Where was the "old" mess hall?

5,390 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by YokelRidesAgain
Vestal_Flame
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have never seen a historical marker or any other indication of the location of the old mess hall. Where was it?
DogCo84
AG
Well, Sbisa was around back into the 1920s. Not sure what the situation might have been prior to Sbisa.
powerbiscuit
I assumed Sbisa was built over it or near it, but it was an assumption based on no evidence that I can recall.

A pre-1913 yearbook might be the best source.
aalan94
AG
Would help to know what the name of it was.

Try this link:

http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=1773

Never mind. Looks like it already has a mess hall that looks sort of like Sbisa (the image is screwed up) at that location.

[This message has been edited by aalan94 (edited 4/26/2012 11:37a).]
powerbiscuit
on that map, directly above Shirley Hotel (blue pin) is a building labled "Dining Hall" and just above that is the word "Mess" which is probably what you are looking for.

I've only heard it referred to as "Mess Hall", but I'm no expert on the subject.

[This message has been edited by powerbiscuit (edited 4/26/2012 11:47a).]
lhardem
http://www.lsjunction.com/tamu/buildings/0000-campus-maps/campus-in-1900.jpg
As shown on this layout of the campus buildings in 1900, the old mess hall was located next to the President's home (just below the President's home in the image). Although not labeled, Sbisa is shown in gray just above and to the left of of the President's home.

The image is part of Appendix H in my recently published book Texas A&M: The First 25 Years. More about the book can be found at www.lsjunction.com/pubs/tamu/.

Lyman Hardeman '66

PS: Looks like the image is not displaying. I used the image tags as suggested in "forum code help" but doesn't seem to work. An suggestions about how to properly display the image? Thanks, LJH

[This message has been edited by lhardem (edited 4/27/2012 12:32p).]

[This message has been edited by lhardem (edited 4/27/2012 12:38p).]
Vestal_Flame
AG
lhardem,

Tell me more about this book.

For instance, is it better for you if I order from the website or just buy it from Bookpeople?
Vestal_Flame
AG
Looking at your .jpg, it looks like the mess hall was in the Lechner/McFadden/Haas area.
lhardem
Vestal_Flame,

Either way is fine. If you order online, I will be happy to sign the copy and include a bookmark with a panoramic view of the campus (using the same original as on the cover of the book).

The Table of Contents and Preface at the link provided gives the best overview of the contents of the book. I will be happy to answer any more specific questions that you may have.

Thanks for your interest,
Lyman

Lyman Hardeman '66

[This message has been edited by lhardem (edited 4/27/2012 2:29p).]
lhardem
Vestal_Flame,

That is correct. The President's home was about where the Jones St. end of Lechner is today. The Mess Hall was about dead center where McFadden is today.

Lyman Hardeman '66

[This message has been edited by lhardem (edited 4/27/2012 2:51p).]
powerbiscuit
quote:
PS: Looks like the image is not displaying.

If you notice your status of "R", which means "Rookie", you aren't allowed to post pictures. You will be able to do so once your post count goes up.
powerbiscuit

for some reason, it doesn't seem to work for me either. I uploaded it to photobucket. I assume that is ok, if not, let me know and I'll take it down.

[This message has been edited by powerbiscuit (edited 4/27/2012 1:32p).]
lhardem
powerbiscuit,

Sucks being a "Rookie." :-(

Always appreciate a little help from my friends who are "Legends" like yourself. :-)

Thanks much for posting the image,
Lyman

Lyman Hardeman '66
powerbiscuit
I'm a legend only in being lazy and making lots of posts on the internet. Most of them are worthless, but they count the same as the good ones.

For the time being, just post the link to whatever you'd like to share, and someone will be happy to help you along.
powerbiscuit
And, I'm not sure how new you are, but you might want to keep in mind...

as a rookie, you are limited in the number of posts per day that you are allowed, so you'll want to not waste them or get into a prolonged discussion for a few days.

Just max out your number of posts for a few days and you'll soon get to the level where you are pretty much free to do as you wish.
commando2004
AG
There's a plaque next to McFadden Hall that marks the site of the old mess hall.
45-70Ag
AG
Didn't the president's home burn ?
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Lyman - Just ordered a hardback copy here at 3:30 AM up in the Pacific Northwest; sometime it's worth it not being able to sleep Look forward to receiving it and reading about the early history. Thanks!! Cardiac Saturday '74
iamtheglove
Can't help with the location, but the mess hall that preceded Sbisa was built around 1897, I believe. As a point of reference, I have a hand colored "original plan" for the mess hall that was published in the magazine: American Architect and Building News, in October 16, 1897.
powerbiscuit
nobody is going to believe you if you don't post a pic
iamtheglove
powerbiscuit
that's amazing, thanks for sharing
OldArmy71
AG
Good detective work on this thread. Interesting stuff.
ABATTBQ87
AG
that's funny that the architects drew 3 people in front of the building and one of them was a woman, at an all male college
45-70Ag
AG
someone had to do the dishes
aalan94
DustysLineup
AG
Another image from the 1903 Longhorn:

BQ78
AG
That's a good looking building, glad they tore it down so it wouldn't disrupt the look of the campus.
powerbiscuit
It just didn't fit the outlook for Project 1970 with a campus of nothing but rectangular brown boxes.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Company D outfit picture in the 1903 Longhorn:

Looks like in front of the mess hall:

[This message has been edited by ABATTBQ87 (edited 5/2/2012 12:01p).]
OldArmy71
AG
The old mess hall burned down in 1911 after a fire started in the kitchen.
EVA3
AG
Who's the chick with the saber?
BQ78
AG
Okay, glad it burned down-- hope no one was hurt.
45-70Ag
AG
Old main, old mess hall.......... Did these people not understand fire?
BQ78
AG
Rule #1 was followed but selection was poor. With all that material one cannot tell if she is a hottie or not-- best estimate is no. It may come down to the knees and their sharpness, which are not visible and thus not ascertained. Please post another picture of Co. D girl in a string bikini, so a final determination may be made.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.