Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Pikes Peak Ascent/Marathon Double this Weekend

1,337 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lazuras_dc
MosesHallDeadPot94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Folks,
Just wanted to say I will be doing the Pikes Peak Double this weekend. Have done each race separately. Flying in from Houston Friday morning and will leave 9 PM Sunday after the Marathon. Any words of wisdom/prayers certainly welcome. Even my cousin who lives in Denver and has completed many 14ers thinks I'm crazy (along with the rest of my family). Well - insurance policy is current and if I get exhausted I will just think about our quarterback situation and get mad.

MouthBQ98
AG
One of our gym instructors will be running up there for some altitude training.
rabbott20
AG
As someone who lives in Denver and does a lot of high-altitude hiking, eat more salt than you think you need. I'd also recommend dried ginger snacks to help with acclimatization. If you can get to high elevation before the marathon that would be helpful. Hike (or run I guess) high, sleep low. Best of luck! If you succeed, you are a badass.
The Pilot
AG
You got this. Just keep moving. I did a double a few years back, stay off your feet as much as possible after the half.

I'll be out there cheering my wife and a couple other friends doing the marathon.
Swarely
Good luck! I've done the half, and thought about the full- but, can't even imagine the double!

Also, when did they change the course requirements?
Callate Donnie
Hardcore bad ass. Good luck! Listen to your body. Altitude sickness sucks.
AggieOO
We just did Mt. Whitney this week. We did the ibuprofen regimen to help prevent AMS, but not sure I'd recommend that since you will be running. Don't want to risk the adverse issues.

Can you get Diamox prescribed on short notice?

edit: looks like you are leaving this morning, so diamox is off the table.
The Pilot
AG
Make sure you follow all the outlined rules including the new gear reqs. They definitely will DQ you if not. I initially got Dq'd when I did the double bc I mixed up my corrals and for Sunday lined up in my corral for the Saturday race. After explaining my myself they allowed my screw up.
htxag09
AG
So you can run 39.3 miles, up and down a mountain, in two days but can't read instructions?
Swarely
What are the gear recs?
The Pilot
AG
htxag09 said:

So you can run 39.3 miles, up and down a mountain, in two days but can't read instructions?

Pretty much.
The Pilot
AG
Swarely said:

What are the gear recs?

Don't quote me but something about gloves, windbreaker with hood and maybe a hat?
Swarely
Interesting. I think I had all three the year I did it. If a beanie counts as a hat.
The Pilot
AG
Swarely said:

Interesting. I think I had all three the year I did it. If a beanie counts as a hat.

I wasn't required until this year.
MosesHallDeadPot94
Well - Day 1 is in the books. Beautiful weather but very cold at the top

Matsui
AG
nice work! congrats on the accomplishment
The Pilot
AG
Wife finished in about 6:10. Got a few gig'ems from the crowd while cheering.

Ended up being a little toasty, probably no biggie for the Texas ppl
MosesHallDeadPot94
Finished marathon (double) on Sunday - thanks y'all. Absolutely brutal. Will be calling the organization today as results list me as DNF even though I finished in nine hours and 31 minutes - looks like my bitb did not register at the finish line

wcb
Matsui
AG
haha and a memory!
lazuras_dc
AG
We just did pikes from devils playground and I'm beat. Good on you !

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.