Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stryd

849 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
BQ2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had some "wellness dollars" from work I had to spend or lose so I just ordered a Stryd (have more than enough shoes).
I know little to nothing about training with running power but I see that it looks like Stryd has marathon training plans that use power and time instead of miles. Has anyone used their plans with success? Any other tips for those that have used it?
AggieOO
I have one of the non wind ones, but its mostly worthless for me since I run trail. That said, it seems to work well for road running. I did a lot of road training with it and liked it for that, but eventually gave up on it due to me racing trail.

Also, it doesn't work well on treadmills. No clue why, but its a constant complaint on the stryd groups. The founders, app developers, etc are active in those groups and will automatically dismiss literally anything that could be an issue with stryd. They always blame everything on the watch, the treadmills, whatever. They won't even entertain the possibility that they might need to look at their own product. That rubbed me the wrong way.

Overall, for road running, I think it's a good product.
htxag09
AG
Interesting. I'd have guessed treadmills would be one of the areas where it'd be really good/beneficial.
ptothemo
AG
Really long post, but I started typing and had more to say than I realized.

I have used one on every single run for a 2.5 years now, and I love the data that I get from it, with a couple of caveats.

I don't train by power, either in planning or on a day to day basis. My training is based on a combination of time on feet or mileage, heart rate, and pace. I do use the power as metric to gauge fitness, and I also use it to reconcile that output with other metrics after running.

I really like the running stress score that you get from Stryd and find that to be considerably more informative than recovery time from Garmin.

I have never had issues on a treadmill so long as I am at lower incline. Stryd will not recognize incline on a treadmill, so the power needed to run at a higher incline won't be recognized. There is some convoluted way to use the Stryd profile on your watch to manually input the incline for segments of a run, but it's way too complicated for me to try to deal with it. The unfortunate thing for me is that most of my treadmill running is to simulate hills, so I am losing something by not getting a correct power reading. It bothers me, but I've just gotten over it.

The people at Stryd are helpful in that they will help you find whatever you are doing wrong so long as it's something other than their product. I had one race where I got bad readings (and therefore results that looked better than they were). I reached out to them for help, and they wanted me to go through a ton of providing data, manual testing, etc etc to help them help me. I found it to be very defensive and unhelpful as mentioned by OO. In the end, I didn't have the Stryd attached properly (offset laces on the Alphaflys), but it was a pain in the ass to get to that realization. No issues with either the Vaporflys or Alphaflys now that I know that.

My overall view of and experience with Stryd has been great. I won't run without mine on at this point, and I really like and use the analytics that I get from it. I am sure that if I really set my mind to training by power that it could be a good thing. I just haven't ever done that.
mrsbeer05
AG
BQ2001 said:

I had some "wellness dollars" from work I had to spend or lose so I just ordered a Stryd (have more than enough shoes).
I know little to nothing about training with running power but I see that it looks like Stryd has marathon training plans that use power and time instead of miles. Has anyone used their plans with success? Any other tips for those that have used it?
I've used it for years, but I don't use their plans because at $10 a month it just isn't worth it to me. However, I have found it pretty easy to adjust various plans to my Stryd zones. Unlike AggieOO, I actually like it on the treadmill and feel like it works pretty well with my Garmin watch. The incline setting is annoying AF, but I'm used to it by now.

Training with power took some getting used to but now I don't even look at pace most of the time. I also feel that my paces are inline with what Stryd says should be the effort for each zone. The thing I like the most is that incline is taken into account. When we lived in Alabama and had serious hills in our neighborhood, it was nice to know how to stay in Zone 2 while running up a 7% hill.

I would suggest doing the zone setting workout (9/3 test) initially rather than letting your zones get figured out over time.

AggieOO
Maybe they have fixed the treadmill issue. I don't pay close attention to the groups anymore since I stopped using mine a while back, but it use to be brought up almost daily. Of course, if you ask stryd, there was never an issue to fix.

I think what ultimately made me give up stryd was when I trained for a mostly non technical 50 mile trail race, and was doing most training on roads. I used stryd and did all my training by power. I knew the stryd battery wouldn't last the entire race, but figured i mostly wanted it for the first half to keep me from going out too fast. Then the day of the race came and it was raining. Ankle deep water/mud. Stryd isn't waterproof, so I couldn't use it at all after doing all my training with it.
AggieOO
hopefully you held off on buying. they just announced the new version today.
BQ2001
AG
still in the return window so I just started that today. I have great timing.
mrsbeer05
AG
You're welcome to my 20%off code, although getting the 6 months of their pay stuff is cheaper
AggieOO
since it was mentioned, ran across this today:

https://www.ivoidwarranties.com/2019/08/stryd-is-slow-only-on-treadmill.html

the blog post is a few years old, so maybe stryd has fixed this issue. I do know there is now an "indoor running" option on the app, so maybe that is the key.
BQ2001
AG
I'd be interested in it if you want to share. My email is bq2001 at gmail
I just mailed mine back today.
mrsbeer05
AG
email sent
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.