Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2024 Dryuary

28,189 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by bigtruckguy3500
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are still in. Completed our annual health screening on Friday. With the arctic blast this weekend and our three kids home for a 4-day weekend, it's sure been tempting to have a few drinks.
wessimo
AG
Wanted a couple beers yesterday, went out and bought a 6pk of Athletic which did the trick
Geriatric Punk
AG
Having beers for the Cowboys game. Back on the wagon tomorrow. Xoxo
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
option short side
AG
Hoosegow said:

2 days down. My DTs are not that bad, but they get worse after every long term binge. The anxiety on this one was rough. Still get bouts of it. Insomnia came last night, but I don't know if it was more work or more from quitting. Very well could be a combination of both.

Up until this morning, the desire was to lesson the effects of quitting. Back to craving it.

Trust me, your insomia had nothing to do with work
RustyBoltz
AG
wessimo said:

Wanted a couple beers yesterday, went out and bought a 6pk of Athletic which did the trick
The increase in quantity and quality NA offerings has really made reducing alcohol consumption easier. We keep a variety of Athletic on hand but have branched out to some of the NA beers from the craft brewers. Community NADA, Sam Adams Just the HAZE and Guinness 0 have become staples now in our beer fridge.
IslandAg76
AG
I guess I'm in, half a month down so far
P.U.T.U
AG
During the first few weeks insomnia will come and go, melatonin can help you get to sleep and something like the below can help you stay asleep longer.

Non-melatonin sleep aid
Hoosegow
2 weeks today. It would of been a great weekend to kill a bottle or two...

Worked out Friday afternoon. Went to Bandera first thing in the morning on Saturday. Winterized the house a bit. Put in some shelves in the smoke house. Did some other repairs. Ate and came home. Hung around the house and then went for a ride. New Braunfels, Lake McQueeny, La Vernia, Seguin, back to New Braufels. Day went by pretty good.

Sunday was a little harder. It was really too cold to do much. Did some research on our up coming trip. Watched the Cowboy sI-I it the bed.

So far I am filling up my time so that I don't think about it.

Hopefully this time is different.
Pirate04
AG
In New Jersey. Weather grounded all flights tonight (I'm in a flight school building time to transition from military to airlines). Perfect night to cuddle up in some blankets and drink a bottle of red. But I gotta keep holding out, we're over halfway there yall!
Apache
AG
Quote:

It would of been a great weekend to kill a bottle or two...

AGREED!!! That & working 100% from home today & yesterday, temps in the teens and 20's. Had a fire going and football on the tube. Prime whiskey weather if there ever was.

I held firm to my conviction for this to be the first dry month I've likely had since I was in my teens. We can do it!

Matsui
AG
Still in!
wessimo
AG
Halfway!
Owen Kellogg
AG
Still in and feeling good. But I'm not losing any weight!
GeorgiAg
AG

3 Weeks today!

According to App:

$630 saved
25,000 calories avoided

I'm down 11 pounds.
Wearing a new suit to work I couldn't fit into 3 weeks ago.
Consistent cardio in the morning, not waking up tired and dehydrated
Great sleep
No more late night buzzed snacking

Keep it going!

Scriffer
AG
I'm still in, but work is a nightmare right now. Between that and staying inside with the cold, I've been eating like crap.

Need to right this ship
LondonAg89
AG
GeorgiAg said:

3 Weeks today!

According to App:

$630 saved
25,000 calories avoided

I'm down 11 pounds.
Wearing a new suit to work I couldn't fit into 3 weeks ago.
Consistent cardio in the morning, not waking up tired and dehydrated
Great sleep
No more late night buzzed snacking

Keep it going!

This is inspiring!
GeorgiAg
AG
Scriffer said:

I'm still in, but work is a nightmare right now. Between that and staying inside with the cold, I've been eating like crap.

Need to right this ship

Sunday night meal prep has been working great for me. 3 lbs ground turkey/beef, two cans Rotel spicy tomatoes, a dollop or two of queso cheese, five Tupperware containers for each workday lunch.

Morning - coffee only
Noon - Nuke and eat meal prep maybe a few pork rinds for "nachos"
6-8 pm- some kind of meat and veggies, no snacking except for a few pork rinds or a piece or two of beef jerky.

I have a Soda Stream, so I make soda water, ice and lime and pretend it's a vodka soda with lime at "cocktail hour." No demon alkeehawl.
Matsui
AG
excellent!
CC09LawAg
Probably not helpful to you in Georgia, but the Prasek's products at HEB have been great for a quick snack/protein fix.

Depending on which one you get, you're looking at anywhere from 45g to 70g of protein and they're pretty low fat.
GeorgiAg
AG
No, but looks like they have an online store. Cool, that looks awesome.

There is similar, but not as good, place down in Albany, GA called SaltLick that I always stop at if I'm in the area. Awesome beef jerky. I still have to order online most of the time because that's a long way away.
1997aggies
AG
I'm out..
IslandAg76
AG
So, start again tomorrow

30 out of 31 is a damn good batting average or quarterback rating!
GeorgiAg
AG
23 days. One thing I've noticed is my GF, who is back to drinking a few drinks, gets kinda stinky/short with her kids late at night. Before I was sauced and didn't notice or care or was already snoozing.

I miss the initial buzz/relief of that first drink at happy hour. But the trade off for feeling like ass the next day is not worth it.

And the calories and $$$. Holy moly!!!!!

CC09LawAg
I never noticed it until I stopped for awhile, but I am a much better parent in every single way without alcohol. It definitely contributed to less patience, quicker to anger, too lethargic to want to play with my kids as much, etc.
GeorgiAg
AG
Her kids deserve it most of the time. And after a full day of work and dealing with teenage crap all day, I get it. But after a certain hour, her post-teen daughter will come out and be uncharacteristically nice every now and then and still gets snapped at. She's not like that when she doesn't drink at all.

She's been better since I started dry January, but we've both been enablers of each other's bad habits with alcohol. Me being the sober one has definitely thrown her for a loop.
CC09LawAg
I don't think we really realize it as much until we're out of the fog that consistent drinking brings, but the kids notice the difference in your behavior when you are drinking vs when you are not and I think it can cause them to change their behavior/act out in certain ways. They are pretty smart/intuitive and sense when the switch is flipped.
Hoosegow
Still dry. Work has fugged me up this week. One of the most frustrating weeks. I got so ticked off at HR two days ago that after 13 years tobacco free, I picked up a can of Skoal and am dipping again - just like I never quit.

Love having an addictive personality... I'm sure that contributed to my lifting to a point that was detrimental to my body.

The dipping has taken the edge off the last couple of days.
GeorgiAg
AG
Hoosegow said:

Still dry. Work has fugged me up this week. One of the most frustrating weeks. I got so ticked off at HR two days ago that after 13 years tobacco free, I picked up a can of Skoal and am dipping again - just like I never quit.

Love having an addictive personality... I'm sure that contributed to my lifting to a point that was detrimental to my body.

The dipping has taken the edge off the last couple of days.
I'm addicted to nicotine gum now. GF used it to quit smoking but still uses the gum. Since it's always around, I've been using it occasionally for no reason, but with not drinking, it's now my guilty pleasure.

I won't go back to smoking cigs ever (hated it even when I was doing it), but man I miss Copenhagen. I got a growth removed from my lip back at A&M, so I don't need to go back to that. I was so addicted, it'd be the first thing I did in the morning. I drank coffee with a dip in. I don't know of any study that says nicotine gum is harmful and don't tell me -- I need this for now.

As far as addictive personality goes, about 10 years ago, I got addicted to endorphins. Running a 5k was a rest day. I was doing 10 miles or a half or biking 50+ miles on the weekends. I need to get back to that addiction.

We have a bottle of THC delta 8 gummies. If we have a very bad social setting with alcohol I have to go to, I'll take a half gummy to take the edge off. It's worked so far. THC has never been my thing, so I don't think I'm in any danger of getting hooked on that. I have no desire to take them otherwise.
wessimo
AG
Drinking a NA Guinness - pretty good replacement for the real thing.
Scriffer
AG
Made it through year end without cracking. Plus the third weekend is always toughest for me because I think I've proven it easy. So now it really does become active choices.

Waking up at 5:45 on a Saturday and feeling fantastic makes it easier though
ktownag08
AG
Holding strong!

I was nervous about this past week as had a big business dinner where the alcohol tends to flow freely. To my surprise, about half the table was doing Dryuary amongst a wide age range of individuals and became a topic of conversation! Nobody was shamed for drinking or not, and we're a group that talks a lot of crap.

I even had a colleague come up to me the day after, that did drink the night before, and say he didn't think others would do it. He decided he'd be taking the next month off.

Just passing along might be helpful to others worried about situations like above.
LondonAg89
AG
Went to el tiempo last night with a group, where margaritas were plentiful, but Topo Chico was my friend! Thinking about continuing into February!
Cyp0111
I kind of fell into not drinking this way. Had a few slight health things but decided to stop drinking for a few months, enjoyed how much better I felt and almost at 8 months right now. I've had maybe 3 glasses of wine in this time so not full on but the improvement across every facet of my health has been considerable
GeorgiAg
AG
26 days
$780 saved
31,200 calories avoided

Down 13 lbs
Cardio 5+ days a week
Started lifting heavy again Sunday. Following Stonglifts 5X5 app for now.
Cyp0111
Great job and glad you're getting healthy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.