Bataan Death March -- Aggies

5,891 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any way to find a list of Aggies who were a part of or killed in the Bataan Death March?? Making a 28 mile trek here later this month --- would like to carry a list or something with the name of Aggies who were involved in the march if possible.

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!
airplane driver
S
Association of Former Students?
Aggies Revenge
AG
There is a list that is included in "Texas Aggies Go to War" but it is not exclusively Death March related.
Spore Ag
Is this an organized event? This is something I would like to do.
wareagle044
I suppose a list of Aggies involved in the initial surrender, march, and rescue would work. I'm not 100% sure, but what i may do is fly my Auburn and A&M flags side by side with whatever names of alumni from the schools i can find written on them.

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!
wareagle044
spore-

http://www.bataanmarch.com/

here is what i believe to be the official march which is held in White Sands, New Mexico --- but there are probably many installations around the country that are doing something similar. I am on Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo right now and they have plotted a course here. I'll be carrying my weapon with allotted 35 lbs and possibly my 2 flags. I'll have to rig up a 2nd flag pole as I only have one.

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!
Spore Ag
Looks great. You have not heard of on on Bataan itself.
One other question. When is an Auburn fan a War Eagle and when is he a Tiger?
wareagle044
War Eagle = a battle cry, not a mascot -- similar to "Remember the Alamo" or even "Gig 'Em"

At Auburn's first ever football a civil war vet had an eagle and it died while flying over the field and auburn won. . anyways, the legend stuck and Auburn flies the eagle in honor before each home game. We are on War Eagle VII right now and his name is Nova, a golden eagle. We also fly a Bald Eagle occasionally who is named "Spirit"

so anyways, Auburn fan is always a Tiger with a War Eagle spirit and the heart of a Plainsman.

So goes the saying, Auburn University: Where the eagle soars, the Tiger roars, and the Plainsmen aren't so plain.

here's an article explaining the confusion somewhat.

http://www.thebisch.com/auburns-mascots

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!

[This message has been edited by wareagle044 (edited 3/2/2010 5:54p).]
Spore Ag
Do not get me wrong i really like the SEC but they are great to give SH.....t to. I guess it is an Alabama thing. Like what is this roll tide thing with the mascot an elephant.
Oh, also another good hike is Hadrians wall in north England. A 5 day hike 94 miles? but with numerous pub stops.
terata
AG
I'll do some research but MG George F. Moore may have been on the Death March. He was definitely captured on Corregidor and spent the war as a POW.

[This message has been edited by terata (edited 3/3/2010 8:26a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
There were several young Aggie officers on Corregidor with General Moore. He had been professor of military science at A&M in the 30s, and was transferred to the Philippines. He managed to get several recently commissioned Aggies transferred with him. The Philippines were a coveted assignment and he was doing these guys a favor....until December 7, 1941.
CanyonAg77
AG
Found it for you

It's a Google Books excerpt from Texas Aggies Go to War and has a list of Aggies who served on Corregidor and Bataan, with the ones killed in action or as POWs marked.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 3/3/2010 8:39a).]
terata
AG
Moore was a POW, but apparently avoided the Death March.
wareagle044
My question is this, i dont think any service during this time period should go unrecognized, if i could put every Aggie's name who served in the Pacific (and Europe for that matter) on a flag and march it around the world I would. Would it be like going to a Rangers/Astros game and wearing a Braves jersey but cheering for one of the teams to put every name on this list down?? (i am planning on putting all the names on my A&M flag and carrying it while I march) I'm not 100% up to date on it but what is the correlation between Bataan and Corregidor? It seems those both come up when you put just a little research into it.

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!
OldArmy71
AG
The American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor make it a point to let everyone know that those on Corregidor--who certainly suffered grievously--were NOT on the Death March, since they surrendered several weeks after the Death March.

My uncle, Capt. Paul Armstrong Brown '28, is on that list of those captured on Corregidor. His name is on that 1969 plaque and on the original plaque on the front of the MSC. He was a Marine--1st Battalion, 4th Marines--serving under Army commanders. He was awarded the Army Silver Star for his actions on Corregidor. The 1943 Longhorn has a 4-page spread devoted to him. (Other spreads cover other Aggies, as well as Nimitz and MacArthur).

He was wounded during the shelling of the island, spent the time from the surrender until Dec. 1944 in a POW camp in the Phillipines, and then boarded a "hell ship" that was subsequently bombed and sunk by American warplanes. He survived the attack, was transferred to another ship, and arrived in Japan in Jan. 1945. He died in a POW camp, probably in early Feb. 1945.

From this site: http://www.oryokumaruonline.org/about.html

"In summary, of approximately 1,619 men who boarded the Oryoku Maru, 450 survived the voyage to Japan; of those 450 survivors, 161 died in Japanese work camps. That left only 271 men of the original 1,619 who survived to be liberated in August 1945."

I won't say what I think of the Japanese of this time period.....

You can read the offical Marine Corps history of the defense of Corregidor here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/I/USMC-I-IV-3.html

And War Eagle, I am so glad that you intend to carry those names in honor of their sacrifices. Thank you!

[This message has been edited by OldArmy71 (edited 3/3/2010 10:33a).]

[This message has been edited by OldArmy71 (edited 3/3/2010 10:41a).]

[This message has been edited by OldArmy71 (edited 3/3/2010 10:47a).]
wareagle044
quote:
The American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor make it a point to let everyone know that those on Corregidor--who certainly suffered grievously--were NOT on the Death March, since they surrendered several weeks after the Death March

This is really my main concern. While I think it is worthy of being honored for the sacrifices of soldiers from both places...would it be "inappropriate" to honor those from Corregidor while participating in a Bataan Memorial March?? Are the men of this list soley from Corregidor or are there members of this list who were part of the death march. I wouldn't want to show up to the duck hunting banquet with a goose in my hand so to speak.

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!
OldArmy71
AG
I see your point.

I would say that there is no way to distinguish who was on Bataan vs. who was on Corregidor from the list Canyon cited. You might try the ADBC website.

To further complicate matters, at least a hundred or so soldiers swam from Bataan out to Corregidor Island and so avoided the original surrender of the Bataan contingent. I don't know if any Aggies were among them.

From my obviously biased perspective, I think there is nothing whatsoever wrong with honoring the entire list Canyon gave you.
wareagle044
i tend to feel the same way OldArmy, in a sense they all endured some sort of "march" and trial in their service in the area. This road march isnt anything near comparable to what those who endured the Bataan March had to go through so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I plan on doing the same thing with my Auburn flag, and flying them side by side. I am having a hard time finding a list of names like the one obtained for A&M though. My grandfather served in this area towards the end of the war, so I will probably use this time to commemorate his service as well by wearing his units patch on my uniform.

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!

[This message has been edited by wareagle044 (edited 3/3/2010 11:14a).]
OldArmy71
AG
Sounds like an excellent thing to do. Thank you again.
airplane driver
S
When ADJr was in Jr Historians, his team did a report on the Tx National Guard unit captured on Java and sent to work on the railroad in Thailand (Bridge on the River Kwai railroad). After they finished the Americans were sent to the coal mines above Nagasaki. When ADjr's team got to the State finals, the judges were three female professors from tu. ADjr's team lost because the judges could not determine if the POWs suffered and overcame - which was the theme that year. ADjrs team lost to a group that had done a project on the Vietnam War protestors.
My whole point of this post is to agree that regardless of the death march or not, POWs suffered.
CanyonAg77
AG
Holy crap, airplane driver. Ignorant tsip professors.

OldArmy71-

I don't ever recall seeing that plaque to the Bataan/Correggidor veterans. Is it still on campus, and if so, where?
OldArmy71
AG
Lord knows where it is now or will be when the renovations are complete, but here is where it used to be:

As you approached the main entrance of the MSC, the large bronze plaque with the names of all those killed in the war was on your right.

The plaque listing those on Bataan and Corregidor (it was a much smaller plaque) was on your left.
olarmy69
Among my most treasured Aggie keepsakes is a 1940 ram card signed by Col. Moore while he was commondant of the Corps at A&M. Any of you guys remember what a ram card was?

General Moore was a POW of the Japs but later died in the 1950s at a relatively young age. I cannot find any details concerning his death but have heard ugly rumors concerning his untimely death such as a possible suicide.

My Grandmother's sister, my great aunt. lost her 2 sons on the Battan death march. One was killed during the march and the other committed sucicide due to the stress put upon him.

I can never forgive the Japs for their hurt upon my family.
OldArmy71
AG
I saved one of my ram cards from 1969--Jan. 9, in fact--my birthday!

[This message has been edited by OldArmy71 (edited 3/4/2010 10:33p).]
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
General Moore spoke at the Muster in Pearl in 1946.

He was in poor health from his years as a POW and did , apparently, commit suicide by gunshot , sadly. Believe it was in 1949.

The 1950 Former Students Directory lists by class and cause of EVERY casualty or training death in WW11.

[This message has been edited by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas (edited 3/4/2010 1:19p).]
wareagle044

87 Aggies

WAR EAGLE!
GIG 'EM!
Aggies Revenge
OldArmy71
AG
That is very moving to me. I know my mother and the rest of my uncle's family would be very grateful. Thank you.
terata
olarmy69
Big Jim thank you. I really did not want to hear that since my cousin was a victim also. God has given these men peace that they so deserve. Never let us forget their sacrifice.
olarmy69
If you guys will tell me how I can post this ram card on this forum I will attempt to do so. Also I have more to show, Not comuter savy
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
How many rams and what for?
ja86
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
A report by Gen. Moore gives the day to day hour by hour combat report on Corregidor from Dec.8, 1941 to final surrender in April 1942.

http://corregidor.org/chs_moorerpt/moore3.htm

[This message has been edited by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas (edited 3/5/2010 3:52p).]
terata
AG
Big Jim's url is good, but it doesn't want to link by code forum rules. Nevertheless, do take the opportunity to read the Wainwright Papers, they are enlightening.

Regarding an earlier post about Moore's suicide. He did indeed drive a jeep up into the California hills, near San Francisco, take out his service .45 and shoot himself in the head. That event occurred in 1949. Reasons given were health issues that were beginning to surface and psychologically Moore did not recover well from his captivity. Essentially he was an early, non-identified PTSD victim.

RIP MG Moore.

[This message has been edited by terata (edited 3/6/2010 7:35a).]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.