Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Looking for opinions on a US road marathon

1,887 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 94chem
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a marathon in the second half of the year. Small-ish field (I don't want a huge city marathon) with a fast course. Willing to travel. A good after party wouldn't hurt. This may be my last road marathon, so I want it to be a good one.
The Pilot
AG
Hartford CT. My first sub 3. I think it's relatively small.
zachsccr
AG
Never run it, but the Marathon to Marathon sounds like it fits the bill. Small, net downhill, unique environment and race.
AggieOO
zachsccr said:

Never run it, but the Marathon to Marathon sounds like it fits the bill. Small, net downhill, unique environment and race.

This. Except I've run it.
AgCanuck07
AG
Colorado Marathon (Fort Collins) - Fast course with great scenery that ends with an after party in the craft beer capital of Colorado. Fort Collins is a really great town (we recently moved here). The race is in May.

I'm actually going to be running it in 2023. I've heard lots of positive feedback from locals here on the race.
wbt5845
AG
A lot of elite runner run the California International Marathon in December to try and hit their Olympic Trial qualifying times. First Sunday in December in Sacramento, CA.

Gradual downhill point to point. Had about 10,000 this year, so may be bigger than what you're looking for.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

zachsccr said:

This. Except I've run it.
How bad is the hill around mile 22?

I looked at the Mountains to Beach marathon in Ventura, CA, but it had some pretty terrible reviews for organization. I also looked at the St. George Marathon in Utah, but it doesn't seem like there's much going on there except the race.

I already have a trail race I kind of want to do in December, so I wasn't really considering CIM.

The size of the BCS Marathon was good for me.
94chem
Texas Marathon every year on 1/1.

Pros: BQ
Flat and fast
Very small

Cons: 4 loops
Paved greenbelts can be narrow for elite runners
Weather in Houston could be warm
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
bert harbinson
AG
A friend ran the September version of Tunnel Marathon in Washington. It's a fast downhill, I think more smooth trail than road, several hundred finishers, no idea on after party. Summer training in Texas is a big downside.

Just remembered you used to live in Oregon, right? Maybe you've already run it or know people who have.
aggiespartan
AG
bert harbinson said:

A friend ran the September version of Tunnel Marathon in Washington. It's a fast downhill, I think more smooth trail than road, several hundred finishers, no idea on after party. Summer training in Texas is a big downside.

Just remembered you used to live in Oregon, right? Maybe you've already run it or know people who have.
I looked at this one too. I read that if you do it in a rainy year it can be pretty rough. Training through the summer wasn't that bad for me this year.

We did live in Oregon. I was thinking about going back and running the Vernonia Marathon there outside of Portland, but it's a little too early for me in April.
Geriatric Punk
AG
AgCanuck07 said:

Colorado Marathon (Fort Collins) - Fast course with great scenery that ends with an after party in the craft beer capital of Colorado. Fort Collins is a really great town (we recently moved here). The race is in May.

I'm actually going to be running it in 2023. I've heard lots of positive feedback from locals here on the race.
We lived there for a while. Family member ran the race. We had a station set up at the mouth of the Poudre for him and were crushing O'Dell IPAs at the finish line. Did the Horsetooth Half a few times. That was a fun one too. That first 4 miles...woof.
Geriatric Punk
AG
PS - the wife loves Grandma's Marathon in Duluth. Fast course (but there is a little incline at the end).
Big Cat `93
AG
My dad always wanted to run Grandma's in his heyday, and that was in the early/middle 80s. With a race that has been that successful for that long, the organizers must be doing something right.
94chem
AgCanuck07 said:

Fort Collins is at 5000 feet. Whoever says it's faster needs to include a huge caveat about altitude effects on pace. Yes, 5000 feet at 50F is WAY easier than running at sea level in 78 degrees with humidity, but neither is conducive to a PR.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
The Pilot
AG
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm running a marathon in Ft Collins aiming for a PR and I live higher.

Also, Grandmas is probably one of the larger marathons in the US.
AgCanuck07
AG
True on the altitude but it is a downhill race with 15-18% BQs (per the race website)
7yrplan
AG
St. George, utah
coop-aero-06
AG
I ran my marathon PR at Mountains 2 Beach in 2017 and I thought it was awesome. Small-ish field (I think it was between 1000 - 2000 runners) and the weather and course were ideal.
MarathonAg12
aggiespartan said:

Looking for a marathon in the second half of the year. Small-ish field (I don't want a huge city marathon) with a fast course. Willing to travel. A good after party wouldn't hurt. This may be my last road marathon, so I want it to be a good one.
All-American Marathon in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Great support, course and awesome little afterparty on Fort Bragg. Home of the Airborne!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Woodlands Marathon fits the description
94chem
USA Fit looking like absolute trash this weekend. Anybody gonna brave it?
94chem,
SJEAg
AG
I'll be at USA Fit. Usually like this race as the course is fast and I always PR it, don't think that's happening this time.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
2023 BCS Marathon on 12/10/23. I have ran only one full marathon (2022 Austin Marathon), but I ran the BCS Half Marathon 3 times in 2014, 2015, and 2016.
94chem
SJEAg said:

I'll be at USA Fit. Usually like this race as the course is fast and I always PR it, don't think that's happening this time.
Seeing 68 degrees with a 100% chance of thunderstorms at 9 a.m. First mission - don't die out there.
94chem,
SJEAg
AG
Oof...maybe mid 60s even at 6:30a. At that temp, I would probably appreciate some rain.

Run this race like 4x and its always been perfect weather - guess I was due.
aggiespartan
AG
I ran it 2022. I'm looking at something that's more net downhill than rolling hills.
AggieOO
net downhill, look at Tuscon. Aravaiapa just took over that one in 2022.

I'd suggest Poconos Marathon too, but its not in the second half of the year. I've run it twice. small field size. lots of downhill, but starts and ends with rollers.
SJEAg
AG
94chem said:

SJEAg said:

Seeing 68 degrees with a 100% chance of thunderstorms at 9 a.m. First mission - don't die out there.
Yeah it sucked. Gave up PR dreams at like mile 3. Finished like 12 min over my usual. Would have won my age group with any finish I've done in the past 4 years, but this one was good for 5th. Think everyone out there was struggling for sure.

Oh well. Pretty cool medal.
94chem
Great job! I did 5 miles on my treadmill at marathon pace in the garage (door open). It was supposed to be an easy 8, but it ended up being about 90% effort. Was sweating like an August morning.
94chem,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.