Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Camp Gladiator

2,732 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by nosoupforyou
Aggie521
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone try this? My wife just started and thinking about giving it a shot. Used to do some heavy weightlifting, but looking to be more cardio-focused since turning 40.
AggieOO
you'll have 16 people offering referral codes within an hour.
bam02
AG
Forty something's can lift!
TrimYourMustache
I did Camp Gladiator for a couple years before COVID and really enjoyed it. However, during COVID we moved to a different city, and I tried out that local Camp Gladiator and it was not for me. I realized I enjoyed my first CG so much because I had an awesome coach and really enjoyed my fellow classmates. The workouts were great - don't get me wrong - but I've found the people you're surrounded by really matter to me as well (and I'm 40 y.o. for what it's worth).

In my new town I found a level method type crossfit gym and I love the coach and fellow classmates at a certain time class. It's a different style workout, but again, the people around me are what make it more enjoyable for me.
ryange05
AG
Aggie521 said:

Anyone try this? My wife just started and thinking about giving it a shot. Used to do some heavy weightlifting, but looking to be more cardio-focused since turning 40.

My wife and I got into during covid since all gyms were closed, etc. I like the personal connection you can get from the trainers and the flexibility to do it wherever/whenever. You'll definitely get a workout. Tons of lower body and core work.
JBLHAG03
AG
I did it for a year or so with my wife. She likes the social aspect of it, but like anything, you get what you put in. Half the women have 300+ checkins and it isn't even obvious they work out. Too much high fiving and team/group exercise for me. I prefer working out at the gym with my headphones on.
Matsui
AG
I've been doing it for a few years. I love it.
Motot
AG
My wife has done it for a few years, currently heavily discounted or it wouldn't be worth what they list ($70++/month). They have cut back on time offerings in our area to the point that its not as practical as it used to be for her. They seem to have trouble keeping trainers - won't let them have other jobs, pay CG for changing time slots, etc, so they leave. Second hand info so take it for what its worth. This is in NW Austin, so not exactly out of their area.

She enjoyed it and got good workouts though.
Bob_Ag
AG
I've done it for a year and a half or so. I have two trainers that live on the street so they kind of hustled me into it (in a good way). I only go 2-3x a week because I still like to hit the weights and run. Probably not worth the price for me but its still fun for the most part.

Pros

Community is a great, find the right camp. Made several really good friends and a lot of us work out outside of CG.
There are some really competitive camps if you're looking for that.
No thinking, just show up and do what you're told.
Annual CG Games competition.

Cons

You're not in control of your workout and the bootcamp style workout can get a little redundant (go to multiple trainers)
Some workouts are pretty meh.
I'm not a big fan of the weekly format changes. I think its silly to have an endurance week then not do it again for another 5 weeks. Same for strength week.

There are a lot of campers that have 100s if not over 1,000 check ins and still look the same as the day they joined. This is mostly due to nutrition or they modify all the movements. You get what you put into it.
Bob_Ag
AG
BTW, I'm in the Round Rock area if you're looking for any specific advice on camps around here.
Rule Number 32
AG
My wife did it for a little while and she enjoyed it, but eventually quit. I dont know that she got a whole lot out of it.

For the men who are considering it, let me urge you to look into F3. It is fairly similar, but it is free and peer-led. I've been doing it all year this year and it has been a huge blessing in my life.

I dont have anything against camp gladiator. I think it is good for what it is, but I know a few people who do it religiously and if you didn't know they worked out a few times a week, you definitely wouldn't think it.
Capitol Ag
AG
Bob_Ag said:

I've done it for a year and a half or so. I have two trainers that live on the street so they kind of hustled me into it (in a good way). I only go 2-3x a week because I still like to hit the weights and run. Probably not worth the price for me but its still fun for the most part.

Pros

Community is a great, find the right camp. Made several really good friends and a lot of us work out outside of CG.
There are some really competitive camps if you're looking for that.
No thinking, just show up and do what you're told.
Annual CG Games competition.

Cons

You're not in control of your workout and the bootcamp style workout can get a little redundant (go to multiple trainers)
Some workouts are pretty meh.
I'm not a big fan of the weekly format changes. I think its silly to have an endurance week then not do it again for another 5 weeks. Same for strength week.

There are a lot of campers that have 100s if not over 1,000 check ins and still look the same as the day they joined. This is mostly due to nutrition or they modify all the movements. You get what you put into it.

Agree so much with your cons. I do think you will get healthier with a consistent week to week attendance but it lacks a real program specificity and an ability to actually measure true progress. It's general fitness. And that might be all one needs, don't get me wrong. While I'd rather one take on a specific program with a specific goal, many aren't motivated by that. If this does that (motivates one to keep going), it's perfect. You won't see much body comp changes. That's mostly a combination of diet and progressive overload based weight lifting. But if that isn't your biggest goal, do it. But just remember if weight loss is your goal, you can't make up for a bad diet with training and exercise. A calorie deficit will be a must.
wbt5845
AG
I do it in Arlington. And yeah, if you want a code...

Been doing it for 5 years and have about 1100 check ins. My advice is to try several different trainers to see who you like best before committing to one. Some are better at training guys than others. most CG campers are women.

And yeah the results can be pretty good. I just turned 60 an am prepping for my second HM of the year at the end of October.

Guitarsoup
AG
I had awful experiences with the company. The local trainer was nice, but she didn't stay that long.
Matsui
AG
This is spot on.
PlanoAg98
AG
I've been doing it for about 4 years and have about 700 check ins. This was the only work out that motivated me. I tried 24 hour fitness and building a home gym. I found easy excuses to miss workouts with both of those options. I think the social aspect of it gets me to it each day. I'm not using it to get buff. I'm basically just using it to not become over weight and keep the blood pressure in check.
88planoAg
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I had awful experiences with the company. The local trainer was nice, but she didn't stay that long.
Ditto.

edited to add - it is basically a MLM; their trainers aren't treated well.
strohag
AG
My wife enjoyed it but both of her favorite trainers broke off and started their own boot camp. They don't treat the trainers well at all.
mosdefn14
AG
+1 for F3

And +1 for the nutrition comments. Being in a deficit is more important than check-ins.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

They don't treat the trainers well at all.
They don't pay them well either. Average Camp Gladiator Personal Trainer yearly pay in the United States is approximately $55,401, which is 11% above the national average. The owners must be raking it in. Very little overhead, they pay their trainers peanuts, and have a pretty large customer base.
13B
Just out of curiosity, what area? OP.
wbt5845
AG
Big issue we have in the Midcities is experienced trainers leaving since they can't earn a living wage.

Some are getting side gigs in order to stay with CG, but many taking day jobs.

TexAg2001
AG
My wife and I tried it for 3 months a few summers ago. Like others said, try several trainers/groups around your area since they each have their own "feel". We stopped after 3 months because we attended at least 4 days per week over that timeframe and neither of us felt much a difference fitness wise. I felt in slightly better shape, but the return didn't seem worth the effort. I'm also much more of a "work-out alone" kind of guy, so the group setting was a turn off and oftentimes uncomfortable.

CG offered a pre and post body scan. Neither of us "looked" much different. Weight wise I was exactly the same and my wife gained weight. We were told by the trainer that we had to eat more in order to lose weight. Due to that, we refer to it as "Camp Fatiator" whenever we are asked about it, but that's unfair because it works for a lot of people. It just wasn't for us.
nosoupforyou
AG
CG is good stuff.. I see they seem to have a good community - they bring mats and weights.

If you want men only and free, you should consider checking out F3.

Here's a post with a lot of feedback

Where do you live?

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3196095
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.