Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Hypothyroidism and trying to conceive

604 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXTransplant
Theblondewonder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hypothyroidism is a common disease but should be easily managed with synthroid (levothyroxine). After TTC for a year, my new NP just told me NOT to take a prenatal vitamin at the same time as the levothyroxine. The calcium and iron in the prenatal interferes with the bodies ability to completely absorb the medication. Needless to say I'm frustrated I was not educated on this when my old doctor new I was TTC. Hopefully this is the fix we've been looking for.

A quick google search confirmed that a woman should wait at least 4 hours between the levothyroxine and prenatal vitamin.

Just an FYI to anyone else that may not know this information!

TXTransplant
I've been taking thyroid meds for over a year and a half. It says right on my prescription bottle to not take Ca and Fe within 4 hours of taking the thyroid meds. I was told not to eat for an hour, either. Basically, I wait at least an hour before consuming anything (food or other supplements) after taking my pills.

If your doctor didn't go over this with you, I'd be looking for a new one. It's pretty basic/standard for these meds.
Theblondewonder
AG
Yeah I was well aware not to eat for an hour and I've been following those directions for over a decade. I guess I should have read the 4 pt 20 page pamphlet. I get my rx filled at CVS and it does not say that right on the bottle.

I guess my username checks out!
TXTransplant
That's so interesting…I get mine filled at CVS, too. And it has the Ca/Fe note right on the bottle (unless they've changed something since I last had it filled).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.