Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cardiac ablation for A-fib

1,413 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by swampstander
swampstander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was diagnosed with paroxysmal (intermittent) A-fib last summer. I had probably 20 events over a 5 week period and then it stopped as quickly as it started. I had no issues through the fall but they started back in early January with 4 or 5 arrhythmia events since then. The cardiologist recommended ablation and I am going in for that procedure next Friday. I have done a deep dive on the actual procedure involved so I am pretty familiar with what is going to happen the day it is scheduled. I am wondering if anyone has personal stories about themselves or close family or friends. I am interested recovery time and long term success of the procedure etc...
Jerzzy
Some of this is dependant on the hospital you are having the procedure and the physician performing it.

Overall it's an outpatient procedure and most likely will be discharged same day. Depending on how they close your groin sites you will either have to lie flat for 4 hours or you can be up and about fairly quickly if they use a closure device.

If you are getting this done pretty early on in your A-fib journey the better your outcome, paroxysmal afib has better ablation outcomes than persistent.

What can you do to help? Well if you are overweight or obese, you need to drop weight. The LEGACY trial showed the best outcomes with ablation + weight loss.
rilloaggie
AG
I know almost nothing about the procedure but my aunt had one done yesterday. She checked into the hospital at 5:00am and was out that afternoon. Ate dinner with her tonight and she didn't seem any worse for the wear. She chased around my 18 month old at the park and didn't have any trouble following him around. I believe she's 64 and in decent shape for someone that age.
DeepintheHeart06
AG
No strenuous activity or lifting anything over 10 lbs for 4-5 days to let the groin sites heal. After that no restrictions.

Effectiveness or 'success' rates are dependent on a number of individual factors, but in general the earlier you are addressing this the better. Good luck!
swampstander
AG
Thanks guys. That's the info I am looking for. I'm 64, not obese but bmi is about 27 so I could afford to lose a few.
IslandAg76
AG
I've had three ablations over the past 25 years or so for atrial flutter and fib.
Above comments are good. You may have some cough afterwards. You also may have some periods of fibrillation post procedure as the inflammation resolves. There are more severe possible side effects/complications but don't think they are common and you have probably read about them in your research.
Good luck
swampstander
AG
rilloaggie said:

I know almost nothing about the procedure but my aunt had one done yesterday. She checked into the hospital at 5:00am and was out that afternoon. Ate dinner with her tonight and she didn't seem any worse for the wear. She chased around my 18 month old at the park and didn't have any trouble following him around. I believe she's 64 and in decent shape for someone that age.
Kudos to rilloaggie's aunt. I had my surgery Friday and spent most of yesterday in bed. I'm not ready to chase my 2yr old grand daughter around yet. Maybe tomorrow...
OasisMan
AG
Have you had a sleep study?

Also, look into the Watchman procedure (if you want to potentially get off anticoagulation)
swampstander
AG
OasisMan said:

Have you had a sleep study?

Also, look into the Watchman procedure (if you want to potentially get off anticoagulation)
Please explain why you think I need a sleep study.

And yes, I prefer to not take prescription drugs as much as possible. Cardiologist says I might need to be on anticoagulants full time when I turn 65 which is in 11 months. Will look into watchman procedure.
IslandAg76
AG
I'm not on anti coagulants, only baby aspirin and may end that in a few months
swampstander
AG
IslandAg76 said:

I'm not on anti coagulants, only baby aspirin and may end that in a few months
I think I read somewhere that aspirin is contraindicated for A-fib and if I remember correctly the first cardiologist I talked to this past summer (in Maine) told me that as well.
IslandAg76
AG
well, my "super star", Houston Methodist cardiac, electro-physiologist said take it....so, I am.
IslandAg76
AG
Maybe it's because after the ablation I no longer have A-fib
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Had an ablation several years ago. No more afib.
swampstander
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Maybe it's because after the ablation I no longer have A-fib
Fingers crossed I end up this way as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.