Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2024 Dryuary

28,199 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bigtruckguy3500
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And here we are. Great work all, especially Hoosegow and Georgia.

I'm going to stretch it out a bit, I think. I started eating badly again in the last week, so I want to push for a full level set.
Hoosegow
Thanks Scriff. Working on week 5 (Tuesday). I will report in on Monday if I made it through Mardi Gras weekend dry. If anyone is in Bandera, we are the ones handing out beer to the parade floats. Stop by and grab one. Hoperfully there will be extra this year with me being dry (I hope).
txaggie_08
AG
Yep, made it through! I'm leaning towards extending it until Valentine's Day. We'll see.
Snake Jazz
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Yep, made it through! I'm leaning towards extending it until Valentine's Day. We'll see.
I'm thinking the same. At least through Valentine's Day...maybe the month. We'll see.
bigtruckguy3500
Great job everyone that made it this far. Try to keep it going. An extra week, an extra month...keep reaping the benefits.
Matsui
AG
Great work everyone !
aggiejim70
AG
33 consecutive Dry Januarys on the books.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Todd 02
AG
Great job everyone!

I'm also extending for the foreseeable future.
Pirate04
AG
Long travel day means mimosas, so I'm celebrating the end of dry January.

But I'm definitely cutting back on drinking for the long term.
RockOn
Haven't had any alcohol since November 2022. Went to a bar with some friends after a group bike ride and didn't have any urge to drink.
lazuras_dc
AG
Made it. Will have Margs at a new mexican restaurant Friday night to celebrate
MROD92
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Great job everyone that made it this far. Try to keep it going. An extra week, an extra month...keep reaping the benefits.

That's where I'm at too
wessimo
AG
Was going to have a marg today but decided to keep it going
GeorgiAg
AG
36 days. Still going! DryUARY. February is Dryuary too.
LondonAg89
AG
I made it! I'm going at least through Easter for me!

Great job everyone!
GeorgiAg
AG
I think all of the health and fitness board is just a lesson in delayed gratification. A drink or two (and then 10 in my case) takes the edge off and is immediate gratification, but it pales in comparison to waking up the next day after a great sleep, hydrated and with a clear head.

Sitting on the couch watching Netflix is instant gratification, but lifting or running several miles makes you feel accomplished afterwards and the next week/month when you step on the scale or look in the mirror. Natural endorphins from pushing yourself to the limit are a great drug, but there is a lot of pain on the front end.

But it's all delayed gratification and hard for me to get it through my monkey brain.

P.U.T.U
AG
Read an article that more companies are actually looking at what physical activities people do outside of work and what kind of shape they are in. Lots of HR departments have found that people that are in shape or have a dedicated hobby tend to have more delayed gratification and do things the right way the first time.

I actually have to give a presentation at our next sales meeting about delayed gratification, in our business there are some projects that will take years before they finally come to fruition.
GeorgiAg
AG
I put yellow stickies on one of my work monitor sometimes. Most are work stuff like phone numbers of someone I need to call but some are personal messages. The one I put up this week is "POD AOR." (I don't want the actual words because my secretary and others might see it and think I'm weird.)

It comes from: You Must Choose: the Pain of Discipline or the Agony of Regret

Also have "12/27/23" - the last day I had a drink. Or maybe that's the first day I didn't drink. I can't remember.
CC09LawAg
I was thinking about this exact concept and trying to think of an easy way to explain it to my kids.

What I arrived at was that you can ask yourself "What am I capable of?" now or "What was I capable of?" later.

I don't want to look back and wonder what I could've done or have any regrets. Whether that is with my health, fitness goals, life, work, relationships, etc. I think one day when I'm (hopefully) an old man, one thing that would bother me the most is unfulfilled potential.
Todd 02
AG
When Nick Saban recently retired, Twitter was filled with lots of "Saban-isms" from over the years. Love him or hate him, Saban is all about GREATNESS!

One Saban-ism that resonated with me was what he calls the "Capability Gap".

Quote:

I think that we often times talk about what someone's potential is, but I think to put it in better terms that is understandable is the capability gap. The capability gap is what you're capable of, relative to what you are doing. People should be aware of that . - Nick Saban
Scriffer
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I put yellow stickies on one of my work monitor sometimes. Most are work stuff like phone numbers of someone I need to call but some are personal messages. The one I put up this week is "POD AOR." (I don't want the actual words because my secretary and others might see it and think I'm weird.)

It comes from: You Must Choose: the Pain of Discipline or the Agony of Regret

Also have "12/27/23" - the last day I had a drink. Or maybe that's the first day I didn't drink. I can't remember.

Good stuff. My monitor sticky read:

"Don't eat crap"
Hoosegow
Got through Mardi Gras - 35 days...
GeorgiAg
AG
40 days!

wessimo
AG

Hoosegow
It is a leap year so...
GeorgiAg
AG
Just want to add. I just tested my BP. 123/83. I don't know if I've ever had a reading that low for as long as i can remember.

In December I had readings as high as 160/110.
Todd 02
AG
Alcohol and the associated extra weight has a HUGE impact on my blood pressure also.

I'm not a huge believer in traditional medicine's obsession with blood pressure. I think it's just a ploy to sell pharmaceuticals that treat a symptom of otherwise unhealthy living.

That said, I can tell a huge difference in my BP numbers when I'm living healthy versus when I'm not, so there's prolly something to keeping it near "normal".

Great job! Keep up the good work!
Cyp0111
I think a lot of it comes down to metabolic health or lack there of for a large portion of the population.
Apache
AG
Was dry from 12:01 AM January 1 until last Saturday night & wooo-boy did I tie one on.
Was in Aggieland for the first time in forever, so I guess I just got fired up & pretended I was in my 20's.
Subconsciously I think I tried to drink all the bourbon I missed out on.

Got the mother of all hangovers & am now going dry the rest of February I think. Maybe another month & I'll learn my lesson.
hph6203
AG
Thank you to all of you who wished me well earlier in the thread. I had my MRI last week, CT scan yesterday. Doctors were confident that I had a T2 tumor at minimum and would need to go through months of intravenous chemo and radiation, but MRI revealed a smaller tumor than expected (T1) and no metastasis to lymph nodes or other organs.

Right now treatment is either oral chemo (rather than intravenous) and radiation for 5 weeks or straight to surgery to remove the little *******. Best I could have hoped for post colonoscopy and grateful for that.

Day 93.
GeorgiAg
AG
Great news. BTHO cancer.
GeorgiAg
AG
Anyone still here?

47 days
20 pounds down

Bigfootisreal
Went off the wagon but getting back on. Just don't sleep worth a darn when I have even 1-2 drinks.
LondonAg89
AG
Still going! Also 20 lbs down!
Scriffer
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

Went off the wagon but getting back on. Just don't sleep worth a darn when I have even 1-2 drinks.

Yep I experimented with one beer Friday night and one smallish whiskey last night.

Just felt crummy each morning. I think I'm just too old for it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.