Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

American Alpine Institute Mountaineering Courses

715 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NoHo Hank
uujm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone here gone through any of their programs? Are there any alternatives methods of learning y'all recommend instead for beginners?

https://www.alpineinstitute.com/
AggieinWA
I've taken one of their courses, I think it was the 4-day Intro to Mountaineering class. I live outside of Bellingham, WA, so I'll talk about that.

Edit: just looked at their classes again. It was the 6-day Alpinism 1 class. I guess my itinerary below is a little off.

It involved a day of rock climbing at Mt Erie, 2-days of glacier travel skills and practice on the shoulder of Baker, and an attempt to summit Baker.

Overall a great course. Very knowledgeable instructors and the ratio was something like 4-5:1 client:instructor so I felt like I had enough attention in the small group setting.

However….it's expensive. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to get the skills (find a mentor, join the Mountaineers, read and practice Freedom of the Hills yourself), but the course I took was a great way to learn and practice everything in a controlled setting very quickly.

Let me know if you have specific questions. They run a great shop up there if you're willing to pay for it.
uujm
AggieinWA said:

I've taken one of their courses, I think it was the 4-day Intro to Mountaineering class. I live outside of Bellingham, WA, so I'll talk about that.

Edit: just looked at their classes again. It was the 6-day Alpinism 1 class. I guess my itinerary below is a little off.

It involved a day of rock climbing at Mt Erie, 2-days of glacier travel skills and practice on the shoulder of Baker, and an attempt to summit Baker.

Overall a great course. Very knowledgeable instructors and the ratio was something like 4-5:1 client:instructor so I felt like I had enough attention in the small group setting.

However….it's expensive. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to get the skills (find a mentor, join the Mountaineers, read and practice Freedom of the Hills yourself), but the course I took was a great way to learn and practice everything in a controlled setting very quickly.

Let me know if you have specific questions. They run a great shop up there if you're willing to pay for it.
Thank you.
RockOn
I'm a big fan of these guides when getting in to something new quickly, and in a safe way.

If Utah is of any interest to you - this a good outfit: https://utahmountainadventures.com/
NoHo Hank
AG
What are your goals? Do you want to summit a couple cool, technical peaks or do you want to build a base on core mountaineering skills so you can make this a longer term hobby/passion?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.