General Custer in Texas

2,855 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BQ78
superbowlringd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stationed in Hempstead and Austin around 1865. His father and his brother were there also.
BQ78
AG
Spent most of it in Austin. Loved taking Libbie and the band up to Mt. Bonnell for concerts. Moved his men north of town in tents near today's 38th St on Shoal Creek so they wouldn't mix with the civilians, kept them out of town. He loved partying with the local bigwigs at his headquarters in the still standing Nowatny Building next to the Erwin Center on the tu campus. At the time it was north of town.

The Neil Cochrane House was used as the hospital for his troops. Austin loved him for his velvet glove and mourned him when he died 10 years later. It was in Austin where the post-war troops began to hate him because he viewed them as trash and kept them out of town.
CanyonAg77
AG
Having just finished Empire of the Summer Moon, I'm struck by the relative glory of Custer vs. the obscurity of Ranald S. McKenzie, who was a much more effective officer and Indian fighter.
airplane driver
S
Canyon - Custer had much better PR. Sort of like the difference between a rat and a squirrel. The squirrel has a better PR agent.
CanyonAg77
AG
Better PR? That would be his wife Libby, right? Wasn't she the big factor behind his legacy?
huisache
Custer got better PR during the war between the states and then wrote a book or two that got a lot of press.

Libby carried on.

Agree McKenzie was a lot more effective.

When I was in grad school at UT I saw a picture of Custer and staff standing on the steps of a building in Austin that was part of the "Old Campus;" It was built before the school got started but incorporated into it later. It was on 19th street if memory serves.

Also, while in Texas Custer executed one of his own men for stealing from a local.
4ZORRO
AG
I'm convinced, lets change tu from the longhorns to the tu custer's.

[This message has been edited by 4ZORRO (edited 1/10/2011 4:09p).]
Killer-K 89
AG
Custer on the steps of the Arno Nowotny House which is restored and is on the UT campus. As mentioned it was the Blind Asylum and his HQ during his time in Austin.

http://www.nchmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/The-Custer-Photo.jpg
JR69
AG
So G.A. Custer was a teasip - go figure....
dead zip 01
AG
Custer is largely famous because in the end he was a failure and got butchered. I'm sure McKenzie is just fine with less notoriety and a full life.

It reminds me of a scene in Lonesome Dove when Gus discusses this very topic with Call and says people forgot who they were because they never got killed. He says if some indians had wiped them out like the Souix did Custer they would be writing songs about them for a hundred years.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I'm sure McKenzie is just fine with less notoriety and a full life.
Said the guy who doesn't know McKenzie's life story.
dead zip 01
AG
quote:
Said the guy who doesn't know McKenzie's life story.

You are largely correct, I was just guessing he must have had a better ending than Custer. Being from Shackelford County I am familar with him and his role in the Indian wars but not much more than that. I will have to add him to my list of topics to read up on.
ja86
AG
yep, not a pleasant way to go....
WestAustinAg
AG
He had some sort of mental illness at the end of his life. As Canyon said reach "Empire of the Summer Moon" for much more on McKenzie's life.

[This message has been edited by WestAustinAg (edited 1/14/2011 1:48p).]
CanyonAg77
AG
WestAustinAg said:

He had some sort of mental illness at the end of his life. As Canyon said reach "Empire of the Summer Moon" for much more on McKenzie's life.

[This message has been edited by WestAustinAg (edited 1/14/2011 1:48p).]
Likely Syphilis
Krautag81
I believe G.A.Custer also stayed at Liendo Ranch near Hempstead for a spell. I've been to one of the Civil War reinactments there and that one of their claims to fame.
JABQ04
AG
Heard the same thing. I was told the only reason it wasn't torched after he moved in was because he liked it so much
Cen-Tex
AG

-the Custer's and about 4000 troops resided at Liendo Plantation for 4 months in late 1865. The grounds also served as as a Union army POW camp during the war.
Cen-Tex
AG

Elizabeth 'Libbie' Bacon Custer
Agthatbuilds
Not bad at all.
BQ78
AG

Here is his Cheyenne wife, Monahsetah.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.