Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Houston running coach to help BQ @ Chevron Houston '24

1,018 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by K Bo
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I ran my first full marathon (Chevron Houston) in 2022 using 80/20 training to a 3:23:25 finishing time. I ran the 2023 Aramco Houston half, also using 80/20 training (with a few setbacks), to a 1:31:34 finishing time. I've now got my sights set on attempting to qualify for Boston at the '24 Chevron Houston Marathon. I'll be 40 in June so the current BQ time is 3:10. The thought of running my 2023 half 2X is frightening but I think with solid training and great weather I can do it. I know it's a ways off but I am thinking I want to employ a coach to help. Any suggestions from the board on a coach in Houston? Thanks!
htxag09
AG
I'd just say that with technology no reason to limit it to a coach in Houston. I've used Pilot in the past and really liked his plan and approach. He's helped other TexAgers BQ (not me lol).
K Bo
AG
Yeah, good point. I've never had a running coach so wasn't sure their actual involvement in the training. I suppose that would be up to me.
BQ04
AG
In. Let us know what you find OP! I'm interested.
K Bo
94chem
Good luck. That sounds like a high, but achievable goal. Since you are in Houston, I will pass along one piece of advice that I got from a 70+ year old multi-marathoner last July. 3 months later, I ran my first sub-6 mile in 25 years, knocked 45 seconds off my 5K, and 2 minutes off my Half in December with 15 mph winds.

What he told me is that whatever interval splits you need to be hitting, you HAVE to hit them. In Houston we don't have any choice but to train to "feel" in the summer. I need to run my mile repeats at 8 minutes, for example, but I end up running them at 9. You get the good mileage, but you don't get speed. Those quads and glutes don't care about your heart and lungs. Those muscles aren't getting the stress they need.

He told me to take that work to the treadmill in the summer. It made a big difference for me. The added bonus is that for distance running, your typical treadmill environment (70F) provides excellent heat acclimatization.

Also, I'm 10 years older than you, so maybe this is just for older runners, but everything above also applied to my hill workouts. The cool thing is that the hills allowed my muscles to get stronger without running a fast pace, which made recovery much better - a little trick for older runners who still want to get fast.

Best of luck! Just find someone who understands the Houston "issues."
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
ptothemo
AG
94chem said:

Those quads and glutes don't care about your heart and lungs. Those muscles aren't getting the stress they need.
This simply is not the case.

Your quads and glutes absolutely care about your heart and lungs, because your heart and lungs are pushing the blood and oxygen that your quads and glutes need to function. The stress on your quads and glutes at a relatively slower pace in heat can be the exact same as at a relatively faster pace and lower temperature. The reason for that is well stated over and over again through the years - heat means your body needs to carry more oxygen to the skin to cool you meaning your muscles get less to work. The result is that the stress on your muscles is higher in the heat. The stress on your muscles coupled with proper recovery is what leads to adaptation. Adaptation leads to results.

The same logic applies to altitude training. You get less oxygen to your muscles due to the lack of oxygen in the air, but you can get the same (or better judging by the fact that you can't turn a corner in Flagstaff without running into an elite runner) stress and adaptation as running at sea level without running the same paces - be it intervals or otherwise.

We are talking in relatively broad strokes here, so there is always going to be room for interpretation and to find parts that are disagreeable. Being said, the prevailing training methods adopted by successful coaches and runners will never say to run your intervals at the same pace regardless of external factors. If you accept any facet of aerobic versus anaerobic training, lactate threshold, or running economy, then the idea that intervals must be run at the same pace (and moreover, manipulating the environment to ensure that the same number can be hit) loses its credibility.

These aren't new or novel thoughts or principles. While they are consistently being tweaked, they have not changed considerably and have been widely accepted for some time now. Anything that goes against them, frankly, should have a disclaimer attached to it.
The Pilot
AG
I'm not in Houston and coach mostly remotely. I only have one runner that's local to me (Denver).

When seeking a coach, talk to them, get a feel for their approach, and see if that jives with you, ultimately you have to trust them, otherwise, why waste your money. Some runners value different things from a coach. I've had runners who really value that back-and-forth discussion, others who don't care to communicate but just want someone to tell them the workouts. I have a runner who is training for their first 100 miler, he texts me probably every 3 days. My first BQ runner probably would send me an email every two months, but he never missed a workout.
94chem
Appreciate the thoughts. Maybe we're talking about degrees (both temperature and effort). Training at 6000 feet or 70 degrees, and backing off a little bit to accommodate for heart rate/effort is one thing. Training at 9000 feet or 80 degrees (with 90% humidity - typical July morning), may require too much backing off.

Also, the elevation is a joy compared to the heat. At 9000 feet, for a long run, I back off to perceived effort level, find whatever the sweet spot for a long run should be (let's say 160 HR), and head off indefinitely at whatever pace that dictates. Running the same goal, roughly at 95 degree real feel, I'll find roughly the same sweet spot for pace and HR. Everything seems about the same, except the elevation run will keep going for 10+ miles, but the heat run will be over after 6 miles because of water loss and exposure. I'm probably "blessed" with being an efficient sweat-producer too I suspect that even fantastic runners like yourself, Pilot, or K-Bo even begin to fall off the curve for performance predictability right at the edge of typical Houston mornings. That is, right around 90F real feel, God determines whether you crater, excel, or somewhere in between.

Anyway, there were so many stinking days like that around here; I had to use indoor speed work in the summer so I could run faster in the fall.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
I also wonder about the effects of 20 years of extreme fast twitch sports (A-level racquetball player), with a game built on speed/acceleration. It's been interesting to say the least to take up distance running in my late 40's.
94chem,
K Bo
AG
Cardiac drift is no joke in Houston heat. Without looking at the numbers to determine how much slower my zone 2 pace is in 90F vs 40F I can tell you it's a drastic difference but the RPE from my heart and limbs are relatively similar. When training with 80/20 / Zone 2 method I have always come out of the hot season considerably faster than I went in.

Previously, I have trained in Zone 2 with the goal of getting the result I deserve based on the effort I put in. That said, my marathon goal was sub 3:30 and half goal was sub 1:30 and on both occasions I was able to Zone 2 train my way there, or damn close. I am not too sure, however, about training to pace and that's where I think I require some outside assistance, plus I like the accountability of a coach. I employ a nutrition coach for the same reason.

Thanks for the responses, I enjoy [reading] the discussion.
ptothemo
AG
I realize that equivalency calculations aren't always perfect given they don't take a number of factors into account, but your 1:31 half in January roughly translates to a 3:11 full in the same weather conditions. Given that, BQing a year from now is absolutely on the table.

Just one man's opinion, but the progression from a 3:23 full in 2022 to a 1:31 half in 2023, especially considering the weather on the respective race days, is also clearly a sign of the BQ being on the table for you. Mile 20 through 26 next January will be the real test, but that's what you have the next year for.

I realize that this doesn't answer your original question about coaching, but hopefully it does provide a bit of encouragement that you are very well on your way already.
K Bo
AG
I was thinking (and hoping) that was the case. Appreciate your chiming in!
94chem
I would guess that if you didn't bonk on miles 20-26 in the past, you won't when you run faster either. For me, that would mean running the last quarter within 5 minutes of the 3rd one. One nice thing about chasing 4 hours is that the math is easy for the 6.55 mile segments.
94chem,
txcincinnatus
AG
https://thirdcoasttraining.com/
Sooner Born
I'll second the Pilot recommendation. I went from 3:32 to a 3:03 BQ and eventually a 2:54 with his help (all remote).

Fair warning, the 3:03 BQ took about 18 months. I dealt with some injuries along the way but getting into BQ shape isn't for the faint of heart.
K Bo
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.