band of brothers question

10,499 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gigemhilo
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i haven't read the book, so it may be answered in there, but,,

in the 'points' episode, a german officer offers his pistol to winters as his personal surrender. winters tells him he may keep his sidearm. however, in the documentary afterwards, the real dick winters has a pistol and says it was given to him by a surrendering german officer. was it from another officer? did the writers of the show make a mistake? changed for "dramatic purposes"? what happened here?
airplane driver
S
I can't answer your question difinitively but I am sure that there was more than one German officer that surrendered to him.
Kyle98
AG
There's some good discussion on this same subject from when the miniseries first aired over at WildBillGuarnere.com's forums.

[This message has been edited by Kyle98 (edited 2/14/2008 10:23a).]
BQ78
AG
My father-in-law said they collected garbage cans full of sidearms from Germans and that the REMFs from HQ would come down and ask for some to take home. He'd always give them some on one condition. When they got all worried looking and asked what the condition was he'd say, "Just tell everyone you got it compliments of the 811 Tank Destroyer Battalion, Recon Co."
Bismarck
AG
This reminds me of the poor SOB who couldn't wait to get a Luger and when he finally got one, he accidentally killed himself with it.
TXAGBQ76
AG
My dad fought at the Battle of the Bulge (among others of course). He brought home an officer's luger, holster and two clips- which I now have- that he took from said officer.

I would love to get it appraised.
Voiceofreason1
Not sure on the answer, but you should read the book, along with Dick Winters war memoirs
mneisch
AG
TXAGBQ76, that is awesome. Got some pics of it?

What I wouldnt do for a Luger!
HDeathstar
I read the book in college. '95 It has been awhile. I think the book has him allowing the General keep his side arm.

The book mentioned how orderly the germans surendered and I think he allow the general to keep his side arm showed the recipocated respect.

It has been awhile. Good book. Read it for Americam military history 101.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Which episode of BoB did Tom Hanks appear in as a British officer?
SirGIGalot
AG
A great read

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Band-Brothers-Memoirs-Winters/dp/B000GIW42S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203388809&sr=8-1
BCOBQ98
AG
I'd love to get ahold of my grandfathers .45 and luger but my grandmother still won't give them up and they will probably get lost/sold when she passes. Too bad I'd give them a lifetime home.

Problem is I've been told they were "plugged" after the war. Probably just junk but still...
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Which episode of BoB did Tom Hanks appear in as a British officer?

I believe it was 5, Crossroads..
Cen-Tex
AG
Believe he was a member of the Red Devils

aznaggiegirl07
AG
Sure was...
There's also a sound bite of him in The Last Patrol...
He is the German that was left behind on the shore because he was too far gone...

I'm a little obsessed with the show
Rabid Cougar
AG
"Did he or did he not" is the question. Did Speirs shoot the prisoners?
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Malarkey said he did...

Malarkey was there, too
ja86
AG
not like it happened in the show but it appears that his Dog company platoon did not take prisoners...
and he did shoot a Sergeant in his platoon.

Speirs Controversies
Rabid Cougar
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Sure was...
He is the German that was left behind on the shore because he was too far gone...

His son was the butter bar in the "Last Patrol".

And how in the hell did Jimmy Fallon get a part in the movie? I watch it and its like some of the skits that he puts on the "Late Show" were they insert him into famous movies.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

aznaggiegirl07 said:

Sure was...

And how in the hell did Jimmy Fallon get a part in the movie? I watch it and its like some of the skits that he puts on the "Late Show" were they insert him into famous movies.

Yeah, I knew that...

Fallon got a part in the show because he happened to on a plane with Hanks and they talked and such
GasAg90
I have met John Martin a couple of times and saw him in April and he remembered who I was. Pretty cool guy and fairly spry.
dcbowers
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

aznaggiegirl07 said:

Sure was...

Yeah, I knew that...

Fallon got a part in the show because he happened to on a plane with Hanks and they talked and such

I didn't believe you. I was wrong.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JABQ04
AG
When I was sophomore at A&M there was a WWII conference at the Bush library. Various speakers and such. I got to hear GHW Bush speak of his time as a naval aviator, and other local vets describe their experiences. Also key note was Stephen Ambrose. That man gave a heck of a speech and as a plus I shook his hand after and got a copy of BoB autographed by him. Also that same year is when BoB came out (2001) and the entire Corps viewed Episode 2: Day of Days in Rudder on the big screen. WOW. When my uniform stipend came in Butt year, I bought my boots and BoB on DVD for like $95. Like 10 of us watched that one episode a night in my dorm room.
Rabid Cougar
AG
The whole movie is just good. The actors were well trained in combat arms and it showed. Nothing clunky about it.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Had a hard time getting past Ross Geller being in it. I have always hated him for what he did to my dear Rachel. He was actually pretty good and fit the part well.

aznaggiegirl07
AG
Yeah, that is weird...

He was probably the biggest name that got signed at that time
dcbowers
AG
What is weirder, Ted Danson in Saving Private Ryan or David Schwimmer in Band of Brothers ?

Ted Dansen:

David Schwimmer:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rabid Cougar
AG
I had read that the actors were cast according to their likeness to the person they portrayed.
Almost all of the main actors were Brits.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Ted Dansen was too freaking old to be cast in that part as a field grade paratroop officer. Most of them were in the late 20's to mid to late 30's.
Gen. Maxwell Taylor was only 43 when he jumped into Normandy.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Youtube "Ross Owen Band of brothers" and you can hear interviews from cast and stuff...from around 2010/2011...

They're all pretty interesting...
ABATTBQ87
AG
I thought David Schwimmer did a great job in the role of Capt Sobel
gigemhilo
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

I thought David Schwimmer did a great job in the role of Capt Sobel

I agree - I thought he did a great job of making you hate him and feel sorry for him at the same time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.