Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Mora Half Marathon Race Report

1,114 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Swarely
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are we still doing race reports? I had a good one this weekend and know that I enjoy reading them so thought I would share.

Mora Half Marathon

Final Time: 1:19:48 (an almost 2:00 Personal Best)
Place: 2nd Overall!

Background
I'm five weeks out from the Berlin Marathon and this was a test of fitness race for me to see what a realistic goal is for Berlin. I went into the race hoping for something like 1:21:xx or 1:20:xx. In the last two months, especially the last four weeks, I've had a ton of volume (over 70 mpw twice) and 21 days of running in a row, including adding doubles and so i was excited to see if the volume was helping.

Course and Conditions
The course definitely had a few up and downs. Nothing major or anything like the hills I run around my house but definitely noticeable. It was also super humid...the temp and the dewpoint matched (62*) and so while it wasn't hot at all, it was very muggy. Nothing debilitating or anything but definitely noticeable over the distance. Also, the wind picked up in the middle of the race. I think that helped from a dewpoint/humidity aspect but made for a slog in the middle miles.

Miles 0 - 3 (6:13, 6:09:6:02)
I had intended to go out a little bit more slowly but after looking around at the start and realizing I could probably win or finish in the top 3 (and win a trophy) I made the decision to stick around the front and see what happened. One of the guys blasted off the front around 5:50 and so I let him go but a little bit of a pack formed behind him and so we all kind of hung together in the first three miles. The miles felt comfortable...a little intimidating from a pace aspect but I kept a check on my effort and it felt right in line with where I thought it should be. My HR was a little bit high but as mile 3 went on, it started to drop as I settled in and so I got more confidence that maybe I could hold these paces.

Mile 4 - 6 (6:04, 6:06, 6:12)
Late in mile 3, most of the chase pack took off and I let them go, just worried that I was running much faster than plan and also taking note that most of them were breathing too hard for this early in the race. At that point I figured I would catch them at some point. That proved to be both a good move and something that cost me some time. I caught all but one of the runners in mile 6. The one that "got away" was a lead woman who got out pretty far from me, and looking back, I wished I would have had the confidence to go with her and stay with her because...

Miles 7 - 9 (6:21(took a gel), 6:18, 6:21w/15sec bathroom break)
Miles 7 & 8 were an absolute grind. At the end of mile 6, we turned North, which was into the wind and also uphill. It wasn't a huge hill but I basically got caught in the wind and running the hill by myself. Looking back, I wish I had the confidence to go with the woman as I think I could have run it much faster with a partner to break the wind with.
Another issue I had was my stomach. It felt fine until mile 5. I started to notice a little bit of stomach grumbling but didn't think much of it. It did start to grow though. In my plan, I had the idea to take a gel at the aid station closest to half way. I probably didn't need it and probably shouldn't have as my stomach was a little bit rumbly already but I did it and ended up have to make a quick stop in mile 9. The good news was that stop was quick...like Shalane Flanagan at Boston 2018 quick...and so I didn't lose much time...15 seconds approximately.

Miles 10 - Finish (5:54, 5:48, 5:52, 5:51, 5:37/pace)
I came out of the bathroom like a rocket, feeling much better. It also coincided with a turn to bring us back down hill and down wind and so I got a lot of momentum from that. I also began to reel the lead woman in...and it was nice to have someone to chase. It made me stay focused on keeping a strong pace. Near the end of mile 9, I realized that if I could run something like a 24 minute final 4.1 miles, I could break 1:20, something I had only kind of considered at the start of the race. And so the race was on. I caught the lead woman about a mile and a half from the end and just get the foot on the gas as we turn back uphill and into the wind towards the finish. I was determined not to let the potty stop be the reason I didn't break 1:20. I was pretty happy when I finally saw the finish line clock and had seconds to spare to keep it under 1:20. That was a good feeling and a cool experience.

Lessons Learned
I'm super happy with the race and how I closed. I mean I ran an 18:00 5k to close out the race! I don't think I've run a 5k that fast since high school...and this was after a 10 mile "warmup".

But does closing that strong mean I left some time on the course? Should I have gone out faster or pushed the limits through the middle miles and run more even splits? Stomach issue aside, I'm used to time trialing and not racing, per se. I think I could have run slightly faster if I had been able to go with the lead woman and the share the load of the wind...it was rough. But I'm also aware that too fast of miles in the middle might have lead to a different finish. I think I'd love to race some races in the fall/early winter and really find the edge, not caring if it goes wrong.

All in all, I think the summer of training and volume is really paying off. It's fun and motivating to run such fast times (relatively speaking). It's also fun to win a trophy and know that the only guy who beat you was 22 and just graduated in May having run XC at a D3 school here in Minnesota.

What's Next
And now begins the final march towards Berlin! Given the times, I think I have a good shot of breaking the 2:50 barrier (I went 2:51 in June) and possibly scaring the 2:45 mark if conditions are favorable and I have a good day.

Needless to say, buoyed by the success of this race, I'm looking forward to Berlin and other races in the future. I was just telling someone at my office...it's fun being more fit and faster than I have been in decades. I also think more racing will lead to more confidence at the paces I'm running which will also lead to faster times. Something that will only happen over time but I'm excited for the future!

wcb
AG
Incredible race. I only dream of numbers like that. Congrats.
Swarely
Good job! What gel were you using? I've been working with the maurten ones and absolutely love them. See you in Berlin! (I'll be the guy over an hour behind you)
Sooner Born
I typically use Gu Salted Watermelon (I buy them by the box) which is what I used in this race. I am practicing with Maurten in my long runs for Berlin though. However, the price is prohibitive for constant use of Maurten, imo.

Where are you staying in Berlin? We should connect. Might be fun to grab a beer afterwards.
Matsui
AG
Wow. Amazing. Thanks for sharing. Love the story.
wangus12
AG

Seriously what an incredible race. Outstanding!
Swarely
Right next to the Central Station. I'm actually headed to Amsterdam pretty much as soon as the race ends. Maybe the day before?
bert harbinson
AG
Great race and recap. You're ready.
The Pilot
AG
Fantastic race! You are going to kill Berlin!
94chem
I'm 50, took up running 5 years ago, and would love to break a 6 minute mile. I got to 6:07 last year. And here you go dropping 13 of them in a row. Nice job!
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
coop-aero-06
AG
Huge congrats! Sounds like you're going to have a fantastic race at Berlin.

Reading your comments about listening to how hard the other runners in the pack are breathing reminds me of myself. I like to do the same thing; and it gives me more confidence when I've got my breath under control and I can tell that others are laboring.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Congratulation on your incredible half marathon time. You will crush the Berlin Marathon. I have ran 1 full marathon (2022 Austin Marathon) and 8 half marathons, and my fastest time was 1:37:02 (2017 Republic of Texas Half Marathon in College Station). My fastest 2-mile time on an Army Phsycical Fitness Test was 12:40 or 6:20 average, but I would not be able to sustain that for 13.1 miles.
94chem
Sooner Born said:

I typically use Gu Salted Watermelon (I buy them by the box) which is what I used in this race. I am practicing with Maurten in my long runs for Berlin though. However, the price is prohibitive for constant use of Maurten, imo.

Where are you staying in Berlin? We should connect. Might be fun to grab a beer afterwards.

You ever tried SIS? I like them because they don't require water. But then again I wonder if they work at all...any of them. Gatorade has carbs too, and I always carry caffeine pills and Albuterol anyway.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Sooner Born
I haven't tried SiS but I don't mind drinking water when I take gels. If I'm running long enough to need a gel then I'm running long enough to need water too.
Swarely
I changed to a later flight tomorrow. Where are you posting up after the race? Mind you I'll be finishing at least an hour behind you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.