Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

ICL vs Lasik vs PRK

1,368 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DallasTeleAg
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone here have any experience with ICL? I apparently have Superior Steepening of the cornea, which doesn't make me a candidate for Lasik or PRK because it has changed so much in the last year. After going over this issue at the Lasik center, the counselor brought up ICL as an alternative for the people in my situation.

This is the first I've heard of ICL, and it sounds like the only drawback is simply the cost of the surgery versus Lasik or PRK.

Was curious if anyone here has either had ICL, knows someone that has, or is a doctor who has performed the surgery itself. Doing my research to see if it's the right option for me.
P.U.T.U
AG
I had LASIK and my ex-wife had ICL since her eyesight was so bad. I think that was 15 years ago. Recovery was almost immediate unlike mine where I needed to sleep the night for my vision to get to normal. The other benefit is she can new lenses if she decided, right now after 15 years she does need glasses to drive at night and if you have big pupils you may get halos at night
DallasTeleAg
Thanks for sharing. From what i was told, ICL only really started in the States about 20 years ago, so she must have gotten it early on.

Any other complications or issues?
dave99ag
AG
Following... I'm extremely farsighted and have never been a Lasik candidate. Lens replacement has been my only option. The multifocal lenses keep getting better.

Would love to hear from someone that's had the procedure done recently.
DallasTeleAg
ICL is not a lens replacement surgery. It is for nearsighted people and not a solution for farsighted.

Here is what ICL is:

Bert315
AG
Had the ICL with Dr Whitsett in Houston. I had terrible vision and ended up going from blind to 20:15 in both eyes. One warning I have is I do a lot of shooting sports and one day was not wearing eye protection all the way to my cheeks. The concussion of the shotgun cause the lens to flip in my eye and ended up having to get basically cataract surgery. Overall I have no regrets as I still see 20:15 out of my left eye and it's been 10 years.
DallasTeleAg
Thanks for sharing; that's the kind of thing I'm curious about. External pressure or something causing issues. That's crazy how it flipped like that. Did you go back and have them fix it and remove the cataract?
rabbott20
AG
As someone who has co-managed a lot of ICL patients, that is pretty rare. Probably didn't have enough vault between the ICL and the natural lens and the motion caused the two to touch and induced an anterior cortical cataract. Although possible and unfortunate, pretty unlikely for something like that to happen. Would just want to make sure in the post ops that there is adequate vault.
rabbott20
AG
Not made for hyperopic correction at the moment. Maybe in the future though.
rabbott20
AG
For what it is worth, out of all my LASIK/LASEK/PRK/SMILE/ICL patients, my ICL patients are probably the happiest patients. The clarity of vision with ICLs is pretty impeccable. And it is the only surgery which is (pseudo) reversible as the lens can always be taken out in the future if needed.
DallasTeleAg
It's definitely looking like most people really like it, from research I've been doing today. The main downside to it versus the others looks to be just cost. They are staying it's about $3,995 per eye, but offer 24-month financing at 0% interest. From looking online for bit, that seems to be on the lower side of the average for the surgery, so I'm leaning toward calling them back tomorrow to move forward.
Bert315
AG
rabbott20 said:

As someone who has co-managed a lot of ICL patients, that is pretty rare. Probably didn't have enough vault between the ICL and the natural lens and the motion caused the two to touch and induced an anterior cortical cataract. Although possible and unfortunate, pretty unlikely for something like that to happen. Would just want to make sure in the post ops that there is adequate vault.

You are correct. The lens touched causing the cortical cataract. They removed the ICL and my lens and put a multi focal in which is no where near as good as the eye with the ICL. What happened to me is very rare and I wouldn't take back my decision to have the procedure. Only thing I would do differently is wear better shooting glasses.
P.U.T.U
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Thanks for sharing. From what i was told, ICL only really started in the States about 20 years ago, so she must have gotten it early on.

Any other complications or issues?
Only halos sometimes driving at night
fc2112
Not ICL, but I had interocular lens replacement due to cataracts. Pretty amazing to have worn glasses since age 10 but no longer need them.The surgery was paid for by my insurance since I needed cataract surgery. I just had to pay the upcharge for the fancy lenses.
DallasTeleAg
I decided i'm gonna go ahead with the surgery. Thanks for the info, those who shared!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.