Official TexAgs History Board Book Thread

15,549 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Apache
terata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TTT
terata
AG
quote:
Korean War
No threads found, but I recommend TR Fehrenbach's excellent book "This Kind of War¨

Allow me to recommend "East of Chosin" by Roy Appleman, Texas A&M Press. If you decide to read this book, I don't think you'll regret it. It enlightens the reader to a little known part of history that might have been lost forever w/o Appleman's attention. Check it out
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
New book about Gen. Bernard Schriever '31.

A Fiery Peace in a Cold War

Random House $32

Neil Sheehan

Nuclear Arms Race as seen through the eyes of Gen. Schriever
Bibendum 86
AG
I just finished "Rayburn: A Biography" by Hardeman and Bacon. Highly recommended.
terata
AG
While a 19th century history link exists, I did not see too many titles for The Indian Wars. Allow me to recommend a short story by Joe R. Lansdale, titled Soldierin'. It is a story about the 9th Cavalry in Texas....Buffalo Soldiers. I think you might be entertained if nothing else. I recommend it, without reservation.

(FWIW, Joe R. Lansdale wrote Bubba Ho-Tep, and The God of the Razor et.al. Basically he is a Horror/Fantasy genre writer. Nevertheless, he lives in TEXAS and many of his settings are in TEXAS as is Soldierin'. Some of you on this board do have a superior IQ and intellect and will enjoy Lansdale immensely.)
Apache
AG
Bump. Did this thing get un-stickied?
Apache
AG
Up again!
I Like Mike
AG
Liking this thread.....great idea for a history nerd like me!

-----------------------

And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. - 1 Corinthians 2:1-5
JoeAggie1010
Great thread. I am going to be working on my Texas history, so thanks for the links.

Some other great reads are;
-Army at Dawn. The beginning of the U.S entry into WWII, Rick Atkinson
-Day of Battle. The continuation of a trilogy (the third is being worked on currently) focusing on the Mediterranean Campaign, Rick Atkinson.

-Attacks. The "diary" notations during WWI, which in turn became a well written book. It is a must read! Erwin Rommel.

-Coldest Winter. The larger look at the Korean War. David Halberstam

-An Enormous Crime. Story about POWs left behind in Vietnam, over 1000 personnel, in exchange for the eventual armistice between the U.S. and North Vietnam. Very sad after reading all the documented facts presented. Bill Hendon (R-N.C.)/Elizabeth Stewart.

-American Presidency. A synopsis of all of our Presidents qualities, and the lack their of. Alan Brinkley/Davis Dyer
Apache
AG
Added some WWI & Middle Age/Renaissance books to the list...
aalan94
AG
You know, we have an old thread that's basically the same premise as this one. I think I even started it. I need to find that and merge it in.
Apache
AG
It's probably already linked somewhere in my original post. I was pretty careful searching for all book related threads. Look through my posts & if you see it, I'll re-name the link to give it more prominence.
Apache
AG
Bump!
scrappy94ag
The Religion - Tim Willocks.

It's fiction. It's about the Hospitallers during the Turkish siege of Malta in the 1500s.
BQ78
AG
TTT for Lorenz
Clavell
AG
Love Colleen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
ttt mainly bc I have been looking for some good reqs with my frequent(perhaps too frequent) trips to half price books.
tgray99
AG
I did my Masters degree in Space Studies, if anyone is interested, I can put together a list of my favorite history of the manned space program literature. My masters project was an annotated bibliography of all of the biographical, autobiographical, and historical literature on the subject I could get my hands on. Chances are, if it's been published on the subject, I've read it...and probably own it.

It's not a very useful degree for an out-of-work Army Wife.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
The Blood of Heroes - story of the Alamo.

Jim Donovan Author ( see his books on Custer )

Little Brown publisher

Just out!
AggieBaseball06
AG
TTT, by request
tmaggies
AG
Great books...Indian Depredations in Texas and Famous Indian Fighters of Southwest Texas.
Apache
AG
Bumped for folks looking for books...
Apache
AG
Bump
aalan94
AG
I'm going to update my post on Page 1 with additions to the list.
SapperAg
AG
For those interested in colonial history:

War and Society:
The First Way of War, by John Grenier
Our Savage Neighbors, by Peter Silver
In the Name of War, by Jill Lepore
The Skulking Way of War, by Patrick Malone
Conquering the American Wilderness, Guy Chet
European and Native American Warfare, Armstrong Starkey
A Rabble in Arms, Kyle Zelner
The War that Made America, Fred Anderson
The Yamasee War, William Ramsey
The Tuscarora War, David La Vere

Social and Cultural History:
Founding Mothers and Fathers, Mary Beth Norton
The Devil in the Shape of a Woman, Carol Karlsen
In the Devil's Snare, Mary Beth Norton
Captors and Captives (1704 Deerfield Raid), Evan Haefeli
The First Frontier, Scott Weidensaul
The Unredeemed Captive, John Demos (a classic)
The Heathen School, John Demos
A Little Commonwealth, John Demos
Black Majority, Peter Wood
The Transformation of Virginia, Rhyss Isaacs
American Slavery, American Freedom, Edmund Morgan
Roger Williams: The Church and the State, Edmund Morgan
The Puritan Family, Edmund Morgan
Visible Saints, Edmund Morgan
White Over Black, Winthrop Jordan
Many Thousands Gone, Ira Berlin
Good Wives, Nasty Wenches, and Anxious Patriarchs, Kathleen Brown
Good Wives, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Sex Among the Rabble, Clare Lyons
Facing East from Indian Country, Daniel Richter
Changes in the Land, William Cronon
Into the American Woods, Daniel Richter
The Middle Ground, Richard White
Worlds of Wonder, Days of Judgement, David Hall
Ag_EQ12
AG
We should update the WWI list with all the new publications in the past few years.

I recommend Christopher Clark, The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 this is a great book on the origins of the war. Excellent research including Russian, Austrian, and "Balkan" archives. Clark focuses more on the "how" than the "why" the war came about. The Sleepwalkers has been very well received in both the academic and popular market. Clark argues that the blame for the war rests on all the major players and to focus on one guilty party is to completely misunderstand the complexity of how the war started.

I also recommend Alexander Watson, Ring of Steel: Germany and Austria-Hungary in World War I for a great look at the experience of the Central Powers. Watson's work is really impressive in its breadth and depth. He really focuses on the civilian experience in Germany and Austria-Hungary. Great read that helps balance the field that has been so dominated by the Western powers. Also very well received. Watson won the Society for Military History's Distinguished Book Award in 2015.
The Debt
Add "Inside the Kremlin's Cold War" by Zubok, Pleshakov

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Kremlins-Cold-War-Krushchev/dp/0674455320

They analyze the major players/drivers of the USSR up to 1962. IIRC they were the first historians to get confidential access to Kremlin files after the fall.
74OA
AG
Great resources:

Military Bibliographies
Military History
Military Classics
74OA
AG
"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics." Gen. R.H. Barrow, USMC Commandant

For Want of a Nail, Kenneth Macksey
Feeding Mars, John Lynn
Mobilizing US Industry in WWII, Alan Gropman
US Army Mobilization and Logistics in the Korean War, Terrence J. Gough
Supplying War, Martin Van Creveld
Moving Mountains, LTG William Pagonis
Command Decisions, US Army Center of Military History
The Logistics of Waging War, David Rutenberg
US Army in WWII: The Ordnance Department on Beachhead and Battlefront, US Army Office of Military History
US Army in WWII: The Technical Series, The Ordinance Department, Procurement and Supply, US Army Office of Military History
The Debt
Dont forget The Influence of Sea Power Upon History by Mahan

That book has built empires.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1440080003/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0486255093&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0G1Q4CRFWRDMX5WXP4CQ
Apache
AG
2017 Bump
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.