Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Call of a Lifetime - MTB/Gravel limited series

2,570 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by SteveA
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been looking forward to this for a long time. Anyone else watching? Its only 6 episodes, and I'm not finished yet, but its very well done.

For those who don't know, this is a docu-series about the LifeTime Grand Prix, which is 6 events. Three mountain bike, and three gravel races. It follows both the men's and women's races of the 6 episodes. It does a pretty good job of showing what these races are like for the pros and what the course actually consist of.

The races are:

Sea Otter Classic (mtb)
Unbound Gravel
Crusher in the Tusher (gravel)
Leadvilee (mtb)
Chequamegon (mtb)
Big Sugar Gravel

The first episode was a bit tough to watch when Moriah Wilson was shown, but I'm glad they didn't gloss over.

here's a link to the first episode and you can follow the links to subsequent episodes:

Ragoo
AG
Awesome. Needed something to watch while Zwifting.

Looks like something VC would tackle as a project.

Another note: have you seen clips of VC and Jeremiah Bishop in Yellowstone doing an Impossible Route?
AggieOO
i haven't gotten back to watching many of the Impossible Routes. Have them queued up, but haven't been doing a whole lot where i've had a chance to watch a lot of youtube stuff. After i get through Black Canyons 100k, i want to do some more riding, which means some time on the trainer during the week. that's when I'll probably get back that stuff. Also, need to sell a couple bikes so i can convince the wife I need a gravel bike. I have a couple routes out in big bend that I want to ride. A gravel bike would be perfect since the routes are mix of pavement and gravel/dirt roads.
Ragoo
AG
Need to sell a tri bike?
AggieOO
actually, yes. but its an older bike. its an 04 cervelo P3. 54 or 55, I'd have to double check the size.

i actually love the bike. its gotten me through a lot races, but I just don't use it anymore.
SteveA
AG
3 episodes in now. Pretty great. Kegan Swenson is a beast. I raced the last OZ trails race in Bentonville, and he won the pro race after falling on a wet bridge, breaking his hand, and biting is lip with his teeth tearing through is bottom lip. He looked like **** after getting back from the hospital standing on the podium. Insane what these guys and gals can do.
AggieOO
How was that race? I've heard great things. Big Sugar looks interesting as well.

I really need to take a trip up to Bentonville with my bike(s). We went through last fall on our way back from WI and stayed a night. I was jealous of all the riding.
Ragoo
AG
Two episodes done last night.
AggieOO
i've got 1 episode left.

Hoping they do this again for 2023 races.
CrockerAg98
AG
This is great! thanks for posting.

Just getting back on the bike after knee surgery, and I need something to watch while I'm on the trainer.

The folks that put on the Belgian Waffle Ride have started taking some races on the road in the last few years, so I'm doing the one here in AZ next month. I'll watch these and pretend.

(I'm doing the 35 mile here. Nowhere near ready for a 75 or 130 yet)
AggieOO
what part of AZ are you in? my wife's sister is in Prescott. I'd love to do Whiskey Basin Off-Road, but we'll be out there in a couple weeks to run Black Canyons 100K/60K, so a return trip won't happen that "fast." We were just out there at thanksgiving too.
CrockerAg98
AG
I'm in the East valley (Gilbert).

Whiskey Off-road looks amazing, and it may be in the cards for next year. I'd also like to try the Chino Grinder this fall, which is up in that Prescott vicinity.

The state is 98% dirt. Plenty of mountain and gravel out there to ride!

Chino Grinder
AggieOO
When we were out there a few years ago for my wife's sister's wedding in Apache Junction, we stayed right by The Islands.
Hoosegow
OO says watch something... im gonna watch it
AggieOO
Listened to Payson McElveen's podcast with the director of this series on my run today. They are absolutely doing a season 2.
AggieOO
S2 trailer up

MouthBQ98
AG
I feel better watching the pros crash I washouts like I do.
Ragoo
AG
Keegan Swanson is a freaking beast
TexasAggies06
AG
Has anyone else watched season 2 yet? I just finished it this week, thought it was another great season. Feels like they upped the production value a bit compared to the first season. I am very new to gravel riding (coming from a road background), but I signed up for Big Sugar a couple of weeks ago, so this has been getting me pretty pumped for that.
AggieOO
i keep meaning to watch, but haven't gotten around to it. Good to hear positive things. I'll get to it soon-ish.
Ragoo
AG
Rattlesnake is this weekend in swee****er.
TexasAggies06
AG
Yeah, I wish I could go but I can't get out there this weekend, unfortunately.
bjork
Is this our official MTB/Gravel thread now?

I'm deep into both in the past year and largely left road behind!
NoHo Hank
AG
I'm game! Anyone got any cool spots they're planning on hitting this summer? After the snapped collarbone last year my enthusiasm tempered a bit but a non biking trip to Bentonville with a couple rides snuck in was super awesome. I think this year I'll definitely try to make snowshoe in WV.
RangerRick9211
AG
I now have a trail and XC bike.

Just finished the XC build and stoked: fully wireless with GX and Reverb dropper on a Transition Spur.

Oregon Gravel Grinder starts in a month.

5 year old is learning her MTB. She loves Bend, so we'll spend some time on Phil's and Maston this summer.

We have a van conversion delivering in May. Lots of plans for my local hills: Sandy Ridge/Post Canyon/Rocky Point; and some destinations: Bellingham, V-Island, Prince George BC, Whistler, etc.
NoHo Hank
AG
Van conversion should be awesome. My daughter turns 4 in April and this year I'm gonna get her off her strider and onto a peddle bike. Still a few years away from shredding, but when she rides on my shotgun seat, she's an adrenaline junky so in a few years gotta think she'll be doing things that I'm too big a chicken to consider.

I have a big customer located in Bellevue and would love to fly my mom out to Cleveland to watch the kids for a weekend and then fly out there with my wife and hit some of the PNW spots. Would be amazing to hit Whistler this year.

You bring up a good point though, let's talk about new bike day! I kinda want a gravel bike for the crappier months to log some miles, but I've also had my current trail bike for 4 years and have an itch to get something with more travel than 130/120 like something in the 150-160 range. I just gotta work on budget with my wife, who currently has it set for NBD at $0.00.
AggieOO
here's a throwback to the first ever leadville race in '94. First half is MTB, second is the run.

SteveA
AG
Season 2 isn't as good as 1, but still lots of fun. I just got back from the Ouachita Challenge last weekend. Good Trip. I'm signed up for Little Sugar in October. Should be a blast. Similar to the OZ races they had before, 60ish mile MTB race. A group of us did the Rule of Three last year. That was a super fun day on the bike as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.