopping Center in the late1950s in the stand-alone building. Growing up my dad, who was a tremendous cook, would often prepare Sunday meals and holiday meals. My mom loved it. He made a fantastic beef stew during the winter. When he prepared a pot roast with potatoes, carrots and onions he would also make his "bourbon gravy," and, yes, it had real bourbon in it. After the meal my brothers and I would fight over who was going to get the leftover gravy.
schotard
This is a really old conversation, but I just had to chime in:
Yes, Hotard's Cafeteria in Bryan and Hotard Hall, the dorm at A&M are related to the same person, J.C. Hotard, my grandpa!
Is old Hotard Hall still turned into"Hotard Hell", a haunted house, at Halloween anymore?
Susan C. Hotard
WaltonAg18
AG
I don't think that's a thing anymore, hasn't been since I've been at A&M. It's just for some sort of student services now
pilgrim82
AG
My mom worked at Bill Bera's when she was 15/16. She says it was only open in the summer. They served hot dogs, root beer, and purple cows (root beer floats).
H6RBW
AG
I read the ad and it mentioned "food shortages". What was that about?
aalan94
AG
Come on guys, it's Hotard. It's a Stealth restaurant. That's why you can't see it.
EMY92
AG
H6RBW said:

I read the ad and it mentioned "food shortages". What was that about?
Post war, there was rationing during the war, my guess is that it took time to get production really moving with troops still returning from Europe and the Pacific. We were also shipping huge amounts of food to Europe.
aalan94
AG
Shortages are overstated. There was less production than in the pre-war period, but America has been producing agricultural surpluses almost continually since the late 1800s. To some degree, rationing was almost more for social control and getting people to think they were part of the system. The big pictures you've seen of them turning in their pots and pans were propaganda. In almost no cases were those of a material quality useful for the war. A few things like rubber/tires, were definitely in short supply, but Americans were never going to run out of food.

edit: Distribution is another matter. Real, localized shortages were possible, so from that perspective, you can't call the rationing system a complete fraud. But it was not as necessary as people would have you believe.
Aggie63
AG
Re the Bil Bera...the location mentioned by Eva was correct. It was located on S. College near the Country Club Lake....(on the left as you were going towards Bryan from C.S.). It was a small building set by itself, with a overhead awning....it never had but a few customers at a time (3 or 4 cars), but a steady flow of them. Especially satisfying on a hot day because the Root Beer was ice cold and in a frosted mug....we as teens thought it was the best root beer on the face of the earth....
Ag86Hotard109
AG
schotard said:

Yes, Hotard's Cafeteria in Bryan and Hotard Hall, the dorm at A&M are related to the same person, J.C. Hotard, my grandpa!
Is old Hotard Hall still turned into"Hotard Hell", a haunted house, at Halloween anymore?
Susan C. Hotard
I approve of this message! And thank you for your legacy!
TooTall 06
AG
schotard said:

Susan C. Hotard

Hotard Exists!

I was one of the last residents of Hotard Hall. We did the last Hotard Hell in the fall of '04. We tried to take the tradition on to Schuhmacher when the old Hotard guys moved over there, but it didn't really catch on.
Hhilton82
AG
Stay a night at the Hilton!
Paid $165 a SEMESTER for room #115 ( a single room larger than most doubles on campus).
Four year resident. Many of us are still in touch.
Best dorm ever.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.