Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Tipping massage therapist (am I the ahole?)

2,473 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Geriatric Punk
Howard Roark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend of mine's nephew just finished massage therapy school but is still in the process of getting his license. I set up an appointment with him for a 90min session and it was one of the best massages I've ever had tbh. He charged me $90 for the massage plus a $30 fee to come to my home.

I'm trying to determine what most people think the appropriate tip would be in this situation; $120 total for a 90min massage seems pretty standard and normally I would tip at least 20%, but I've always gone to establishments that I'm sure take a pretty big cut. In this case, the $120 cash is going directly into the massage therapist's pocket. And technically they're not even licensed yet.

Recently my friend mentioned that their nephew (the massage therapist) was a little frustrated that he "came to (my) house" and I told him it was one of the best massages I've ever had, but didn't leave him a tip. My friend laughed it off but now I'm wondering if I'm the ass hole in this situation? What does TexAgs say?
bam02
AG
I don't think it's very professional for a so-called professional to ***** about not getting a tip.
TXTransplant
I have an experienced massage therapist who comes to my home. Her fee for 90 min was $80, all in, and I always gave her $100. She recently had to raise her fee to $100, and I now give her $120.

I'm a generous tipper with the service providers who provide a great service and are easy to work with. Basically, I want them to know I appreciate them, and hopefully they are more flexible with me in return (not that I'm difficult or anything, but they know I'm a reliable client that tips well).

With that said, I kind of see that $30 fee to come to your home as being part of the tip. You're basically paying him $120, which is what I pay mine with tip. And I think that's a fair rate for an independent therapist (one who doesn't have to pay overhead for a storefront).
CC09LawAg
If this person is not having to give a % of what they are charging to anyone and are setting their own price, why should they expect a tip?

Charge what you believe your service to be worth and people will pay it. Or they won't.

Clearly, by his own evaluation of his talents, he is not charging enough for his services if he expected you to pay $X + $____.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Massages, a holes and tipping. Wow!
NoahAg
The whole societal construct of tipping is absurd.
Let's go, Brandon!
Absolute
AG
CC09LawAg said:

If this person is not having to give a % of what they are charging to anyone and are setting their own price, why should they expect a tip?

Charge what you believe your service to be worth and people will pay it. Or they won't.

Clearly, by his own evaluation of his talents, he is not charging enough for his services if he expected you to pay $X + $____.

This. If he is or is going to be his own boss, he should charge what he thinks he is worth and not expect a tip. That is the plus and the minus of being in business for yourself.

Every once a while I have a client tip me for an inspection. Not sure if they don't know it is my company or what. I say it isn't necessary, but won't argue with them. Some will say something like "I want to buy you lunch.".

ukbb2003
Yeah, this whole tipping thing has gone off the rails. Prime example, wife and I went to Crave Cupcakes. Insert the credit card and the person turns the tablet around and asks if we want to leave a tip. A tip…for putting cupcakes in a box. Seriously?!?! It's ridiculous, but they put you on the spot and make you feel like an A Hole if you don't.
AggieOO
It's literally everywhere now.

I'm on my phone, so too lazy to post the meme about seeing and iPad and knowing you are about to tip for something you've never tipped for before.
500,000ags
AG
Lol, I just got done tipping 17% (lowest amount) for a rice bowl. Pretty awesome tipping that much when I wait thru a line, get my own drink, and throw my own stuff away.
Cepe
AG
It is an unusual concept. I usually do 15-20% for massage. Same for a good meal.

Part of it is I can afford it now to be generous and part is because people expect older people to be cheap.

My oldest daughter lives in Greece and she got after me for tipping too much. It's considered obnoxious and Americans do it. There, for a good meal you might lay down 1 euro but don't even have to do that.

It's hard for me to feel cheap but that's how it is there.
NoahAg
500,000ags said:

Lol, I just got done tipping 17% (lowest amount) for a rice bowl. Pretty awesome tipping that much when I wait thru a line, get my own drink, and throw my own stuff away.
Did we just eat lunch next to each other?
Let's go, Brandon!
aggiederelict
I'm a physical therapist who doesn't leave an option for a tip. I own my business and charge accordingly. But massage therapy falls in the wellness space more than the medical space which is why a tip is part of the industry. I personally wouldn't tip on $120 for a massage from someone who isn't even licensed yet but I also wouldn't get a massage from a new grad.

It blows my mind still you can see a massage therapist off the street but need a referral after 2 weeks to see a PT even though a massage therapist did 6 months of training and it takes way way longer it be a PT.
bam02
AG
ukbb2003 said:

Yeah, this whole tipping thing has gone off the rails. Prime example, wife and I went to Crave Cupcakes. Insert the credit card and the person turns the tablet around and asks if we want to leave a tip. A tip…for putting cupcakes in a box. Seriously?!?! It's ridiculous, but they put you on the spot and make you feel like an A Hole if you don't.

It's obnoxious. I also noticed a recent takeout receipt offered % suggestions that ranged from 20-30%. It was like 20% = xx.xx up 30%!!!
htxag09
AG
I'd say the hospitality industry has done a pretty good job of using social media to throw a pity party and attack people who don't tip. Thus making most people feel obligated to tip.

Everyone on this thread could list countless of examples of asinine situations in which we're expected to tip or prompted to tip. But they ask because they get it.....
TXTransplant
AggieOO said:

It's literally everywhere now.

I'm on my phone, so too lazy to post the meme about seeing and iPad and knowing you are about to tip for something you've never tipped for before.

Am I the only person who doesn't iPad tip after I stand in line at a counter and take my food back to the table myself? Does that make me a jerk?
ukbb2003
In reality, we (consumer) probably pay for it either way.

A) employer pays the employee a low wage but the chance to make extra tips with this new way of tipping. Results in lower price point for food/items.

B) employer pays employee a better wage, does not have the new way of tipping and raises price of food/items.

Either way we pay more. Now, do we pay 15-30% more in option B? Doubtful.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Just wanted to come and say I love the username. The Fountainhead is one of my favorite books.
tamu2009
AG
Thread bump to see if anyone had an in home rec for someone in Dallas.
javajaws
AG
You could always ask him what percentage of his cash income he is not declaring to the IRS and see how that goes over...
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
agracer
AG
ukbb2003 said:

The server doesn't get the tip in the cases like this. It just goes in the pockets of the owners of the store. You're just paying more than the advertised price. It's like doing your taxes and then handing the IRS extra money.
Geriatric Punk
AG
10% for take out (from an actual restaurant, not for fuggin' cupcake. FFS).
20% for personal services.

That's fairly standard. However, in your circumstance, dude is not in a position to complain seeing how he is making money without being licensed. The $30 in home fee is weird, but I haven't had an in-home in a while. All in all - don't sweat it.

And, ya, I went to a brewery not too long ago and got a 4 pack to-go. The ipad had tip options for 20, 25, 30% for grabbing beer out of the cooler behind them. Ya...I just laughed.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.