Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Road bike tires getting shredded, Gravel bike as alternative?

1,050 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SteveA
WheelinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been cycling for roughly 10 years, but have always been a yoyo cycler. Meaning train for an event, then stop afterwards. This time I'm sticking with it...

So since May I've done 1200 miles. One set is from last fall when I half ass prepared for a 75 mile ride. They probably had 200 miles on them. I changed them in August with around 900 miles on them. They weren't worn out, but the shell started peeling off. Those were continental Grand Prix 4000's 700x23

Current set probably has ~300 miles. They have two spots where the shell is peeling off. Like a piece of gravel just pulled the shell away from the core. I went up in size looking for more comfort and durability. Continental Grand Prix 5000's in 700x28. This is definitely the largest size tire I can squeeze in before rubbing is an issue.

I primarily ride in my rural neighbor which is rough chip seal. While it's rough, I don't think it's the cause. I think when I head out on Highway 60 and go to Traditions to hit hills, or go to Snook and hit gravel patches on the shoulder is the issue.

I guess the whole point of my post is to justify a gravel bike with some beefier tires. I'd still use the road bike on group rides or events, but it seems like a gravel bike tires would fare better.

Old man yells at clouds? Am I just ranting to myself?
Kool
AG
Username definitely checks out. I purchased a gravel bike a few years ago and I really love it. The only reason I would NOT want to ride my gravel bike is that some of the folks I ride with don't have gravel bikes and I can only keep up with them on my road bike. I have done enough of the same rides on each bike to have a good feel for it, and I am about 1.5 mph slower on the gravel bike on most of the terrain I ride on. As it weighs a few pounds more than my road bike, though, that difference increases in mountainous areas. I feel MUCH safer riding on my 40 mm tubeless tires as compared to my 28s (I ride Conti 5000 GPS on the road bike). Small rocks and potholes in the road don't "freak me out" nearly the same on my gravel bike as on the road bike, and if I am riding somewhere that I am concerned about traffic, I can just pull over a bit onto the side of the road or even off of the road if necessary. Similarly, the gravel bike opens up all kinds of terrain that I cannot ride with the road bike. I'm a fan.

ETA: Have you tried lower tire pressures on your road bike? Considered going to tubeless tires?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mtngoat3006
Just a suggestion but you may want to try some Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite tires. I've been using them on my road bike and they wear pretty darn good on the roads I train/ride on. I believe they have Kevlar belts and I don't normally get the rock cuts/chips/gouges like normal road bike tires. I used to train and ride on Michelin Pro Race 3 tires but they got chewed up real bad from the gravel/rocks on the paved road routes I used to ride. The Specialized Armadillo tires are now my "go to" tires as I've never been disappointed in them.

Good luck in your quest...
WheelinAg
AG
@Kool - thanks for the gravel bike info. I'm 90% sure I'm going this route with just getting another bike. I could care less how fast I'm going as long as I'm getting the fitness. I'll keep the road bike for group rides and organized rides where I'd want to stay on pace or finish faster. Oh and my user name was because I used to do "four wheelin" like rock crawling, etc... Now I'm just no fun.

@mtngoat - I used to use Armadillo tires and gatorskins? Maybe I should go back...
dave99ag
AG
N+1 says get a gravel bike.

I picked up a Lauf Seigla recently to venture into the gravel world. Rides great on the crappy roads we have around here.

Na Zdraví 87
AG
I ride a Specialized Diverge gravel bike and love it. I'm about 2mph slower than my road bike on average but I don't care. I mostly ride rough and bumpy paved county roads with hardly and traffic to deal with so that makes up for it.
Builder93
AG
I'm mostly a mountain biker but I got a cyclocross bike to ride road and gravel with friends. I love the WTB Raddlers set up tubeless on the chip seal and gravel. I haven't had them that long but they grip like crazy when I have to go off road and they are way more comfortable than the old slick tires that were on the bike when I got it. I like to go fast but I don't worry about cutting time. A workout is a workout and I can often keep or surpass guys on road tires. I don't understand running road tires at 90 to 100 psi on chip seal. That seems like a beating.
SteveA
AG
Get some gator skins tires for your roadie. Those are numb proof. Unless you're want Gravel bike.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.